The Psychology of the Steroid User

dialtone

Steroid users are complicated people. They are people that go to great lengths to achieve a goal they developed on their own. They are faced with many obstacles that are foreign to most people. They have to harness bizarre motives and tolerate tortures that for most, there are no single or obvious solutions. They have to turn what is pain for others into pleasure and turn torture into satisfaction. Through these challenges, the person finds an aid, anabolic steroids.

But this helping hand comes with a cost. Feelings of power are coupled with feelings of insecurities, rage, dependence along with a laundry list of physiological side effects. The user can inject himself, pick up heavy things and eat lots of meat, but how do they handle the negative changes that take place once they become a user?

What this forum IS:
This forum is designed to provide a place for users to discuss all of the psychological (emotions, stress, moods, changes in behavior, libido, perception, motivation, depression, relationships, etc.) issues that come along with steroid use.

What this forum IS NOT:
Posts in this forum will likely be personal and related to sensitive topics. Flaming and judging will not be tolerated but discussions of related experiences and possible solutions are welcome.

I will be here to provide insight and guidance that I have gained over years of being passionate about both psychology and steroids. Any issues that you do not feel comfortable discussing in the open forum, please pm me and I will help as much as I can.

Welcome to Psychology and Steroids.

Wow bro great idea! Thank you this one kind of hits home for me. I'll go ahead and kick this off since I am going through a pretty rough time at the moment.

When I get on a cycle I feel like it changes the way I think and process things. This usually doesn't effect my life all that much other than my relationships with girlfriends. For some reason ever since I started my current cycle I've been thinking about my girlfriend and I's relationship a whole lot differently. I have analyzed both of our goals in life and the relationship and have came to the conclusion that I don't want to be with her anymore. The part that is really scaring me about all of this is I'm not sure if this is how I really feel or if it's the steroids.

Her and I have been together since may 2010 and have lived together since july 1, 2011. We have a dog together and the idea of breaking up with her never passed through my head till about December. She is honestly one of the hottest girls I have ever seen and def. the hottest I have been with. She doesn't party and trust has never been an issue with her, which is extremely rare for me.

Here's the things that have been bothering me... When we first started dating she was extremely ambitious and independent. She had a very good paying job where she had just got promoted. After we started dating she then quit that job to go back to school. She didn't make near the money she use to which meant I had to start helping support her. Now it's too the point where she has a shitty dead end job, is not going back to school, and I am almost fully supporting her. I make good money but not that great so I want a girl who can at least go out there and make 30k. So she has lost all of her independence and ambition. Also she all of a sudden has it in her mind that she's ready to get engaged and have kids one day. I have told her over and over that I never want kids because I have a weird phobia of them (don't ask). She use to be cool with this and now has it in her head that I will one day change my mind.

I really am going through a pretty rough time here so any help would be much appreciated. I actually broke up with her last night. She wants to try and work things out but I'm not so sure.

Dtone-
A MOST excellent addition to the forum sir, thank you very much for making yourself available and putting this together. This is a subject that is more difficult to research in the world of steroid use, so this really fills a void for me. Thank you.

Hard2gain-
Brother, I have been there to a point. Part of me wants to say it almost sounds like that was her plan from the start...know what I mean?

On the other hand (and far more probable) it really just sounds like she needs to get back on track...she was on a path of independence until she met this great guy that seems to take care of her and school/career seems far less important. The absolute best way to resolve this is to communicate what you are concerned about whether it gets you two back together or not. Best of luck bud, and keep us posted.

Wow bro great idea! Thank you this one kind of hits home for me. I'll go ahead and kick this off since I am going through a pretty rough time at the moment.

When I get on a cycle I feel like it changes the way I think and process things. This usually doesn't effect my life all that much other than my relationships with girlfriends. For some reason ever since I started my current cycle I've been thinking about my girlfriend and I's relationship a whole lot differently. I have analyzed both of our goals in life and the relationship and have came to the conclusion that I don't want to be with her anymore. The part that is really scaring me about all of this is I'm not sure if this is how I really feel or if it's the steroids.

Her and I have been together since may 2010 and have lived together since july 1, 2011. We have a dog together and the idea of breaking up with her never passed through my head till about December. She is honestly one of the hottest girls I have ever seen and def. the hottest I have been with. She doesn't party and trust has never been an issue with her, which is extremely rare for me.

Here's the things that have been bothering me... When we first started dating she was extremely ambitious and independent. She had a very good paying job where she had just got promoted. After we started dating she then quit that job to go back to school. She didn't make near the money she use to which meant I had to start helping support her. Now it's too the point where she has a shitty dead end job, is not going back to school, and I am almost fully supporting her. I make good money but not that great so I want a girl who can at least go out there and make 30k. So she has lost all of her independence and ambition. Also she all of a sudden has it in her mind that she's ready to get engaged and have kids one day. I have told her over and over that I never want kids because I have a weird phobia of them (don't ask). She use to be cool with this and now has it in her head that I will one day change my mind.

