vacuum filteration system

100ml takes about 15 minutes tops.

i have a handheld vaccum pump that works with water but not oil. =0(

a decent electric one is very expensive. well the ones i looked at were.

PB if you had access to a vaccum line or also known as an aspirator this system would be cheap, fast and super easy. probably better than syringe. i have access to a couple of em, plus a sterile environment. but dont plan on using it. i rather be at one with my home brew at, key word, HOME:D.

chichy

hmmm how does the filters for this thing look? and what kind of changing process am i looking at filter wise? IMO, i could prolly use this kinda contraption to save money....i know im a cheap bastard!

The problem with Stericup Filter is that after you unscrew the top your filtered product is exposed to air and thus is exposed to contamination. Correct?

RooTShell

RooTShell said:
The problem with Stericup Filter is that after you unscrew the top your filtered product is exposed to air and thus is exposed to contamination. Correct?

RooTShell

as long as you in a relatively clean enviroment with no wind you OK. esp if you gonna heat sterilize after filtering.

I have those stericup filters, and I use that same hand vacuum pump. They work awesome...... I filter 250ml's of oil based solution in under 1 minute.
It takes almost 2 minutes to filter 250ml's of fina made from pellets (because of the pellet binders).

Mr.T said:
I have those stericup filters, and I use that same hand vacuum pump. They work awesome...... I filter 250ml's of oil based solution in under 1 minute.
It takes almost 2 minutes to filter 250ml's of fina made from pellets (because of the pellet binders).

what am i doing wrong T?

i set up this way. tube running into beaker with solution. i place a syringe filter at the cup. water works great but oil will not pull thru. any suggestions for a lowly powerlifter?

pullinbig said:
what am i doing wrong T?

i set up this way. tube running into beaker with solution. i place a syringe filter at the cup. water works great but oil will not pull thru. any suggestions for a lowly powerlifter?

well after a bit of reading and goofing around i got it workng. filtered 50ml of oil in about 3 or 4 minutes. thanks chi for bringing this up and T for saying it worked. of course i was using syringe filters so i know that slowed it a bit.

and thanks to me for making this post, right :D

PB,

is that what you have http://www.researchlabsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=130 if i was to purchase this unit, would i need anything else? Can you explain how this unit works, if it's the one you have.

Thanks

pullinbig said:
well after a bit of reading and goofing around i got it workng. filtered 50ml of oil in about 3 or 4 minutes. thanks chi for bringing this up and T for saying it worked. of course i was using syringe filters so i know that slowed it a bit.

your welcome PB, and you too aky

i would think that the hand pump and aspirator would be kinda on in the same. connect one end of a hose to the aspirator and the other to a beaker (with a spout) with a detergent solution in it. with another hose, it would come out of the beaker and connect to the filtration sytem. in your case, its easier, but again the same, connect the end of the tube from the pump to the filtration sytem spout. the "beaker" would be that container thing on the pump you see. i would just turn the lever for the aspirator and walla steril stuff. you just pump. connect tube and pump. really easy. that may be a good way to go. the hand pump and the filtration sytem for speed and maybe funds. what do you guys think about the fund conservation? i would replace that tube on the pump with an actual dense glass beaker with a spout though. what can i say i like glass.

**edit added moe details**

chichy

aky said:
and thanks to me for making this post, right :D

PB,

is that what you have http://www.researchlabsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=130 if i was to purchase this unit, would i need anything else? Can you explain how this unit works, if it's the one you have.

Thanks

Last edited:
pullinbig said:
what am i doing wrong T?

I didn't use the vacuum pump with a syringe filter. I used the stericup filtration unit. It is a sterile, single use filtration flask, and they work great.

Mr.T said:
I didn't use the vacuum pump with a syringe filter. I used the stericup filtration unit. It is a sterile, single use filtration flask, and they work great.

yeah i saw them. 12-15 bucks a pop. i'll use the syringe filters for now. worked great. not any faster than by hand but a lot more convient once its set up.

thanks all.

Back