We often talk about ufc fighters crappy pay...

Tsaunders

But when you look at it from a fan's perspective, isnt this what we want? The fighters get paid crap, we all know that, but that keeps them hungry, keeps them focused and they fight like it could be their last fight, which it very well could be. When your a main event guy making 100k, like Forrest does EVERY fight is important.

Thoughts...

They would still be hungry if they got paid more fairly. It shouldn't be only the top 5% of fighters that are able to make a living at the sport.

I don't care that they don't get paid. They are setting such a bad example for kids. I hate to admit it but mma is my guilty pleasure but I think it is totally stupid.

i think if more people could afford to comfortably live off of fighting then you could have better fighters its tough to be a top fighter when you have to work a day job. it also could attract more talent for big paydays. i dont know the finances of any fight organizations so i dont know whats really fair. people talk shit about dana white and the ufc but clearly with all the other failed or failing organizations it isnt so easy to make money in this business. you cant overpay the fighters because ultimately you may not be in business to overpay them much longer.

I believe they could be paid more however there is a lot of money that goes into promotions and keeping the business running. They almost went bankrupt and closed the doors and it if wasn't for the reality show being a hit they would have. They are now bringing in more money but they are also paying the guys better then they were.

For watching it on PPV it went from $40 to $55; so they are now charging more. Tickets for seats also went up if you look. So as a fan do I want my prices to go up even more so that the fighters can get paid more? If you talk to any of the up and comers they want to be in the UFC even knowing the pay scales; which is a lot better then what they are making fighting in the smaller venues. I have friends that fight and for their first fight they made $300 to win; and the cost for the initial brain scan was $300 ... so they made nothing. And if they get knocked out they have to get a scan again.

While people would like to think there is huge money in this, and there is, there is also huge costs. And as we know from the reality show and for us that know people in this, they all want to get there and are fighting tooth and nail to do so. It isn't just about the money it is also about the lime light and the thirst to fight.

I don't care that they don't get paid. They are setting such a bad example for kids. I hate to admit it but mma is my guilty pleasure but I think it is totally stupid.

You sir are a complete moron! Please find another section to share your ignorance with.. that is all.

i think if more people could afford to comfortably live off of fighting then you could have better fighters its tough to be a top fighter when you have to work a day job. it also could attract more talent for big paydays. i dont know the finances of any fight organizations so i dont know whats really fair. people talk shit about dana white and the ufc but clearly with all the other failed or failing organizations it isnt so easy to make money in this business. you cant overpay the fighters because ultimately you may not be in business to overpay them much longer.

The ufc has its success because of one major thing, and that was the ultimate fighter season 1

Tsaunders, you are correct. While the UFC has always had its followers, it was never enough to keep it afloat. Like I earlier mentioned they were going under and Dana and the owners (two brothers) but Dana had this brainstorm and wanted one final kick at the cat and it paid off.

Now regular people can relate to the fighters and become emotionally attached without really knowing anything about MMA fighting. Because of these people the UFC is popular not because of us die hard fans that watched them before the Ultimate Fighter started. Dana was smart, give a society of reality show watchers something else to watch.

The days of the UFC failing to make ends meet are long done. They are making colossal profit off of every card, even the shitty ones. Moreover, they are doing so in a failing economy.

Undercard fighters should make more. I think the top tier guys make enough. Money in sports is so ridiculous and we're all jaded by Footbal, Baseball etc. You don't have much of an argument to pay players less when they bring in such revenue but It makes me angry sometimes when I see some worthless thug who has a 45 inch vertical and runs a 4.3 40 make insane money when Teachers, Police Officers, The Military and other hard jobs receive such terrible pay while some fucking idiot (Pacman, Vick etc.) piss away millions. I was watching Prime U on the NFL network the other day and they were preparing draft picks for the testing portion of the combine and it amazing that some of these dopes can tie their fucking shoes. They were asking them 5th grade questions and they had to be taught all kinds of probability tricks for multiple choice questions. Makes you wonder how they didn't flunk out of these major Universitys. Hmmm. And these guys are the gonna be sooooo rich off of just there signing bonuses and guaranteed money that it doesn't matter if they don't work out. Ridiculous.

Teachers, Police Officers, The Military and other hard jobs receive such terrible pay

bad examples. i dont understand why teachers always get thrown in as being underpaid. probably because they are the ones bitching to us as kids. teaching seems to be one of the few professions where its ok to constantly bitch about being underpaid. teaching is probably the easiest job there is.

police officers are all pieces of shit.

military is a fine example but i dont really want them overly paid because thats my tax dollars.

Undercard fighters should make more. I think the top tier guys make enough. Money in sports is so ridiculous and we're all jaded by Footbal, Baseball etc. You don't have much of an argument to pay players less when they bring in such revenue but It makes me angry sometimes when I see some worthless thug who has a 45 inch vertical and runs a 4.3 40 make insane money when Teachers, Police Officers, The Military and other hard jobs receive such terrible pay while some fucking idiot (Pacman, Vick etc.) piss away millions. I was watching Prime U on the NFL network the other day and they were preparing draft picks for the testing portion of the combine and it amazing that some of these dopes can tie their fucking shoes. They were asking them 5th grade questions and they had to be taught all kinds of probability tricks for multiple choice questions. Makes you wonder how they didn't flunk out of these major Universitys. Hmmm. And these guys are the gonna be sooooo rich off of just there signing bonuses and guaranteed money that it doesn't matter if they don't work out. Ridiculous.

All the athletes at major schools have people on call to do their homework for them full time.

Captain Awesome, you are so predictable. Hate everything and every one don't you? You are entertaining though.

bad examples. i dont understand why teachers always get thrown in as being underpaid. probably because they are the ones bitching to us as kids. teaching seems to be one of the few professions where its ok to constantly bitch about being underpaid. teaching is probably the easiest job there is.

police officers are all pieces of shit.

military is a fine example but i dont really want them overly paid because thats my tax dollars.

Police officers are all retarded and we should not reward a job that only requires a GED with a substantial salary. Militarty underpaid, i woudlnt mind paying a little better. IDK where to start with teachers but i think they are perfectly paid.

Captain Awesome, you are so predictable. Hate everything and every one don't you? You are entertaining though.

i like military folk. i sure as hell dont want to go out there and have skinnies and sandniggers shooting their AK47s at me and plating IED's next to my hummer. so they are A OK in my book.

i dont hate teachers but i feel they get way too much credit. its an easy job with great time off for a decent salary and benefits. i wish the mamasita was a teacher. of course, id have to watch out since lots of teachers these days are banging students.

i dont really have anything positive to say about cops.

They do make decent money from their sponsers...but think about it, top boxers get paid 20 million for a big fight. UFC has sold more PPV for some events then the biggest boxing matches. It's only fair the main card fighters should get a decent peice of the pie.
A fighter with a long career is going to have major physical and mental ailments when he retires, and most of them live in the US where there's not free health care.

They do make decent money from their sponsers...but think about it, top boxers get paid 20 million for a big fight. UFC has sold more PPV for some events then the biggest boxing matches. It's only fair the main card fighters should get a decent peice of the pie.
A fighter with a long career is going to have major physical and mental ailments when he retires, and most of them live in the US where there's not free health care.

The problem is not necessarily with the pay for the top fighters, who are now making 250k to a million a fight plus sponsorship money. The middle of the road fighters as well as the undercard guys get little to nothing by way of sponsors.

Back