Target Heart Rate to burn fat???

clee

Just checking to see what the target heart rate is while doing cardio to burn fat? thanks.

Target Heart rate for burning fat??

Just checking to see what the target heart rate is while doing cardio to burn fat? thanks.

what are your stats bro. i am pretty sure its different for everyone depending on size .

bump, anybody have the answer

im
21 years old
5'9". 195lbs.
Looking to drop some bodyfat bofore my cycle. thanks.

Basically, the idea of a "target" heart rate comes from the fact that at certain lower intensities, the body burns a higher PERCENTAGE of fat as fuel than it does at higher intensities.

This "target" range I believe is something like 60-70% of your maximum heart rate. Your approximate maximum heart rate can be calculated by subtracting your age from 190.

However, you can burn more total fat per minute by exercising at a higher intensity - even though you will burn a lower PERCENTAGE of fat as fuel your total caloric expenditure will be much higher.

In addition,higher intensity cardio is much more effective for fat loss than low intensity. I do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) - the "hill" program on a lifecycle.

Studies have shown that HIIT burns several times more fat than regular endurance training. One theory is that the high intensity intervals result in an increase in the basal metabolic rate that persists for the remainder of the day.

"The HIIT group lost over 3 times as much subcutanious fat as the ET group despite of only expending less than half as many Calories." Here is a link to the study quoted from:
http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html

I have seen another study that showed HIIT to be 9 times as effective as regular endurance training for fat loss.

Last edited:
In general for a Male who is in shape, the max should be the following:

205 - .5 X Age

Fat burning zone is approximately 60-80% of the Max.

You will burn more fat during the cardio session if you perform it at 60 % max..
As you increase the intensity, the substrate utilization shifts to plasma glucose instead of fat.
It's also true that if the duration of cardio sessions is the same, you will burn slightly more calories during HIIT, but more of those calories will be glucose.
It's true that HIIT might increase your resting metabolic rate more than low & moderate intensity cardio, but I don't know if the difference would be as significant in someone who already performs resistance training, since resistance training by itself can increase resting fat oxidation & oxygen consumption (check the last three studies)...
Conclusion of study 3, for example, was "We found no evidence that the high-intensity physical training was more effective than the moderate-intensity physical training in enhancing body composition"...

Try both, or cycle between moderate & high intensity.

(1) Substrate metabolism during different exercise intensities in endurance-trained women.

Romijn JA, Coyle EF, Sidossis LS, Rosenblatt J, Wolfe RR.

Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Leiden University Medical Center, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands. jaromijn@endo.azl.nl

We have studied eight endurance-trained women at rest and during exercise at 25, 65, and 85% of maximal oxygen uptake. The rate of appearance (R(a)) of free fatty acids (FFA) was determined by infusion of [(2)H(2)]palmitate, and fat oxidation rates were determined by indirect calorimetry. Glucose kinetics were assessed with [6,6-(2)H(2)]glucose. Glucose R(a) increased in relation to exercise intensity. In contrast, whereas FFA R(a) was significantly increased to the same extent in low- and moderate-intensity exercise, during high-intensity exercise, FFA R(a) was reduced compared with the other exercise values. Carbohydrate oxidation increased progressively with exercise intensity, whereas the highest rate of fat oxidation was during exercise at 65% of maximal oxygen uptake. After correction for differences in lean body mass, there were no differences between these results and previously reported data in endurance-trained men studied under the same conditions, except for slight differences in glucose metabolism during low-intensity exercise (Romijn JA, Coyle EF, Sidossis LS, Gastaldelli A, Horowitz JF, Endert E, and Wolfe RR. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 265: E380-E391, 1993). We conclude that the patterns of changes in substrate kinetics during moderate- and high-intensity exercise are similar in trained men and women.

(2)The effects of increasing exercise intensity on muscle fuel utilisation in humans.

van Loon LJ, Greenhaff PL, Constantin-Teodosiu D, Saris WH, Wagenmakers AJ.

Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute NUTRIM, Department of Human Biology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands. l.vanloon@hb.unimaas.nl

1. Contemporary stable isotope methodology was applied in combination with muscle biopsy sampling to accurately quantify substrate utilisation and study the regulation of muscle fuel selection during exercise. 2. Eight cyclists were studied at rest and during three consecutive 30 min stages of exercise at intensities of 40, 55 and 75 % maximal workload (W(max)). A continuous infusion of [U-(13)C]palmitate and [6,6-(2)H(2)]glucose was administered to determine plasma free fatty acid (FFA) oxidation and estimate plasma glucose oxidation, respectively. Biopsy samples were collected before and after each exercise stage. 3. Muscle glycogen and plasma glucose oxidation rates increased with every increment in exercise intensity. Whole-body fat oxidation increased to 32 +/- 2 kJ min(-1) at 55 % W(max), but declined at 75 % W(max) (19 +/- 2 kJ min(-1)). This decline involved a decrease in the oxidation rate of both plasma FFA and triacylglycerol fat sources (sum of intramuscular plus lipoprotein-derived triacylglycerol), and was accompanied by increases in muscle pyruvate dehydrogenase complex activation and acetylation of the carnitine pool, resulting in a decline in muscle free carnitine concentration. 4. We conclude that the most likely mechanism for the reduction in fat oxidation during high-intensity exercise is a downregulation of carnitine palmitoyltransferase I, either by this marked decline in free carnitine availability or by a decrease in intracellular pH.

Am J Clin Nutr 2002 May;75(5):818-26 Related Articles, Links

(3)Effects of exercise intensity on cardiovascular fitness, total body composition, and visceral adiposity of obese adolescents.

Gutin B, Barbeau P, Owens S, Lemmon CR, Bauman M, Allison J, Kang HS, Litaker MS.

Georgia Prevention Institute, Department of Pediatrics, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA. bgutin@mail.mcg.edu

BACKGROUND: Little is known about how the intensity of exercise influences cardiovascular fitness and body composition, especially in obese adolescents. OBJECTIVE: Our goal was to determine the effects of physical training intensity on the cardiovascular fitness, percentage of body fat (%BF), and visceral adipose tissue (VAT) of obese adolescents. DESIGN: Obese 13-16-y-olds (n = 80) were assigned to 1) biweekly lifestyle education (LSE), 2) LSE + moderate-intensity physical training, or 3) LSE + high-intensity physical training. The intervention lasted 8 mo. Physical training was offered 5 d/wk, and the target energy expenditure for all subjects in physical training groups was 1047 kJ (250 kcal)/session. Cardiovascular fitness was measured with a multistage treadmill test, %BF with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry, and VAT with magnetic resonance imaging. RESULTS: The increase in cardiovascular fitness in the high-intensity physical training group, but not in the moderate-intensity group, was significantly greater than that in the LSE alone group (P = 0.009); no other comparisons of the 3 groups were significant. Compared with the LSE alone group, a group composed of subjects in both physical training groups combined who attended training sessions >or=2 d/wk showed favorable changes in cardiovascular fitness (P < 0.001), %BF (P = 0.001), and VAT (P = 0.029). We found no evidence that the high-intensity physical training was more effective than the moderate-intensity physical training in enhancing body composition. CONCLUSIONS: The cardiovascular fitness of obese adolescents was significantly improved by physical training, especially high-intensity physical training. The physical training also reduced both visceral and total-body adiposity, but there was no clear effect of the intensity of physical training.

1: Eur J Appl Physiol 2002 Mar;86(5):411-7 Related Articles, Links

Effect of an acute period of resistance exercise on excess post-exercise oxygen consumption: implications for body mass management.

Schuenke MD, Mikat RP, McBride JM.