I really am going through a pretty rough time here so any help would be much appreciated. I actually broke up with her last night. She wants to try and work things out but I'm not so sure.
wow bro this is kinda scary. Same exact shit for me except we started dating Aug 2010 she moved in with me in July. Except we broke up earlier in the week. Kind of weird bro.

A much needed forum. I'm glad to see this and you are the perfect person to run it, with your intelligence and experience. congratulations :)

thank you guys, I hope I can help as much as possible.

Hard2gain...your situation is very common and for a steroid user, your first reaction is to blame any changes in your life on steroids. Steroids can affect every aspect of your life but they are not the cause of any of them.

Before I indulge, let me ask when you get on cycle, what other feelings of yours change (i.e. with your work, your other relationships, personal moods, etc.)? And are there any specific reasons why you feel your cycle is to blame?

H2G..you need to not look at her outer beauty cause that shit is going to fade one day.

Does she fulfill you emotionally? Does she challenge you intellectually? Do you feel that love for her every time you're around her? Looks fade dude...you need to evaluate if this is a sign that maybe you aren't as deeply in love with her as you think.

I've always believed you need to be a girl who is your best friend and who gives you that spark inside every time you're with her.

I was in that situation too. For five years I dated a girl and she was beautiful. But I knew inside she wasn't for me...you just KNOW...but I chose to ignore it...for years.

I finally ended it for good and met an even more beautiful girl who I connect with in so many ways (no pun intended). We have those long meaningful talks, we trust each other, we love being around each other 24/7.

It really opened my eyes and I wish I had ended it earlier. I did end it a few times...but I always ran back to her...I wish I hadn't.

Bigherm- Wow bro that is real weird. Hit me with a PM if you need anything at all man it's not easy.

dialtone- The only reason I feel like this might be from a cycle is because all this started running through my mind as the cycle started to kick in. Also in the past when I get on a cycle I get almost "cocky" and start to feel as though I can do better. I'm very rarely referred to as being a cocky person unless I'm being a complete smartass. But on a cycle I get very cocky in my head.

Durst- I have tried talking to her several times and helping her get back on track with everything and it just doesn't seem to work. She was just too comfortable. Maybe a boot to the ass is what she needed.

Thanks for all the real responses guys. All my buddies keep telling me is "dude she's so hot you can't lose that. Just work it out." Sounds like immaturity to me because I feel there is more to life than that.

Georgia has an awesome point...looks easily blur our perceptions of what is right for us. There was an old saying that I still believe in to this day..."looks will get you 6 months." This obviously means that appearances can quickly draw you in and might remain the most important feature of the relationship if there is not other quality worth sticking around for. After 6 months, the other areas of the relationship that are lacking outweigh the person's appearance and you will get out.

I think you should completely forget the thought that this problem could be related to steroids. As I said, steroids change a lot of things but they do not change what makes a good relationship.

H2G..you need to not look at her outer beauty cause that shit is going to fade one day.

Does she fulfill you emotionally? Does she challenge you intellectually? Do you feel that love for her every time you're around her? Looks fade dude...you need to evaluate if this is a sign that maybe you aren't as deeply in love with her as you think.

I've always believed you need to be a girl who is your best friend and who gives you that spark inside every time you're with her.

I was in that situation too. For five years I dated a girl and she was beautiful. But I knew inside she wasn't for me...you just KNOW...but I chose to ignore it...for years.

I finally ended it for good and met an even more beautiful girl who I connect with in so many ways (no pun intended). We have those long meaningful talks, we trust each other, we love being around each other 24/7.

It really opened my eyes and I wish I had ended it earlier. I did end it a few times...but I always ran back to her...I wish I hadn't.

Wow man I had to highlight some parts that really hit home there. I feel as some of these things use to be there and have completely faded. We use to be such good friends and I loved just chillin with her or bringing her out with my friends. Then she started getting all crazy bitch on me and now I go out with my friends to get away. The relationship isn't really bad But I just kinda feel like at this point I would have that feeling where you just "know she is the one" and it's not there.

