Started TRT today. Wanted Injections but got Axiron

ROUSH8692

A little background:

I am a 31 y/o male. 5'8" 182 lbs. Complaining of extreme fatigue, brain fog, and heart palpitations for three years among other symptoms. I have never taken anabolic steroids of any kind. I am not a body builder, but I do stay in shape.

After finding this forum 3 months ago I asked my primary care physician to check my Testosterone levels.

This is what was found:

TOTAL TESTOSTERONE 392 ng/dl
FREE TESTOSTERONE 4.00 ng/dl LOW

He was just a primary care physician so he shrugged it off as being low, but normal. Also told me that doctors don't consider Free Test as a valid diagnosis for hypogonadism anyway. I politely asked him for a referral to a endocrinologist.

Went to the Endocrinologist and he said T levels change rapidly, and in order to make a diagnosis for hypogonadism he would have to re test blood by Equilibrium Dialysis (more accurate method). A month later these were the results:

PROLACTIN 5.0 NG/ML 4.0-15.2 RANGE NORMAL

SHBG 27.1nmol/L 16.5-55.9 RANGE NORMAL

TESTOSTERONE FREE/TOTAL EQUILIB
% FREE TEST 4.00% 1.50-4.20 RANGE NORMAL
TEST, SERUM 297ng/dl 348-1197 RANGE LOW
TEST, FREE 11.88ng/dl 5.00-21.00 RANGE NORMAL

FSH AND LH
LH 2.3 mlU/mL 1.7-8.6 RANGE NORMAL
FSH 3.8 mlU/mL 1.5-12.4 RANGE NORMAL

IRON, SERUM 127 ug/dl 40-155 RANGE NORMAL

PSA TOTAL 1.3ng/mL 0.0-4.0 RANGE NORMAL
REFLEX TO FREE

From what I have read, this is Secondary Hypogonadism (correct me if I'm wrong) due to the LH and FSH not being elevated.

Doctor said so you are below 300, we can supplement you.

I asked, "supplement?"

She said yes, we can prescribe testosterone.

I said great! I really would rather use the self injection method. I have been reading up and I would really like to self inject.

She said no, that they don't prescribe self injection there or any injections, because of the fluctuations of levels between injections.

I said, that I would be glad to do smaller injections twice a week even.
She said no.

I said I really don't want gel, it is pricey and messy, and frankly I don't want to be worried about skin to skin contact w anyone.

She said well then I wont prescribe you anything.

I played hardball and said ok..... Well thank you. Im sorry if I offended you.

She then said, Let's do this. . . Try Axiron (the deodorant style testosterone gel) for 60 days. I have free samples that I can give you for 60 days. Try it my way and if you still don't like it, bring me your reasons and we will talk injections after 60 days, but I think youll like the gel. It doesn't make you feel like a roller coaster.

I said, ok. Ill try it your way only because I don't feel like waiting another 3 months for labs and another doctor to prescribe me test......

A really big concern for me after reading here, is that this doctor never tested Estradiol or any Estrogen levels to get a baseline...

I asked her if she was going to prescribe HCG or AI and she really had no clue what those were.... She told me that as long as my test levels got back up to 500-600 everything pretty much normalizes itself...

WTF! What do I do....

I started Axiron today. Will keep you all posted on how I feel.

You need a new doctor. Try calling IMT, the forum sponsor. They would get you set up on a good protocol.

At least you know what is wrong with now so you can start treating. Be careful with estradiol as gels are notorious for high aronatization. Make your endo test estradiol.

Thanks for the quick reply, Ill get in contact with IMT.

Yeah, Im relieved that I know what my problem is now. I have so many questions though. What causes this? Sleep Apnea?

She prescribed 30mg of Axiron Gel in each armpit twice a day. So 60mg/daily of Axiron....

Should I even take this?

I would stick to your guns. Risk of transfer is a very valid reason for not using gels. I personally would not risk it when other effective and cheaper methods are available.

Often it is hard to determine the cause of secondary hypogonadism. Trauma to the head? Pituitary tumor - get an MRI - but your prolactin is really low. Klinefelter's syndrome if I remember right is a possible cause. Being overweight. Aging. Thyroid? Sleep apnea? Often you never discover the cause unfortunately.