Present address: Department of Biological Sciences, Ohio University, 128 Irvine Hall, Athens, OH 45701, USA. mschuenke@hotmail.com

Studies have shown metabolism to remain elevated for hours following resistance exercise, but none have gone beyond 16 h, nor have they followed a whole body, high intensity exercise protocol. To examine the duration of excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) following a period of heavy resistance exercise, seven healthy men [mean (SD) age 22 (3) years, height 177 ( cm, mass 83 (10) kg, percentage body fat 10.4 (4.2)%] engaged in a 31 min period of resistance exercise, consisting of four circuits of bench press, power cleans, and squats. Each set was performed using the subject's own predetermined ten-repetition maximum and continued until failure. Oxygen consumption ( ) measurements were obtained at consistent times (34 h pre-, 29 h pre-, 24 h pre-, 10 h pre-, 5 h pre-, immediately post-, 14 h post-, 19 h post-, 24 h post-, 38 h post-, 43 h post-, and 48 h post-exercise). Post-exercise measurements were compared to the baseline measurements made at the same time of day. The was significantly elevated ( P<0.05) above baseline values at immediately post, 14, 19, and 38 h post-exercise. Mean daily values for both post-exercise days were also significantly elevated above the mean value for the baseline day. These results suggest that EPOC duration following resistance exercise extends well beyond the previously reported duration of 16 h. The duration and magnitude of the EPOC observed in this study indicates the importance of future research to examine a possible role for high intensity resistance training in a weight management program for various populations.

J Appl Physiol 2002 Oct 11; [epub ahead of print] Related Articles, Links

Effect of Resistance Exercise on Postprandial Lipemia.

Petitt DS, Arngrimsson SA, Cureton KJ.

Department of Exercise Science, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA.

The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of resistance exercise on postprandial lipemia. Fourteen young men and women participated in each of three treatments: 1) control (CON), 2) resistance exercise (RE), and 3) aerobic exercise (AE) estimated to have an energy expenditure (EE) equal that for RE. Each trial consisted of performing a treatment on Day 1 and ingesting a fat-tolerance test meal 16 hours later (Day 2). Resting metabolic rate and fat oxidation were measured at baseline and at 3 and 6 hours postprandial on Day 2. Blood was collected at baseline and at 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 hours after meal ingestion. RE and AE were similar in EE (1.7 +/- 0.1 vs 1.6 +/- 0.1 MJ, respectively; means +/- SE), as measured using the Cosmed K4b(2). Baseline triglycerides (TG) were significantly lower after RE than after CON (19%) and AE (21%). Further, the area under the postprandial response curve (AUC) for TG, adjusted for baseline differences, was significantly lower after RE than after CON (14%) and AE (18%). Resting fat oxidation was significantly greater after RE than after CON (21%) and AE (28%). These results indicate that resistance exercise lowers baseline and postprandial TG, and increases resting fat oxidation, 16 hours after exercise.

J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 1997 Nov;52(6):M352-5 Related Articles, Links

A single bout of concentric resistance exercise increases basal metabolic rate 48 hours after exercise in healthy 59-77-year-old men.

Williamson DL, Kirwan JP.

Noll Physiological Research Center, Pennsylvania State University, USA.

