Squating below parallel

Nathan

Just wondering what I am missing out on if I only squat to parallel. I was told going lower increases the risk of knee injury. Just dont feel comfortable going below parallel either. What would I stand to gain by going full deep?

When I squat I try to go just below parallel, good form and heavy weight is the key in building big legs. I am not a fan of so called football squats where the lifter uses too much weight and poor form--not going at least to parallel. At the lowest position you are using your glutes more than your knees. Use a spotter if you feel uncomfortable, it is safer that way.

by stopping at parallel you place a lot of stress on the knee joint..some may never actually develop problems but same may get a discomfort when squatting this way..going lower absolutely DOES NOT increase the risk of a knee injury...when going below parallel the stress is transferred to th hips and off the knees..so whoever told you that is wrong..

It's a common myth that going below parallel is bad for the knees, but in actuality stopping at parallel exerts more shear forces on the knee capsule than going all the way down. Now, for bigger guys (I'm talkin O-lineman size, since blackbeard mentioned football) going past parallel CAN be bad, since the hamstrings and calves would act as a lever to stretch the ligaments and tendons in and around the knee, but for the average joe lifter, it is much better to go past parallel.

Oh, and you're missing out on greater glute/ham/quad development by NOT going past parallel.

SpikeyLizard, I dont see how the mechanics of the lift will vary between a big O-lineman and myself. He may weigh more than me but that doesnt change the mechanics of the squat. Unless what you are saying is that if I go heavy stay at parallel but for the lighter reps I should go below parallel. The other fact that puzzles me is if there is so much shear force excerted on the knee at parallel then arent you excerting that force to the knee twice every time you squat below parallel, once on the way down and once on the way up? Seems like twice the amount of wear and tear on the knee for the one lift. What really concerns me about going deep with heavy weights is the strain on the knee at the bottom. I have watched some guys hit the bottom of a deep squat with alot of weight on and actually try to bounce out of the hole. Now I know that isn't good for the knee, and I guess I can totally avoid that sutuation by not going deep with the heavy sets.

dont bounce..ever see coleman squat he bounces a lot with some sick ass weights..i wouldnt recommend squatting like that

Nathan said:
SpikeyLizard, I dont see how the mechanics of the lift will vary between a big O-lineman and myself. He may weigh more than me but that doesnt change the mechanics of the squat. Unless what you are saying is that if I go heavy stay at parallel but for the lighter reps I should go below parallel. The other fact that puzzles me is if there is so much shear force excerted on the knee at parallel then arent you excerting that force to the knee twice every time you squat below parallel, once on the way down and once on the way up? Seems like twice the amount of wear and tear on the knee for the one lift. What really concerns me about going deep with heavy weights is the strain on the knee at the bottom. I have watched some guys hit the bottom of a deep squat with alot of weight on and actually try to bounce out of the hole. Now I know that isn't good for the knee, and I guess I can totally avoid that sutuation by not going deep with the heavy sets.
very few big o linemen and big men in general can get extremely deep while squatting . when i go as deep as i can my calves and hams are compressed together and thats as far as i can possibly go . and bouncing hard at the bottom with heavy weight is a accident waiting to happen .

moreprimopleasemom said:
how about locking knees at the top....good or bad?

and thoughts on rep tempo?
i lock my knees completely after my last rep and sometimes after several reps i will lock them for just a second to get a couple of big breaths so i can grind out a few more reps .

Nathan said:
Just wondering what I am missing out on if I only squat to parallel. I was told going lower increases the risk of knee injury. Just dont feel comfortable going below parallel either. What would I stand to gain by going full deep?

most folks including myself on this board squat below parallel. so you not gonna find an excuse to squat high here. full range of motion incoorporates more muscle groups. thats the advantage, high squats leave out the bottom of the movement, which add more glute, ham, and hip flexor to the movement.

most guys who squat high do it because they can squat more so it makes them look better. in reality it makes a lifter look silly to squat high. most giyus who squat high also have some excuse like, i hurt my bac in high scholol, i have a knee injury, etc.... try um deep and see what happens. drop down in weight and before you know it you be cack to where you were and some. if you knees give you probs then buy some good knee wraps and go heavier.

i have also found that most guys dont know what a parrallel squat is.

Re: Re: Squating below parallel

pullinbig said:
most folks including myself on this board squat below parallel. so you not gonna find an excuse to squat high here. full range of motion incoorporates more muscle groups. thats the advantage, high squats leave out the bottom of the movement, which add more glute, ham, and hip flexor to the movement.

most guys who squat high do it because they can squat more so it makes them look better. in reality it makes a lifter look silly to squat high. most giyus who squat high also have some excuse like, i hurt my bac in high scholol, i have a knee injury, etc.... try um deep and see what happens. drop down in weight and before you know it you be cack to where you were and some. if you knees give you probs then buy some good knee wraps and go heavier.

i have also found that most guys dont know what a parrallel squat is.

This is so true. I used to squat, not high per se, but not parallel. When I dropped weight and started going parallel or better, I noticed an immediate difference. Now I am up even heavier and able to do solid reps.

i got a knee injury and squat ass to grass and it doesnt bother me one bit..however when i was young and dumb i used to squat to about parallel and had knee aches all the time..if youre having a hard time with getting below para i would just start all over with a weight light enough so that you can work on your form...

form is key with squats.....needs to be strict. very easy to hurt yourself with bad form, and good form fixes most of your knee and joint probs

LMAO, yeah, i ussually enjoy taking a sh*t but not after squat day lol. I go ass to my calves, as LOW as I can go, pause for 1 second and back up.

If you aren't goin the full range of motion you are missing out on alot.

Just got done with legs

I just got done with legs and squatted full deep ass to ankles and it kicked my ass. Probably wont be walking tomorrow. Had to drop 100 lbs off my squat just to go down 6 more inches but WOW. Felt like I worked harder tonight more than ever. Thanks for the advice.

Re: Just got done with legs

Nathan said:
I just got done with legs and squatted full deep ass to ankles and it kicked my ass. Probably wont be walking tomorrow. Had to drop 100 lbs off my squat just to go down 6 more inches but WOW. Felt like I worked harder tonight more than ever. Thanks for the advice.
make that your goal to get that 100 lbs back but with excellent form!!! if you do i would think you should see some size dont you :D

Sensei Miagi said:
i would never fully lock knees, can get hurt very easily that way

I agree with this guy.

Plus, I squat until my ass cant go any lower. I dont lock my knees even when im done my last rep.

Back