Top UFC Lightweight contender

JayC

..in the making
So once UFC 84 is over, who will be the next contender.? I just assumed Florian or quite possibly Griffin would be next up for a shot, but NO! I recently heard that Huerta agreed to fight Florian at UFC 87 for top contender status.. WOW. I love Roger Huerta so I was happy to to hear it. I know Florian is a great fighter but I think Roger has a chance. I'll definetly take him as the underdog for the upset. I like rooting for the underdog.

Heurta vs Floria has been a rumor for a couple weeks now. It's a tough bet to make and usually the guy that i pick to win...... yah, they tend to end up losing (except for GSP, LOL)

Huerta and KenFlo both deserve a shot, IMO and Tyson Griffin isn't too far off either.

But in the long run I don't think too many people will be able to hang with BJ anyways.

But in the long run I don't think too many people will be able to hang with BJ anyways.

Ya, that was actually the consensus in a few recent discussions I had. All three (Ken-Flo, Huerta, and Griffin) are worthy but not one really has an advantage over BJ or the ability to dominate him.
I think Kenny would have the best chance if he could keep it on the ground, he probably has the best BJJ out of the 3 contenders but is nowhere near BJ's Jits.
Huerta's only chance would be his athletisism and those nice kicks he has. If he can wear BJ out in a few rounds, he can spend the later rounds picking him off w/those kicks and conditioning. BJ's fight with Sherk will dictate how serious he's taken his conditioning.
Griffin is tough. He's solid with a very solid chin and has been training w/Couture. He might be able to just bang it out with BJ and hope for that one good shot.

I think KenFlo has the worst chance. No, not because he is the worse fighter of the 3. I just think that the way their styles match up isn't in favor of KenFlo.

He win's most fights with his ground game and BJ has a superior BJJ game, so it doesn't benefit Florian to take the fight to the ground.

Atleast Griffin and Huerta have decent standup

I think Florian is a bad match up for Huerta because Huerta fights loose and sometimes wild or sloppy. He leaves himself open at times for strikes and submissions, and mostly relies on outpacing the other fighter. Florian is very disciplined and very rangy. It really comes down to whether Huerta's strength could keep Kenny from taking him down.

Of the 3 I think Griffin actually has the best chance of beating BJ, but I still think he would get worked. BJ is a level above all of these guys, cardio is the only thing that can stop him in a fight.

I'm going to have to go with Florian in this one. But BJ stands well above the three fighters mentioned.

UFC 87: AUGUST 9, 2008 IN MINNEAPOLIS
venue: Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota

-Mark Coleman vs. Brock Lesnar
-Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta

after the way grey maynard handled frankie edgar id have to put him right in the mix as well, he's freakin huge for a lightwieght too

Back