sand bag training and how to make it info

adidamps2

great info posted on another board by a memebr there on how to build a decent duffle bag sand bag..this is his exact post in text..so the story with in did not happen to me...i can guarentee you that this become part of my training from now on on tire drag days..
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Made new bags the other day. I didn’t see anything posted, so I thought I would explain what I did:

Items needed:

1. 2mil or 3mil construction garbage bags (I used 3mil) = $7 for 50+
2. Duct Tape = $3
3. Sand = $3 - $4 per 50lb bag, from Lowes or Home Depot
4. Army Duffle bag = $12

Steps:

1. Pour desired amount of sand in 3mil bag. I did not pack it because I want the sand to move around a little in the bag. I made a 150lb bag, so I poured 3 bags of sand into the 3mil bag. I sealed the first bag with duct tape and then tripled the bag, sealing all three bags with duct tape before placing into the other.
2. I then placed the sealed 3mil bags into the army duffle bag and closed all straps on the army duffle bag.

And there you have it…..hehehe I made a 100lb, 150lb and 200lbs bag this week. For cardio I will take the 100lb abd 150lb bag to a track and walk around.

I live in NY. I did this around my block, but was stopped by the police. I guess seeing a 250lbs sweaty guy carrying a big army duffle bag thru the streets of NY looked a little suspect….LOLOL

the 200lb bag is mostly for squatting.

Here is a previous post by NeverSatisfied on Sandbags.

The sandbags will give you the most versatility, allowing you to do endless different exercises. Sleds or moderate-sized tires will offer great versatility as well, so they should also be a priority. I use sandbags for almost every exercise imaginable, including basic moves such as carries, rows, squats, rotations, lunges, and military presses.

We also do combos and complexes using other movements such as Turkish get-ups, shouldering into squatting, burpees into snatches, clean, squat and press, and thrusters.

We also combine walking with movements. This way we work on conditioning, static strength, strength, and power, simultaneously. Try walking with a sandbag and every ten steps perform three to five reps of an exercise. Walk and squat, walk and bent-over row, walk and shouldering, walk and then clean and press. The possibilities are endless!

Two variations when using two sandbags at the same time.

Wanna work on power? You can throw your sandbag: squat and push throw, scoop toss, or rotational throw. You can throw the bag by starting from the ground to work on starting strength and power, or you can pre-swing the bag before throwing it to gain some momentum.

For the combat athletes I train, we often focus on time-under-tension and keep cranking out sandbag exercises for up to six minutes straight without putting it down. This trains the body and mind in a variety of ways and allows us to mimic much of what the body endures during an actual grappling or wrestling match. The carryover this has on the athletes' conditioning is phenomenal.

I was JUST about to post a sandbag ? thread..

thanks bro...

i searched ology and only found 1 thread with sandbag in it. It was an IA post. He didnt go into any detail about the training though.

thanks again!

thanks Guys, just went and got 150lbs of sand yesterday..will be putting something togehter soon with to train with.

adidamps2 said:
great info posted on another board by a memebr there on how to build a decent duffle bag sand bag..this is his exact post in text..so the story with in did not happen to me...i can guarentee you that this become part of my training from now on on tire drag days..
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Made new bags the other day. I didn’t see anything posted, so I thought I would explain what I did:

Items needed:

1. 2mil or 3mil construction garbage bags (I used 3mil) = $7 for 50+
2. Duct Tape = $3
3. Sand = $3 - $4 per 50lb bag, from Lowes or Home Depot
4. Army Duffle bag = $12

Steps:

1. Pour desired amount of sand in 3mil bag. I did not pack it because I want the sand to move around a little in the bag. I made a 150lb bag, so I poured 3 bags of sand into the 3mil bag. I sealed the first bag with duct tape and then tripled the bag, sealing all three bags with duct tape before placing into the other.
2. I then placed the sealed 3mil bags into the army duffle bag and closed all straps on the army duffle bag.

And there you have it…..hehehe I made a 100lb, 150lb and 200lbs bag this week. For cardio I will take the 100lb abd 150lb bag to a track and walk around.

I live in NY. I did this around my block, but was stopped by the police. I guess seeing a 250lbs sweaty guy carrying a big army duffle bag thru the streets of NY looked a little suspect….LOLOL

the 200lb bag is mostly for squatting.

Here is a previous post by NeverSatisfied on Sandbags.

The sandbags will give you the most versatility, allowing you to do endless different exercises. Sleds or moderate-sized tires will offer great versatility as well, so they should also be a priority. I use sandbags for almost every exercise imaginable, including basic moves such as carries, rows, squats, rotations, lunges, and military presses.

We also do combos and complexes using other movements such as Turkish get-ups, shouldering into squatting, burpees into snatches, clean, squat and press, and thrusters.

We also combine walking with movements. This way we work on conditioning, static strength, strength, and power, simultaneously. Try walking with a sandbag and every ten steps perform three to five reps of an exercise. Walk and squat, walk and bent-over row, walk and shouldering, walk and then clean and press. The possibilities are endless!

Two variations when using two sandbags at the same time.

Wanna work on power? You can throw your sandbag: squat and push throw, scoop toss, or rotational throw. You can throw the bag by starting from the ground to work on starting strength and power, or you can pre-swing the bag before throwing it to gain some momentum.

For the combat athletes I train, we often focus on time-under-tension and keep cranking out sandbag exercises for up to six minutes straight without putting it down. This trains the body and mind in a variety of ways and allows us to mimic much of what the body endures during an actual grappling or wrestling match. The carryover this has on the athletes' conditioning is phenomenal.

Get a punching bag from academy and fill it with sand. That would be easy and durable.

great post bro.i coach youth football (as well as bieng a trainer) and i,ve been looking for a way to incorparate some medicine ball like work into my training for my team. this is a great inexpensive way to do this. ive already got plans to built a sand bag sled for pulling out of some old backpacks and duffel bags with ropes attached. great post - really get the wheels turning , as the possibilities are truly endless bieng that it is so damn affordable. thanks!

would it be possible for you to post a non action picture of your sandbag?

im curious what duffle bag you used. I went to a army surplus store today and couldn't find one that seemed right. (i did walk out with a nice new knife, hats and some marine t-shirts :> ).

mahalo

Back