Squat Dilemma

Chaz B

I'm 5' 6", 22 years old, 173 pounds and pretty much been learing since I was a freshman in high school. When we would squat for powerlifting I was taught to go just below parallel and back up. Now that I have no sports to train for I'm tryin to get as big as possible and I've been told to go ass to the floor when I squat, so I try this the other day. I WAS squatting 360 pounds for 8 reps parallel, but had to drop clear down to 175 just to get my form right taking my ass to the ground. I thought I was making good progress with just parallel, is it worth it to pretty much start over again and go ass to the grass? Any help is appreciated.....

yup it is. youll catch back up quick enough. add heavy abs and hip work to your routine to speed things along. also some posterior core work.

Hey PB, I was just curious how deep someone has to squat in a regulation powerlifting meet.

Gotta get in the bucket baby! Your poundage will climb again pretty quick once you get used to the form, keep that core tight and ass down. Good luck bro.

dude said:
Hey PB, I was just curious how deep someone has to squat in a regulation powerlifting meet.

you also have to remember that the majority of PL'er squat wide..
for me it is impossible to squat ATF with my wide stance no matter how much weight is on the bar..squatting wide also uses a lot less quads and more hip/glutes

for legal depth the hip crease must break the top of the knee..In a comp you DO NOT get extra points for going ass to floor which is the reason why most PL dont give a shit about squatting that low

this is a parallel squat. the rules state you must break this plain to ge a squat passed.

if you train raw though learn to squat well past this so if you do suit up you wont have a hard time making depth. belt, wraps, suits, trainers all hinder depth.

i squat with a medium stance and high bar so i dont have problems going deep raw. when i suit up its tough to make depth with out a fair amount of weight.

thanks for all the help fellas, makes me feel better about dropping the weight, sometimes the little bit of ego you do have tries to get the best of you. ass to the floor it is

ass to the floor bro ,, i feel ya ,, i started out with 165 last set ,,, i'm up to 275 for a set of 10 :good: ass to the floor reps,,,, it comes quick,, but not lighting fast ,, expect about a years worth of hard work and then look back and you'll see.

but i also use a belt,, no straps or suit,, but a belt.

i used to use a belt consistently, 500 pounds or 100 pounds it didn't matter. i forget if it was here or another forum there was a discussion about your abs becoming weak if you used a belt religously, so i'm kind of experimenting with that idea right now, just tryin to get my form down, i've been doing this all wrong for too long just to move more and more weight.

Chaz B said:
i used to use a belt consistently, 500 pounds or 100 pounds it didn't matter. i forget if it was here or another forum there was a discussion about your abs becoming weak if you used a belt religously, so i'm kind of experimenting with that idea right now, just tryin to get my form down, i've been doing this all wrong for too long just to move more and more weight.

lets clear that up a bit "religously" .. ok here it is,, you ever see those men and women that are in the gym and no matter WHAT they do they have a belt on? ... those are the people that have to worry about not working their lower back and abs properly. useing a belt during your heaviest sets ,,, well .. you won't be giveing up much. and most likely preventing injury. just my .02

gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. unfortunately i'm not going to have to worry about those heavy sets with squats for a while, but i do understand what your saying. i've just never witnessed anyone wearing a belt for everything they do, guess i've been fortunate enough to not be surrounded by dumbasses, but thanks again everyone.

Lil boy said:
lets clear that up a bit "religously" .. ok here it is,, you ever see those men and women that are in the gym and no matter WHAT they do they have a belt on? ... those are the people that have to worry about not working their lower back and abs properly. useing a belt during your heaviest sets ,,, well .. you won't be giveing up much. and most likely preventing injury. just my .02

yeah, i have people tell me "the belt is bad" or whatever. Yet i do bent rows no belt no wraps touching the bar to the floor on each rep with 315 for reps. I see no problem wearing a belt for squatting and deadlifting heavy.

I'm all for the belt on heavy squats, heaviest deads set, and some heavy bent row work depending on the angle.

Heck, you guys have it easy, I have two clowns in my gym who cinch up for walking DB lunges. But at least they work out together, so we can keep them somewhat contained, lol! Another two older guys (mid-50s) who wear belts on....the.....treadmill. Maybe they have real bad backs though so I shouldn't give them too much grief.

jcp2 said:
yeah, i have people tell me "the belt is bad" or whatever. Yet i do bent rows no belt no wraps touching the bar to the floor on each rep with 315 for reps. I see no problem wearing a belt for squatting and deadlifting heavy.

Hey jcp2,

First, I'm assuming you meant touching the plates to the floor, not the bar, or no wonder the rows are so light, lol. Curious, what is your height and are you practically upper-body parallel/90-degrees to the floor? I ask because I'm just under 6'5" and usually change bent angle from about 110-140 depending on where I want to emphasize. Obviously on the lower angle it is "easier" to touch-out but some of my limb proportions make the body mechanics difficult at higher angles. Thanks hoss.

Back