BACKGROUND: It has been shown that basal metabolic rate (BMR) decreases with age. The extent to which some of the decrease can be reversed by exercise in older men and women is unclear. Resistance exercise has been shown to significantly increase muscle mass in older individuals, and because muscle is a highly active metabolic tissue there is potential to increase BMR as a secondary outcome to the training adaptation. METHODS: Twelve healthy men aged 59-77 years performed single-leg knee extension exercise (right and left leg) and bench press lifts (16 sets, 10 reps/set with timed recovery between sets) at 75% of the individual's 3RM. Subjects only performed the concentric phase of the lift. BMR was measured on two separate occasions, once after a nonexercise control period and again 48 hrs after a bout of resistance exercise. RESULTS: BMR was significantly increased (p < .006) 48 hrs after exercise (EX) compared to control (CON) (284.0 +/- 34.0 vs 274.9 +/- 34.0 kJ/hr, respectively). Calculated over a 24-hour period, the energy expenditure corresponded to 1570 +/- 193 and 1627 +/- 193 kcal/24 hr (p < .0002) for the CON and EX measures, respectively. VO2 (L/min) was higher (p < .0002) 48 hrs after the EX bout compared to 48 hrs post-CON (0.232 +/- 0.03 vs 0.225 +/- 0.03 L/min, respectively). CONCLUSION: We conclude that in healthy 59-77-year-old men, an acute bout of resistance exercise causes a sustained increase in BMR that persists for up to 48 hours after exercise.

hhajdo said:
You will burn more fat during the cardio session if you perform it at 60 % max..
As you increase the intensity, the substrate utilization shifts to plasma glucose instead of fat.
It's also true that if the duration of cardio sessions is the same, you will burn slightly more calories during HIIT, but more of those calories will be glucose.
It's true that HIIT might increase your resting metabolic rate more than low & moderate intensity cardio, but I don't know if the difference would be as significant in someone who already performs resistance training, since resistance training by itself can increase resting fat oxidation & oxygen consumption (check the last three studies)...
Conclusion of study 3, for example, was "We found no evidence that the high-intensity physical training was more effective than the moderate-intensity physical training in enhancing body composition"...

Try both, or cycle between moderate & high intensity.

. [/B]

Thank you for that post bro. I want to pick your brain some:

When you say "As you increase the intensity, the substrate utilization shifts to plasma glucose instead of fat", you mean that the percentage of glucose of the total calories burned increases, which doesn't mean that less fat is burned (in fact more fat is burned), correct? As I understand it, the higher the intensity, the more fat is burned per time period, but lower intensities allow the body to burn a higher ratio of fat to glucose. I read the studies you posted but don't see how they contradict my understanding, it may be that they use language I don't understand.

I'm surprised by the results of study 3 regarding HIIT. It conflicts with other studies I've seen, with my own experience as I perceive it, and with other antecdotal reports I've read.

Last edited:
Trevdog said:
Thank you for that post bro. I want to pick your brain some:

When you say "As you increase the intensity, the substrate utilization shifts to plasma glucose instead of fat", you mean that the percentage of glucose of the total calories burned increases, which doesn't mean that less fat is burned (in fact more fat is burned), correct? As I understand it, the higher the intensity, the more fat is burned per time period, but lower intensities allow the body to burn a higher ratio of fat to glucose. I read the studies you posted but don't see how they contradict my understanding, it may be that they use language I don't understand.

I'm surprised by the results of study 3 regarding HIIT. It conflicts with other studies I've seen, with my own experience as I perceive it, and with other antedotal reports I've read.

That's what I mean - as intensity goes up, greater percentage of glucose is burned.
Unfortunately, there's no info about total calories burned per session.

Also, in study three each subject burned 250 kcal/session and the study lasted for 8 months which might be the reason there wasn't much difference.

In some studies I've seen, the reason for greater fat loss during HIIT wasn't the amount of calories burned during the cardio session, but the effect of HIIT on resting metabolic rate/fat oxidation

Check out an excerpt from Clarence Bass's article on HIIT vs endurance training at moderate intensity

....Angelo Tremblay, Ph.D., and his colleagues at the Physical Activities Sciences Laboratory, Laval University, Quebec, Canada, challenged the common belief among health professionals that low-intensity, long-duration exercise is the best program for fat loss. They compared the impact of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise and high-intensity aerobics on fat loss. (Metabolism (1994) Volume 43, pp.814-81

The Canadian scientists divided 27 inactive, healthy, non-obese adults (13 men, 14 women, 18 to 32 years old) into two groups. They subjected one group to a 20-week endurance training (ET) program of uninterrupted cycling 4 or 5 times a week for 30 to 45 minutes; the intensity level began at 60% of heart rate reserve and progressed to 85%. (For a 30-year-old, this would mean starting at a heart rate of about 136 and progressing to roughly 170 bpm, which is more intense than usually prescribed for weight or fat loss.)

