Sternum pops sometimes

tman55

Sometimes my sternum pops when I bring my elbows back behind my back and push my chest out.

About ten years ago I got kicked really hard in the chest during a TKD Tournament and it broke a couple ribs on the right side. Took forever to heal, coughed up some blood for a while, but the Dr. couldn't find any other damage than the ribs.

To this day it still pops from time to time when I bring my elbows back and sometimes during Bench, Incline, Decline or Dips. Doesn't hurt, but it pops pretty loud in there.

Any ideas why?

What kind of popping? Mine pops, but it's just like when you crack your knuckles occasionally. No biggie. Feels good, actually.

Behemoth said:
What kind of popping? Mine pops, but it's just like when you crack your knuckles occasionally. No biggie. Feels good, actually.

Well, it is a loud pop, I can feel in there that it is going to pop before it does. Like the knuckles in that it pops, but it is more powerful a pop than the knuckles, much louder and you feel it in the sternum much more than that. Not sure how to describe a pop though. No pain, just pressure.

sounds like you disrupted the cartilage connecting your ribs to your sternum.
it's probably always gonna do that and you should be ok unless it starts hurting.
however, you will be at an increased risk for arthritis in that area when you get older

yea it is kinda weird and it does freak others out when they hear it. well at least it is somewhat common.

GatorFB21 said:
If i push this little thing poking out above my upper abs, it pops and like relocates.
that thing is the xiphoid process of your sternum.It is made of cartilage.
if you hit it hard enough you can separate it from the sternum. Cool side effect...stops respiration, at least temporarily

It doesn't look symetrical anymore. My right is still square but the left is round in the middle. Upper chest is messed to.

What about scar tissue?

Last edited:
Back