Too Much?

MattyBoy682

I'm pretty sure my body can handle this workout I've drawn up, just looking for some thoughts/opinions on it:

Day 1 & Day 4: Back, Bis, Traps

Deadlifts: 12 (warm-ups), 10, 8, 6, 4
Weighted Wide-gripped Chins: 3x sets, 6-8 reps
T-bar Rows: 4x sets, 6-8 reps

2-handed simultaneous DB Curls: 4x sets, 6-8 reps
21's with BB: 3 sets

BB Shrugs: 4x sets, 10-12 reps
BB Trap Pulls to Chin: 3x sets, 6-8 reps

Day 2 & Day 5: Chest, Tris, Shoulders

Flat BB Press: 12 (warm-ups), 10, 8, 6, 4, 1RM
Incline DB Press: 3x sets, 6-8 reps
DB Flyes: 3x sets, 6-8 reps

Weighted Dips: 3x sets, 6-8 reps
Cable Rope Pulldowns: 3x sets, 6-8 reps

DB Shoulder Press: 4x sets, 6-8 reps
Front Lateral Raises: 3x sets, 6-8 reps
Side Lateral Raises: 3x sets, 6-8 reps

Finish with Forearm Curls: 3x sets, 8-10 reps

Day 3 & Day 6: Legs

Squats: 12 (warm-ups), 10, 8, 6, 4
Leg Press: 3x sets, 8-10 reps
Leg Curls: 3x sets, 8-10 reps
Leg Extensions: 3x sets, 8-10 reps
Weighted Calf Raises: 4x sets, 8-10 reps

How heavy do you go on deadlifts and squats ? If you go heavy i would suggest to start with leg extensions before squatting and probably lat pulldowns before deadlifting. Makes sure you are 100% ready and warmed up for the heavy weights.

1 trap exercise is enough for most people, do them righ after the back, dont do bi's in between.

On chest day i would put the fly movement in between the press movements, makes sure my tris rest while doing the flys. Big mistake for alot of people playing chest is that failure actually comes from tri's before the chest.

And yes do shoulders before tris.

motawa said:
How heavy do you go on deadlifts and squats ? If you go heavy i would suggest to start with leg extensions before squatting and probably lat pulldowns before deadlifting. Makes sure you are 100% ready and warmed up for the heavy weights.

1 trap exercise is enough for most people, do them righ after the back, dont do bi's in between.

On chest day i would put the fly movement in between the press movements, makes sure my tris rest while doing the flys. Big mistake for alot of people playing chest is that failure actually comes from tri's before the chest.

And yes do shoulders before tris.

I go heavy on squats and DL's, but I haven't tried doing them heavy 2 times per week. It might result in CNS fatigue. Perhaps I could try doing the first three days as heavy as possible, and then the next 3 on the lighter side, almost as an active recovery between heavy days?

bigmitch69 said:
I'd work shoulders before triceps.

Will do, makes sense.

I think you're reps are a little high on deads. I like to not go any higher than 5 or 6 max. Also I think doing squats and leg press in the same workout is overkill. I'd alternate them or do squats and every once in a while do leg press instead to switch it up.

Too much volume for a natural, and you don't really need that much volume even while on drugs.

I think you should just use a standard routine (ex. DC, 5x5, HST, Max-Stim, etc) instead of trying to make your own. Very few people can make good routines that will be sustainable over a long period of time.

Heavy squats and deads that often is going to kill your lower back unless heavy for you isn't very heavy. But if you are squatting/deadlifting at least twice your bodyweight... then bad idea.

Back