The other group did a 15-week program including mainly high-intensity-interval training (HIIT). Much like the ET group, they began with 30-minute sessions of continuous exercise at 70% of maximum heart rate reserve (remember, they were not accustomed to exercise), but soon progressed to 10 to 15 bouts of short (15 seconds progressing to 30 seconds) or 4 to 5 long (60 seconds progressing to 90 seconds) intervals separated by recovery periods allowing heart rate to return to 120-130 beats per minute. The intensity of the short intervals was initially fixed at 60% of the maximal work output in 10 seconds, and that of the long bouts corresponded to 70% of the individual maximum work output in 90 seconds. Intensity on both was increased 5% every three weeks.

you might expect, the total energy cost of the ET program was substantially greater than the HIIT program. The researchers calculated that the ET group burned more than twice as many calories while exercising than the HIIT program. But (surprise, surprise) skinfold measurements showed that the HIIT group lost more subcutaneous fat. "Moreover," reported the researchers, "when the difference in the total energy cost of the program was taken into account..., the subcutaneous fat loss was ninefold greater in the HIIT program than in the ET program." In short, the HIIT group got 9 times more fat-loss benefit for every calorie burned exercising.

How can that be?

Dr. Tremblay's group took muscle biopsies and measured muscle enzyme activity to determine why high-intensity exercise produced so much more fat loss. I'll spare you the details (they are technical and hard to decipher), but this is their bottom line:Metabolic adaptations resulting from HIIT] may lead to a better lipid utilization in the postexercise state and thus contribute to a greater energy and lipid deficit."other words, compared to moderate-intensity endurance exercise, high- intensity intermittent exercise causes more calories and fat to be burned following the workout. Citing animal studies, they also said it may be that appetite is suppressed more following intense intervals. (Neither group was placed on a diet.) ...

Generally accepted as being 60-85% of max heart rate bro. It is best to do a combination of high intensity/low intensity to keep the body guessin & to stop the boredom setting in.

hey trevdog... the max HR is 220-age, not 190 (just so no one gets confused)

There are a couple different formulas though that are a bit more accurate than that one, such as the Karvonen Method.

rj420 said:
hey trevdog... the max HR is 220-age, not 190 (just so no one gets confused)

There are a couple different formulas though that are a bit more accurate than that one, such as the Karvonen Method.

Thanks bro. If you've got more info on better methods handy, post away.

sure... i'll be a copy/paste whore here.lol Much easier to read/understand than my ways of doing it.lol

Karvonen Formula for THR

1. Resting Heart Rate (RHR) = your pulse at rest (the best time to get a true resting heart rate is first thing in the morning before you get out of bed).

2. Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) = 220- your age

3. Heart Rate Reserve (HRR)= Maximum Heart Rate - Resting Heart Rate

Once you have your Heart Rate Reserve, you can calculate your training heart rate:

4. (Heart Rate Reserve*.85) + Resting Heart Rate = Upper end of the training zone

5. (Heart Rate Reserve *.50) + Resting Heart Rate = Lower end of the training zone

Example: To calculate the training heart rate of a 35 year old person with a resting heart rate of 70:

Maximum Heart Rate: 220-35=185 bpm (beats per minute)
Heart Rate Reserve= 185-70=115 bpm
High End of the Training Heart Rate: (115*.85) + 70 = 167 bpm
Low End of the Training Heart Rate: (115*.50) + 70 = 127 bpm

When this person exercises, they should try to reach their training heart rate zone (127-167 bpm) and maintain it for the duration of their aerobic activity. Halfway through their aerobic activity, they should take a 6 second pulse check and add a 0 to get the one minute figure (you could also do a 10 second count and multiply by 6 or a 15 second count and multiply by 4).