Did you discuss trying a restart with your endo?

I would stick to your guns. Risk of transfer is a very valid reason for not using gels. I personally would not risk it when other effective and cheaper methods are available.

Often it is hard to determine the cause of secondary hypogonadism. Trauma to the head? Pituitary tumor - get an MRI - but your prolactin is really low. Klinefelter's syndrome if I remember right is a possible cause. Being overweight. Aging. Thyroid? Sleep apnea? Often you never discover the cause unfortunately.

Did you discuss trying a restart with your endo?

I do have mild untreated sleep apnea... maybe fixing that w a CPAP will help regulate my Test?

I asked her if Clomid or HCG would help restart it, she was confused as to what HCG was......

WOW.....

Wow...did not know that heart palpitations was a symptom...I had those for years...this forum is amazing! :)

I honestly can't believe how misinformed all these dr's are with TRT??? What was acceptable 20 or 30 years ago is not the norm now. These newer protocols have come from dr's and clinics that have been studying and treating this for years. There really needs to be a change here and maybe some new guidelines for treatment sent to each and every dr. that treats low t........

Having started out on Axiron myself, I can tell you that it is extremely messy, hard to apply correctly with that applicator they give you, runs down your arm and side, and takes forever to dry. I can't say if it works or not because I couldn't stand to use it more than two weeks. I went back to Doc with those reasons and got Androgel 1.62 instead. If you are stuck with gels; I can tell you that Androgel is much better to use on a daily basis. How well gels work for you will be something only your blood test will reveal.
I go to an Endocrinologist myself, and if they see total test numbers in the 500-600 range they will be happy. My Endo (who is also a "she") recently told me to cut back injections from every 6 days to every 7 days because my total test came back at 617. My estradiol was 39.9, but if it is in the normal range then she is happy.
I get a lab order for my blood test, take it to my primary care doc for the blood draw, and have the nurse check the E2 box because I want it checked. Shouldn't be a problem and you aren't breaking their rules. I personally know multiple guys on Androgel and Axiron for years without a estrogen blood check because local urologist (and my primary doc and endo) just don't check that. You shouldn't have a problem getting it checked if you ask.
Oh Yeah, if you do get injections from your Endo, expect to start at a really low dose (like 100mg/2 weeks) and spend 6 months working your way up to a dose that works. It sucks, but in the end it is cost effective if you have insurance paying for it. If you are paying out of pocket I would call IMT for sure.

Having started out on Axiron myself, I can tell you that it is extremely messy, hard to apply correctly with that applicator they give you, runs down your arm and side, and takes forever to dry. I can't say if it works or not because I couldn't stand to use it more than two weeks. I went back to Doc with those reasons and got Androgel 1.62 instead. If you are stuck with gels; I can tell you that Androgel is much better to use on a daily basis. How well gels work for you will be something only your blood test will reveal.
I go to an Endocrinologist myself, and if they see total test numbers in the 500-600 range they will be happy. My Endo (who is also a "she") recently told me to cut back injections from every 6 days to every 7 days because my total test came back at 617. My estradiol was 39.9, but if it is in the normal range then she is happy.
I get a lab order for my blood test, take it to my primary care doc for the blood draw, and have the nurse check the E2 box because I want it checked. Shouldn't be a problem and you aren't breaking their rules. I personally know multiple guys on Androgel and Axiron for years without a estrogen blood check because local urologist (and my primary doc and endo) just don't check that. You shouldn't have a problem getting it checked if you ask.
Oh Yeah, if you do get injections from your Endo, expect to start at a really low dose (like 100mg/2 weeks) and spend 6 months working your way up to a dose that works. It sucks, but in the end it is cost effective if you have insurance paying for it. If you are paying out of pocket I would call IMT for sure.

Thanks so much for taking time out of your day to help me out. Im gonna try this Axiron stuff out for 2 months. I have an appointment with my GP this week, and Im gonna ask him if he would be ok with me coming to him now that Ive been diagnosed by my Endo so maybe I can get him to prescribe me what I want.

Definitely gonna check my Estradiol though.

Back