So wrong about DNP....

Andy13

Community Veteran, The Chemist
I think this is the first time anyone has posted anything regarding DNP and positive effects on health. First, let me make clear, this is for informational purposes only. Since the 1930’s, there have been no clinical trials using DNP. The information I am presenting is based on a rat model, the closest we can get to simulating effects in humans.

DNP Reduces the production of damaging free radicals

Free radicals are generated from electron transport during aerobic respiration. When electrons are passed down the electron transport chain, protons are pumped into the inner membrane space, creating a proton gradient. The potential energy of this gradient is used to synthesize ATP from ADP and PO4. Occasionally, electrons are diverted to molecular oxygen at points during electron transport rather than proceeding through subsequent electron carriers. This one-electron reduction of oxygen generates superoxide (O2*-). This is a reactive oxygen species (ROS, a free radical) that is wreaks havoc on cellular components such as lipids, proteins, and DNA. Generation of ROS is undesirable. ROS cause oxidative damage. Oxidative damage is associated with onset of neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease as well as cancer and aging.

DNP works by uncoupling oxidative phosphorylation. Specifically, DNP decreases the proton motive force by transporting protons back into the matrix. In essence, the cell has to work harder to make the same amount of ATP. What is interesting is that a decreased proton motive force and electro chemical gradient is associated with a REDUCED production of reactive oxygen species. Even though more substrates are metabolized and more electrons are passed through the electron transport chain (respiration is increase) to make the same amount of ATP, LESS damaging reactive oxygen species are generated. Oxidative damage from ROS is linked to onset of neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases as well as cancer and the process of aging. Mild uncoupling of oxidative phosphorylation (by DNP) has been shown to provide a protective effect against oxidative damage-mediated neurodegeneration in rats.

DNP, which causes mild uncoupling, may in fact be beneficial for one’s health. The dosage and administration frequency of DNP to provide these benefits remains unclear. It is quite possible that a dose of DNP too low to cause significant weight loss could still be have positive effects against undesirable ROS production.

J Neurotrauma. 2005 Oct;22(10):1142-9.

The uncoupling agent 2,4-dinitrophenol improves mitochondrial homeostasis following striatal quinolinic acid injections.

Korde AS, Sullivan PG, Maragos WF.

It is now generally accepted that excitotoxic cell death involves bioenergetic failure resulting from the cycling of Ca2+ and the generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) by mitochondria. Both Ca2+ cycling and ROS formation by mitochondria are dependent on the mitochondrial membrane potential (Deltapsi(m)) that results from the proton gradient that is generated across the inner membrane. Mitochondrial uncoupling refers to a condition in which protons cross the inner membrane back into the matrix while bypassing the ATP synthase. As a consequence of this "short-circuit," there is a reduction in Deltapsi(m). We have previously demonstrated that animals treated with the classic uncoupling agent 2,4-dinitrophenol (DNP) show significant protection against brain damage following striatal injections of the NMDA agonist quinolinic acid (QA). In an effort to elucidate the mechanism of neuroprotection, we have assessed the effects of DNP on several parameters of mitochondrial function caused by QA. The results presented herein demonstrate that treatment with DNP attenuates QA-induced increases in mitochondrial Ca2+ levels and ROS formation and also improves mitochondrial respiration. Our findings indicate that DNP may confer protection against acute brain injury involving excitotoxic pathways by mechanisms that maintain mitochondrial function.

J Neurochem. 2005 Sep;94(6):1676-84. Epub 2005 Jul 25.

The mitochondrial uncoupler 2,4-dinitrophenol attenuates tissue damage and improves mitochondrial homeostasis following transient focal cerebral ischemia.

Korde AS, Pettigrew LC, Craddock SD, Maragos WF.

Ischemic stroke is caused by acute neuronal degeneration provoked by interruption of cerebral blood flow. Although the mechanisms contributing to ischemic neuronal degeneration are myriad, mitochondrial dysfunction is now recognized as a pivotal event that can lead to either necrotic or apoptotic neuronal death. Lack of suitable 'upstream' targets to prevent loss of mitochondrial homeostasis has, so far, restricted the development of mechanistically based interventions to promote neuronal survival. Here, we show that the uncoupling agent 2,4 dinitrophenol (DNP) reduces infarct volume approximately 40% in a model of focal ischemia-reperfusion injury in the rat brain. The mechanism of protection involves an early decrease in mitochondrial reactive oxygen species formation and calcium uptake leading to improved mitochondrial function and a reduction in the release of cytochrome c into the cytoplasm. The observed effects of DNP were not associated with enhanced cerebral perfusion. These findings indicate that compounds with uncoupling properties may confer neuroprotection through a mechanism involving stabilization of mitochondrial function.

J Neurotrauma. 2004 Oct;21(10):1396-404.
The mitochondrial uncoupling agent 2,4-dinitrophenol improves mitochondrial function, attenuates oxidative damage, and increases white matter sparing in the contused spinal cord.

Jin Y, McEwen ML, Nottingham SA, Maragos WF, Dragicevic NB, Sullivan PG, Springer JE.