Here is a good way of determining your Basal Energy Expenditure (BEE), also known as basal metabolic rate. This is how many cals (est) that you should use in a day if you were awake, but not doing anything (just laying/sitting there for 24hrs.lol)

Harris-Benedict Formula

For men, the B.E.E. =
66.5 + (13.75 x kg) + (5.003 x cm) - (6.775 x age)

For women, the B.E.E. =
655.1 + (9.563 x kg) + (1.850 x cm) - (4.676 x age)

btw, this formula was established in 1919 and is still used up to this day.

There was a great article that Arty posted on paradise.. let me see if I can find it.

Why the "Fat Burning Zone" Is a Myth
by Jonny Bowden, M.A., C.N.S.

I want you to do me a favor. I know you're gonna hate it, but please do it anyway. I promise you it'll make life so much simpler, make things so much clearer, and save us so much time in the coming months.

I want you to go back to school with me for a minute, and review some math.

Now, when I teach this stuff to trainers, as soon as they hear "math" their eyes glaze over and they look like a collective herd of deer caught in the headlights of a Mack truck. But, honestly, how are you going to talk sensibly about calories, diets like "40/30/30," percentages of calories from protein, decoding a food label, or anything else along those lines without unfuzzy-ing up some of the basics in the math department?

Which brings me to the area of "fat burning" zones.

See, one of the biggest misunderstandings and "myth-conceptions" in the field of exercise and weight loss has been around the field of fat burning. Aerobic teachers are constantly admonishing their students to work at a slower rate so they can "burn more fat." Almost all cardio equipment in the gym has a "fat burning" program, and we fitness professionals are constantly bombarded with questions from clients about how to get their heart rate in the target "fat burning zone."

The misconceptions come from a basic confusion between percentages and absolute amounts. See, at rest, the body is always burning a mix of fuels. All other things being equal, it doesn't like to burn protein, so that leaves fats and carbohydrates (more technically, fatty acids and glucose). At rest, the "average" person burns about 70 percent fat and 30 percent carbs. As one moves from rest to activity, the percentage of fuel coming from fat decreases and the percentage coming from carbs increases. The more intense the exercise, the more carbs and the less fat in the mix, until you reach the point called the "anaerobic threshold" where you're going at about your intensity limit. At that point, 99 percent or more of your fuel is pure carbohydrate and 1 percent or less is coming from fat.

Now, this situation has led many people to assume that in order to "burn fat" they need to exercise at lower intensities. They're missing the boat. Why? Because while at rest, although a higher percentage of your calories is indeed coming from fat, you are ultimately burning a lower absolute number of calories. At higher intensity exercise, the percentage of calories from fat goes down, true -- but it is a percentage of a significantly higher number.

To illustrate this critical difference, I often ask audiences to picture Ross Perot standing next to me. Then I ask them, "Would you rather have 90 percent of all the money I have in the world, or 3 percent of all the money Mr. Perot over here has?" When they give the obvious answer, I say, "But why? 90 percent is so much higher than 3 percent!"

They get the picture.

So, let's say you're exercising at a fairly low intensity that burns, oh, 100 calories in a half-hour. Let's say that 70 percent of those calories come from fat. Your neighbor, however, is working out much harder, outside the magical "fat burning" zone: She's burning up, say 300 calories in that same half hour, but only 50 percent of those calories are from fat. Now do the math. You're burning a higher percentage of fat, but 70 percent of your 100 calories equals 70 fat calories burned. Your neighbor, on the other hand, is burning a lower percentage of fat, but she has burned up 50 percent of 300 calories, or 150 fat calories, more than twice what you've burned in the same period of time!

Get it?

i was told that if you can keep a conversation with someone while doin cardio....your around the right range...not sure if its true, but thats what i heard

Back