What separates a long-term gear user from the pro BB.

electricred

I'm a relative beginner, mostly strength focused in my training, and about to start my third cycle (1st Test only, 2nd Test/dbol). This may seem like a dumb question but I know many guys (powerlifters and local/regional amateur BBs) who've been on gear for years and while they look great, don't have that freaky mass and pronounced bellies that pro BBs have. What is it that separates low leve bodybuilders from those pros? It must be more than the gear,. Perhaps their use of GH/IGH1 and insulin protocols? Is it simple genetics, or even SEO usage? Diet? I suspect it's a combination of these things, but I know guys who seem to be on point with their diet, GH use, and don't have that sort of mass. This isn't the path for me being a strength athlete, but something I've always wondered and been ignorant about. Sorry if this is a dumb question that has been brought up before but I couldn't find anything.

Goals are what separates powerlifters, athletes and body builders..each goal, destination striving to reach has a different set of standards... Diet,training and gear use is entirely different, as the spectrum is vast, and results will differ..

Do you know that vast amount of cyclist use PED's? Why don't they look huge?

It all comes down to; Goals, diets and compounds.. These will differ from one to the next..Recreational purposes vs a way of life!

Some people just like to "Play/use" as others make it a full commitment, and altogether the difference from one to the next is recreational use compared to a way of life that predefines the "RULES"... It's like comparing apples and oranges.. Some look for that added advantaged, while others try to be the best version of themselves that they possible can be...Braking the limits so to speak!

Its not even the AAS/GH/IFG/Slin/Myostatin Inhibitors(if they do exist), or supplements they take, diets they have, coaches they have that separates them from the rest. If everything is in place, it is genetics that puts them above the rest and in the elite category. The percentage of people that can actually look like that is so low and even if someone has the physical genetics to do so most lack the mental genetics to be able to do what they do and look how they look.

So many people look at the pros and say 'holy shit, I wonder what they are taking'. I bet most would be surprised to see actually how little they actually take in comparison to what people actually think(although some most likely do). These individuals are EXTREMELY gifted genetically. I heard someone say once, that the top bodybuilders in the world are to bodybuilding what Lebron James is to basketball, and its true. Do you think if anyone trained as hard as they could for as long as they wanted they would ever be as good a Lebron at basketball? Not a chance. Same goes for bodybuilding. Yes, hard work can get you places, absolutely, and you can develop a great physique if you put the time in but at the end of the day, not to sound negative, looking like a pro is something the majority of people will never be able to do.

Last edited:
I'll say I have to agree with Vision, u too carv, and this is strictly my opinion. But take me for example, I'd love to have a better built body, but when u factor in things like time, for instance: I paint apartments for 10hrs plus a day. That leaves me minimal time in the gym. Lucky to get an hour 5 days a week. Forgot to mention I'm raising 3 young kiddos too. So time is a huge factor. Then diet, of course. I'd say the big boys spend some serious money on their food. Whole foods, healthy food ain't cheap. We spend $700/ month on food, at Kroger to get all 5 of us by. Then add in genetics. That's playing with the hand you were dealt. And I'd say the majority of us weren't dealt a similar hand as what Arnold was dealt. You cN use all Tue gear you want but if you don't have the best of the other conditions in place, I think there is only so much you can achieve. My thought.
Good points shredder!

Last edited:
Its not even the AAS/GH/IFG/Slin/Myostatin Inhibitors(if they do exist), or supplements they take, diets they have, coaches they have that separates them from the rest. If everything is in place, it is genetics that puts them above the rest and in the elite category. The percentage of people that can actually look like that is so low and even if someone has the physical genetics to do so most lack the mental genetics to be able to do what they do and look how they look.

So many people look at the pros and say 'holy shit, I wonder what they are taking'. I bet most would be surprised to see actually how little they actually take in comparison to what people actually think(although some most likely do). These individuals are EXTREMELY gifted genetically. I heard someone say once, that the top bodybuilders in the world are to bodybuilding what Lebron James is to basketball, and its true. Do you think if anyone trained as hard as they could for as long as they wanted they would ever be as good a Lebron at basketball? Not a chance. Same goes for bodybuilding. Yes, hard work can get you places, absolutely, and you can develop a great physique if you put the time in but at the end of the day, not to sound negative, looking like a pro is something the majority of people will never be able to do.