The purpose of this study was to investigate the potential neuroprotective efficacy of the mitochondrial uncoupler 2,4-dinitrophenol (DNP) in rats following a mild to moderate spinal cord contusion injury. Animals received intraperitoneal injections of vehicle (DMSO) or 5 mg/mL of DNP prior to injury. Twenty-four hours following surgery, mitochondrial function was assessed in mitochondria isolated from spinal cord synaptosomes. In addition, synaptosomes were used to measure indicators of reactive oxygen species formation, lipid peroxidation, and protein oxidation. Relative to vehicle-treated animals, pretreatment with DNP maintained mitochondrial bioenergetics and significantly decreased reactive oxygen species levels, lipid peroxidation, and protein carbonyl content following spinal cord injury. Furthermore, pretreatment with DNP significantly increased the amount of remaining white matter at the injury epicenter 6 weeks after injury. These results indicate that treatment with mitochondrial uncoupling agents may provide a novel approach for the treatment of secondary injury following spinal cord contusion.

ulter said:
That's great news because SesaPure does the same thing. :)

Yeah, but can you stand naked outside in 20 degree weather and feel just fine now that you've finally gotten some air, lol?

I love dnp...I think I might have to take some right now...of course, I'll open the cap up and tap a few crystals of dnp out in memory of the fallen (the guru).

I sure miss that guy. :(

Btw, nice post Andy.

Would mild work out to .5-1mg/lb bw? Less? I wonder what long term effects would be of taking something like 20-50mg/day of dnp would be, both positive and negative? And for 3 months or so...

My GF took 50mg ED for about a month. She lost 10 lbs, but in proportion to her bodyweight thats a lot (she's like 97 lbs).

TxLonghorn said:
Would mild work out to .5-1mg/lb bw? Less? I wonder what long term effects would be of taking something like 20-50mg/day of dnp would be, both positive and negative? And for 3 months or so...

It is impossible to say..

Obviously there are levels of uncoupling, beginning with "mild" uncoupling, which allows the same amount of ATP to be made, but makes the cells "work harder" for it. There is more severe uncoupling, which may compromise ATP syntheisis, and there is COMPLETE uncoupling, where no ATP is made, and all the energy is thrown off as heat. My guess is that theraputic doses of DNP for fat loss fall somewhere between the first two (but closer to the first).

Short, mild uncoupling may well provide a preventative effect against oxidative damage caused by stroke or or brain trauma. Chronic uncoupling of respiration likely causes deliterious effects to the cell. Where is the middle ground, and at what dose?

We will never know until DNP is re-opened for clinical trials..... NOT for weight loss, but, rather, for these other effects.

I know we lost a member of the community at one point to DNP but I don't know if I was around at that point. What were the circumstances? Was it abuse or carelessnes, a bad batch or just bad luck? I would just like to know because I can't find it anywhere and it would be good to know what defintiely not to do.

02gixxersix said:
I know we lost a member of the community at one point to DNP but I don't know if I was around at that point. What were the circumstances? Was it abuse or carelessnes, a bad batch or just bad luck? I would just like to know because I can't find it anywhere and it would be good to know what defintiely not to do.
if its the guy im thinking about he was on super high doses [ 1g plus i think ]

DADAWG said:
if its the guy im thinking about he was on super high doses [ 1g plus i think ]
jesus that's insane... i'm on 400mgs/day right now and the heat just comes in waves. i've been up to 600 and i wanted to run around naked on the mountaintops lol. i can't even imagine 1000+. there's no ceiling to the bodytemp either...
~KITTY

Kitty, there are mountaintops where I live so whenever you get that urge again I'll buy you a plane ticket. :)

Just finished running DNP for 28 days at 200mg and dropped from 220 to 203.5. My last day was sunday but for some reason today I was up to 207 hmmmmm. Still waiting for any water to subside.

I've seen a source carrying Crystalline DNP with several anti-oxidants as fillers which has been reported to be better than the regular bulk powder form. Anyone have anything to say about that? I'm thinking about picking some up for future use.

Any uncoupler will reduce free radicals... the problem is that DNP is not selective for just the oxidative phosphorylation pathway and has other effects on the body. The studies cited are good but the introduction is separate from any of them and makes misleading claims regarding positive effects of DNP on one's general health. If you notice the studies they only cite it as a potential therapy in acute instances.

RB

Popichulo said:
Just finished running DNP for 28 days at 200mg and dropped from 220 to 203.5. My last day was sunday but for some reason today I was up to 207 hmmmmm. Still waiting for any water to subside.

Is this the current opinion on dosing it? I know you are a DNP vet but I am just asking in general. One low dose throughout for a long time?

I didn't see a cycle diary in your threads but point me to it if you did one. I'm curious how you felt.

RB

A nother possible health advantage of DNP:

"Interestingly, one medical theory on a health ADVANTAGE of DNP is that the slight increase in thermogenic temperature stimulates the fever a body induces during a viral attack. The body increases it's heat to protect organs but kill viruses, and some theorize that DNP can do the same thing, thus killing viruses in the body. In this mechanism, DNP may have an immune-enhancing effect."

Deepglute said:
A nother possible health advantage of DNP:

"Interestingly, one medical theory on a health ADVANTAGE of DNP is that the slight increase in thermogenic temperature stimulates the fever a body induces during a viral attack. The body increases it's heat to protect organs but kill viruses, and some theorize that DNP can do the same thing, thus killing viruses in the body. In this mechanism, DNP may have an immune-enhancing effect."
i hadnt considered that

Isn't the increased bodyfat reduction during DNP use causing a lot of free radical formation? This is always the reason I've uped my anti-ox intake during it's use. Are we suggesting here that that's unecessary?

Back