Stupid Question

cjw2021

Pro Bodybuilder
How does one analyze for example the chemical makeup of testosterone? Do you need a fancy electron microscope or something or can the average chemist/home brewer see what they are working with as they make it? I have always wondered about how it is initially made.

How does one analyze for example the chemical makeup of testosterone? Do you need a fancy electron microscope or something or can the average chemist/home brewer see what they are working with as they make it? I have always wondered about how it is initially made.

Viewpoints on the atomic level require equipment. If your just trying to test for under dosing any one can do this at home.

For oil based:

1.) Extract 1ml
2.) Add 1ml Methanol (heet can be found at walmart auto section yellow and blue bottle)
3.) Add lipid solubilizer
4.) Let it sit 14 hours.
5.) Use crystallography.
6.) Run it through 3 coffee filters.
7.) Rinse it with 10ml's water.
8.) You will have a very small amount of powder.
9.) Let it dry completely
10.) Weigh it.

That will tell you approximately how much gear was in 1ml. If it is a low dose like 50mg/ml you will want to use enough ml's to get 250mg (I.E. 5ml). Sucks to waste some gear but, helps you identify good sources.

Ah just reread your post. Are you talking about making testosterone at home? To answer your question yes you can make testosterone base at home with a basic knowledge of organic chemistry and a half way decent set. Making esters however is a whole new ball game.

I have a liquid and I want to see exactly what the molecules are in it. What equipment would I need? I think there are a ton of molecules in here. How would I recreate it? Is there another piece of equipment to create things or clone them? Like how was T first identified under what microscope?

Last edited:
I have a liquid and I want to see exactly what the molecules are in it. What equipment would I need? I think there are a ton of molecules in here. How would I recreate it? Is there another piece of equipment to create things or clone them? Like how was T first identified under what microscope?

If you wanted to see the test you would have to use chromatography or crystallography.

As for making test? You obviously lack the basic knowledge to do this but, to explain in a haphazard way combine C19+H28+O2.
Your next question is probably going to be: "How do I do that." Sorry I am not about to teach give you a course on catenation and stoichiometry. Learning about molar equivalents makes things easier though.

Last edited:
Yeah I've taken up to gen chem 2 before which had some organic in it. Would chromatography or crystallography identify all the compounds in it? I think there are multiple hormones in what I need to analyze. Give me some more info...

Yeah I've taken up to gen chem 2 before which had some organic in it. Would chromatography or crystallography identify all the compounds in it? I think there are multiple hormones in what I need to analyze. Give me some more info...

... Crystallography and chromatography are used to separate mixtures or cause a supersaturation of compounds. After that there a plethora of identification methods you could use. Spectroscopy to name one.

I really enjoy Humd's input. At times its akin to your wife asking "What did you do at work today?" You begin to detail, she gives you the glazzed eyes, you stop and realize she stop listening because she has no concept and you finish it by saying you were in meetings all day or just work!

Back