Great forum. I can definitely relate to the psychological side effects that can occur with steroid use and its effects on relationships as well. I experience a lot of insecurities and stress/mood change and everything. I often have a strong desire to sleep with other women which is affected my relationship right now. I would never cheat but its getting to the point where I almost wanted to go on a break just to go fuck some other women. Steroid related? Probably not completely, but I'm sure test levels 10 times that of a normal man doesn't help. And the feelings of competition with every other male seem to be with me all the time. I always feel like I have to be the alpha male and I get threatened by others that are bigger or stronger than me. Feeling a little possessive as well. All manageable side effects and its still worth it to me. I've been through hell and back with drugs and alcohol and have been in recovery from that for almost 5 years. Suffered from depression/low T for many years and am on medication for that. Bodybuilding and AAS gives me something to live for and make me feel confident and good about myself. Not willing to give it up any time soon despite the host of physical and psychological sides that occur.

definitely ignore your friends...it's easy to say to stick around because someone is hot when you are not in the relationship. One thing I think you should consider, is it the fact that she is not as productive or goal oriented as she used to be that is bothering you or do you feel like you two are just simply incompatible?

The activities (social life, jobs, school, etc.) that a person engages in will always change, but there are fundamental characteristics of a person that need to stay the same in order for a relationship to work out.

Great forum. I can definitely relate to the psychological side effects that can occur with steroid use and its effects on relationships as well. I experience a lot of insecurities and stress/mood change and everything. I often have a strong desire to sleep with other women which is affected my relationship right now. I would never cheat but its getting to the point where I almost wanted to go on a break just to go fuck some other women. Steroid related? Probably not completely, but I'm sure test levels 10 times that of a normal man doesn't help. And the feelings of competition with every other male seem to be with me all the time. I always feel like I have to be the alpha male and I get threatened by others that are bigger or stronger than me. Feeling a little possessive as well. All manageable side effects and its still worth it to me. I've been through hell and back with drugs and alcohol and have been in recovery from that for almost 5 years. Suffered from depression/low T for many years and am on medication for that. Bodybuilding and AAS gives me something to live for and make me feel confident and good about myself. Not willing to give it up any time soon despite the host of physical and psychological sides that occur.

you should start a new thread so we can discuss this separately. I think A LOT of guys can relate to this and share insight.

Wow man I had to highlight some parts that really hit home there. I feel as some of these things use to be there and have completely faded. We use to be such good friends and I loved just chillin with her or bringing her out with my friends. Then she started getting all crazy bitch on me and now I go out with my friends to get away. The relationship isn't really bad But I just kinda feel like at this point I would have that feeling where you just "know she is the one" and it's not there.

Sounds just like me. She went all crazy bitch on me. Want to know why? Because I didn't truly love her and therefore didn't put in the effort to show her. I'd rather be with other people all the time and doing other stuff.

But my girl now. I KNOW she is the one. Because I have that feeling. In my previous relationship I used to dread the thought of getting married. I don't anymore.

I know it's corny to say a girl completes me. But this one does. She's someone I can spend all day on the couch just talking about life and goals and books we've read...deep shit I never had. Because we just CLICK and MESH and I know she's the one.

My ex, man...we were great at first...looks got me through a lot of our real problems...then I just realized I'm not happy like I SHOULD be...then I pulled away from her and she started just fussing all the time.

You just need to do and find what makes YOU happy. Because if your heart isn't in a good, happy place with her now it is highly unlikely it ever will be. Give someone else a chance.

Why give someone a second chance when there is someone out there waiting for their first?

Maybe steroids are pushing her looks aside and making you realize what you have on an emotional level.

Keep us updated dude.

Wow, I know what you guys are exacually going through.. Is there a relation and aas in brain devolpment being wired differently or anything? because sometimes I do feel myself changing..

I know when i cycle,i feel a little better about myself,cause its in my mind that i have another tool to help me get to where i want to be,it takes time i know,but i could never get there natural,im to old,plus im maxed out at my size now because im so tall,i just hope i can get bigger at my height,thats what i get really down and anxious about,i just have a complex about it

Sounds like she did the changing bro....it is not the aas but TIME that got you.

Quit a good job in this economy,,,then not go back to school...w-o consulting you...un cool.

I m so jaded I look at every girl I date as my ex to be....just when is the only variable.But then I m a mess...

I m so jaded I look at every girl I date as my ex to be....just when is the only variable.But then I m a mess...

You know teut, there's nothing wrong with being jaded and almost expecting the worst. Your current state of callousness is a product of many occurrences that have led you to be that way. The problem is not that you feel this way now, but that you have experienced the occurrences that have landed you here.

Hi ppl I looking for some advice if possable? Iv not long started training and started my first cycle on Sunday with Sustanon (sust) and deca for 8/10 weeks. I'm happy with how I'm training and eating and with the cycle iv chosen ( thanks to advice on a different forum) but wot i am a bit worried about it wot sides I might experience especially the psychology side of it. Has anyone had a similar cycle to mine and if so wot did u experience? All feed back would be much appreciated. JamboCraig

Back