Sudden hypothyroidism 3-4 months after low T diagnosis

panzers

So in December when my total test level was found to be 70, my TSH level was fine at 2. I've never had thyroid issues and none runs in family. So last week I begin TRT and my labs show TSH of 6.4 and a redraw to see if it was a bad reading was also above 6. My T3 was low, T4 was low normal. My Dr says low Test does not cause hypothyroidism. Are u guys aware of a connection? I have hypogonadism due to nandrolone use a year ago which I apparently never recovered from. Can nandrolone shutdown do that?
I just find it strange that within 3 months of low T diagnosis I suudenly have hypothyroidism. Thoughts?

I've read that SOMETIMES a high TSH can be caused by low Test levels. My TSH was off, but correcting my test levels did not fix that. I'm on a compounded mix of T4/T3 now, and it dialed my thyroid in.

I'm not sure what would cause a sudden shift in your thyroid except for when this test was taken, and were you fasted, and without caffeine. Caffeine can affect your thyroid in a negative way. Were your tests taken first thing in the morning fasted, without coffee, only water, etc.?

They were early in the day but caffeine was consumed on way to testosterone therapy, during which Dr ran labs. They were not required to be fasted. Who ever heard of a 40 yr old male on synthroid. I'm stumped.

They were early in the day but caffeine was consumed on way to testosterone therapy, during which Dr ran labs. They were not required to be fasted. Who ever heard of a 40 yr old male on synthroid. I'm stumped.

I'm not sure what age has to do with being on thyroid medication. Thyroid medication can be needed at any age. You can have a genetically defective thyroid to begin with. One that isn't bad, but isn't optimal. That's pretty much how mine was. TSH was 3.7. That's not optimal.

Levothyroxine is Synthroid which is synthetic T4. Levothyronine is a synthetic version of T3. I'm 37 and on a compounded mix of 40mcg of T4, 15mcg of T3 once a day. That got my thyroid into the proper range.

Caffeine will absolutely make that test inaccurate. You need to have the test taken without any caffeine, which is why I do mine first thing in the morning, so I can consume caffeine immediately afterwards.

I am an RN and I only give snythroid to old ladies. Maybe one or two men in their 60s plus. It seems younger patients I have are never on synthroid. Ive gone over hundreds of patients' home Meds. It's just rare to see thyroid med for the young.

I am an RN and I only give snythroid to old ladies. Maybe one or two men in their 60s plus. It seems younger patients I have are never on synthroid. Ive gone over hundreds of patients' home Meds. It's just rare to see thyroid med for the young.

I too am an RN- I am on Armour thyroid meds- very low dose- It appears that there is not a general conscious about what is a optimal blood level- apparently it is debated and there are two schools of thought. Kind of like testosterone- the scale of normal encompasses ages 16-80, if I'm 40 and on the low end is that comparable to someone my age or someone age 62? same way with tsh. Not sure why your levels would decline with HRT???

Last edited:
Over 6 is definitely high. Could just be depressed thyroid though. So yea it can do that to thyroid and adrenal glands. The connection goes both ways.

For instance if someone has 2 or more sex hormones imbalanced, it can be assumed up to like 90+% that you also have adult growth hormone deficiency. Since they are all linked by the negative feedback loop.

How much HCG are you taking?

Here is a good article on our website explaining the connection with adrenals, but it affects the thyroid the same way.

When someone attempts to correct a particular hormonal imbalance without examining and fixing the others, treatments will fail to be successful. In order to attain not just great physical health but also mental, individuals need to address all neurotransmitter and hormone systems involved in reproduction, adrenal, thyroid and pancreatic function.

https://increasemyt.com/home/energy

Last edited:
I am not taking hcg. Just test pellets. Because of low t and loss of interest in gym I went several months only lifting a couple times a week with no cardio at all. Wonder if that lowered activity has lowered my metabolism and hence thyroid activity?

Back