Testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for life, possible danger for all us.

Many of us think we have the game figures out and if we simply cycle our gear the right way, and use PCT in the off periods, no long term damage will occur. Personally I did 7 years of cycling, but sometimes stayed on for 4-5 months at a time, because, lets face it, we all push it a little. But, I did recover for 8-12 weeks at a time with PCT 2-3x a year. My doses were reasonable and about what everyone else uses. I started at 36-37 years of age long after optimizing my full potential. I am 45 years old now and on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for the rest of my life. I tired 1 year cold turkey with just HCG, clomid, tamoxifen for recovery. Went back to HCG several times during that year, and I never got my natural test back.....NEVER. After 13 months of cold turkey and final test reading of 60 (300-1200 is normal), I went on TRT. Will be on this the rest of my life. I have read up on the issue and I think this will be the norm.....meaning this will happen to most of us using AAS, regardless of how smart we all think we are and how we cycle and the PCT we apply.......

Know I will be disagreed with, and maybe flamed, but it happened to me and I was reasonably careful, as well as 2 friends of mine that are now on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for life as well. The only up side is that testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is kind of awesome and I am still better off than all other 45 year olds.

Great post. I look at it as an acceptable risk vs reward. Someone may weight each a lot different from the next. For example I've noticed we have a lot of guys that have at one point or another served overseas (in the military). They faced a constant danger that many haven't had to deal with. I would expect it would be hard to articulate to them why it's too risky of an endeavor to jump into, as it relates to them. It sucks but testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) isn't the worst that could happen as a result of usage when you start messing around with some of the more serious combos. Death as a result of usage (typical careless) has never been completely ruled out as possibility. Hopefully those who are getting into it fully understand all the risk before getting into it...Although we all know that's not the case. Great thread, imho. Maybe some new guy will see it and make them research just a bit harder.

edit: Not trying to start a debate over if any deaths were due to steroids are linked to some other pre-existing medical condition, bad cycle methods / usage, or anything else.

edit#2: I knew something didn't feel right. Checked and see I've fail victim of bumping old threads. Although this is a good thread to be brought back from the dead....I'm still curious as to who gave that first bump :vampire:

Last edited:
Judging by the biochemical processes that are altered and constantly upset, I assume PCT is harder on your body than running the compounds in terms of recovering. Correct me if I am wrong, but PCT several times a year is probably much worse than cruising.

dam bro your smartaass chemist ;), i was thinking of switching my major to biochem, until i saw all the dam math and phyics you gotta take.

Also wouldn't clomid affect your eye sight, because for me when i ran ph's like a fag haha i did 3 pcts in a year and realized that it did affect my eye sight

dam bro your smartaass chemist ;), i was thinking of switching my major to biochem, until i saw all the dam math and phyics you gotta take.

Also wouldn't clomid affect your eye sight, because for me when i ran ph's like a fag haha i did 3 pcts in a year and realized that it did affect my eye sight

Sorry to derail, but biomedical engineering?

Interesting thread, this has always been one of my main concerns. I know that I would opt to go on TRT once my T-levels went too low due to the natural order of things, but like others have said, to be forced to do so (especially early) would be a definite downer.

about how much does it cost a year to be on trt?

how much are you spending on the test?

Answer is it depends. More in the first year when diagnosing the problem. For example if you need an MRI that can be spendy. And you will need more frequent doc visits and blood work in the beginning.

Once you get going... Let's say you are on 100mg per week of Test and don't need an AI on that dose. A 10ml 200mg/ml vial can be as little as $45 if you get a coupon from goodrx.com. That vial will last you 20 weeks. So let's put the test at about $120. About another $30 for needles and alcohol swabs. Two doc visits a year might be about $300 depending on your doc. Maybe another $200-$400 for blood work -- less when you get dialed in. All of this assumes no insurance. Of course, some docs cost much more and sometimes you need a lot more care. Lots of variables.

Keep in mind that you often get what you pay for. Cheapest provider often is not the best.

Last edited:
Answer is it depends. More in the first year when diagnosing the problem. For example if you need an MRI that can be spendy. And you will need more frequent doc visits and blood work in the beginning.

Once you get going... Let's say you are on 100mg per week of Test and don't need an AI on that dose. A 10ml 200mg/ml vial can be as little as $45 if you get a coupon from goodrx.com. That vial will last you 20 weeks. So let's put the test at about $120. About another $30 for needles and alcohol swabs. Two doc visits a year might be about $300 depending on your doc. Maybe another $200-$400 for blood work -- less when you get dialed in. All of this assumes no insurance. Of course, some docs cost much more and sometimes you need a lot more care. Lots of variables.

Keep in mind that you often get what you pay for. Cheapest provider often is not the best.

Have any cost estimates for a Canadian :)

Free!!! Again, you get what you pay for. :)

Well then, we should be getting top quality products given that we pay out the ass in taxes for our health care system. I'm not complaining though, I've probably used at LEAST $350,000 - $500,000 of taxpayers money. Wouldn't be alive today without it :D . And that's in Canadian value mind you, it doesn't take into account he inflated costs Americans pay per healthcare item haha

I was shut down even before I started cycling, so it's all good for me :D The benefits out weight having to pin every week for the rest of my life

I started using gear over 15 years ago. I'm in my early 40's now. I used to compete, and have "fried" my htpa. I'll be on trt for life, and I can assure you guys that it may seem cool to get rx test, but it's an aggravation. There are times when I'll forget to inject, as the injections are 3x/week to keep serum levels steady. I'm only using 200mg/week, but 1/3ml injections are an aggravation (IMO), added to getting out of the shower in the am. Sure, when on a cycle, or getting ready for a show, injecting frequently is no big deal. But, when it's something you have to do often for life, I don't think you'll "love it." If you aren't a serious competitor who knows what could happen, I'd recommend getting your nutrition tuned in, training well, and the least amount of gear you can get away with. More isn't always better unless we're talking about naked females, cars, and money...

I'm actually glad I came across this thread

You get so consumed with defending AAS that you lose sight of this realistic possibility.

Most of us on TRT would give our left nut to have our Natty T back.
Even if it meant never taking steroids in the first place? I would be interested in seeing a poll of who would choose the life of TRT if told it would happen the moment you decided to use (I know this is not the case but hypothetically speaking of course)

I started using gear over 15 years ago. I'm in my early 40's now. I used to compete, and have "fried" my htpa. I'll be on trt for life, and I can assure you guys that it may seem cool to get rx test, but it's an aggravation. There are times when I'll forget to inject, as the injections are 3x/week to keep serum levels steady. I'm only using 200mg/week, but 1/3ml injections are an aggravation (IMO), added to getting out of the shower in the am. Sure, when on a cycle, or getting ready for a show, injecting frequently is no big deal. But, when it's something you have to do often for life, I don't think you'll "love it." If you aren't a serious competitor who knows what could happen, I'd recommend getting your nutrition tuned in, training well, and the least amount of gear you can get away with. More isn't always better unless we're talking about naked females, cars, and money...
I've had to take synthroid every day since I was 12 as I have hypothyroidism, now granted this means I just have to take a pill, not jab myself with a needle 2-3 times per week. What do you feel is the worst part, getting the bloodwork? the constant pinning? or just being forced to do something? I find the bloodwork for myself is a little annoying, but at the same time, they test for all sorts of things when I go so in a way it's sort of an insurance policy on my health so to speak in that if anything pops up irregular, I know about it right away. Still sucks, restricts food with calcium, iron and high fiber in my breakfast options since they can effect the absorption of the synthroid :/ . Is Sustanon not an option on TRT since its suppose to be sustained release of different esters over a months time? Only one injection a month wouldn't be so bad then.

I've been on TRT almost 6 years now. I use 70-75mg cyp 2x a week. So right at 150 a week. Maybe one day I will get sick of injecting, but for now I still look forward to my next one, every time. I've had my protocol nailed down for a while and current bloods are:
Total test- 850
Estro- 30
Hematacrit- 42 (without donating)

It makes me feel better when I'm playing basketball and I can still dunk over kids half my age. (I'm 5'11 BTW)

Back