Some look for that added advantaged, while others try to be the best version of themselves that they possible can be...Braking the limits so to speak!

It starts with an idea, then one must brake the limits (genetics)...

I'll say I have to agree with Vision, u too carv, and this is strictly my opinion. But take me for example, I'd love to have a better built body, but when u factor in things like time, for instance: I paint apartments for 10hrs plus a day. That leaves me minimal time in the gym. Lucky to get an hour 5 days a week. Forgot to mention I'm raising 3 young kiddos too. So time is a huge factor. Then diet, of course. I'd say the big boys spend some serious money on their food. Whole foods, healthy food ain't cheap. We spend $700/ month on food, at Kroger to get all 5 of us by. Then add in genetics. That's playing with the hand you were dealt. And I'd say the majority of us weren't dealt a similar hand as what Arnold was dealt. You cN use all Tue gear you want but if you don't have the best of the other conditions in place, I think there is only so much you can achieve. My thought.
Good points shredder!

Genetics will always be a given, but one thing that many people fail to posses with good genetics or not is the "Idea"... Most successful people I know always say "It started with an idea, then it became something else"...

It starts with an idea, then one must brake the limits (genetics)...

As much as people think the can go beyond they genetic limitations, this is only somewhat true. People can build and hold onto more muscle with the use of AAS and other PEDs. But, it is IMPOSSIBLE, to change the shape of the muscle, length of the muscle, bone structure, thickness of muscle fascia etc etc.

Sure, pro bodybuilder have access to stuff but, so does everyone else. At the end of the day an AAS or PED, if dosed correctly is the same across the board. They do not have access to magic drugs. Genetics is what separates them. At the end of the day we are ALL limited to what we can do genetically.

Go walk down the street and pick 100 people, heck, pick 1000 people. Give each of them the EXACT diet plan, training program, and drug regimen, and lifestyle as Phil Health or any other top pro to be able to do what he/they do and I bet not one ends up with a physique even close to any one of them.

And, m not trying to sound like a downer but that's just the way it it. Go spend 20 years shooting hoops, is anyone going to be able to even come close to Lebron James or Michael Jordans skill level? Not a chance. Or go spend 30 years in the boxing ring, is anyone going to come close to Mayweathers skill level? Not a chance. How about ever becoming as good of a guitar player as Zakk Wylde? Never going to happen.

Any top level elite athlete.......heck, any top elite individual who is an artist at what ever they do is born with a genetic gift that can not be matched by 99.9% of the population.

Last edited:
for most Pro's it took a good 15-20+ years to build the physique that they have .. Jay Cutler started training hard at 15 , he dieted and trained with a professional coach for the next 20 years and became mr olympia at 35 years old .. that is a LONG TIME .

so imagine yourself training day in and day out consistently for 20 years . most people don't realize how long it takes to build that type of pro level physique , most people just imagine in happens in a year or two but it does not (of course there are the exceptions and genetic freaks out there).

for most Pro's it took a good 15-20+ years to build the physique that they have .. Jay Cutler started training hard at 15 , he dieted and trained with a professional coach for the next 20 years and became mr olympia at 35 years old .. that is a LONG TIME .

so imagine yourself training day in and day out consistently for 20 years . most people don't realize how long it takes to build that type of pro level physique , most people just imagine in happens in a year or two but it does not (of course there are the exceptions and genetic freaks out there).

My point exactly....

Genetics have their role, but the commitment and dedication that all started with an idea is what the end result will be... The potential and possibilities are endless!

Environmental obstacles are a big set back, at least for me and I'd imagine for some more. I'd love to spend the money for the food and the time it would take n the gym but given my environment, it's not realistic. Jobs need done, kids need raised. I'd have to put one of those on the back burner to afford the above mentioned. Can't do that. Won't do that.

Environmental obstacles are a big set back, at least for me and I'd imagine for some more. I'd love to spend the money for the food and the time it would take n the gym but given my environment, it's not realistic. Jobs need done, kids need raised. I'd have to put one of those on the back burner to afford the above mentioned. Can't do that. Won't do that.

and that's that hard honest truth...

People tend to forget the hardships that most these pro's go through or are living with... The elite don't do it for the money, because it simply aint there, they do it for the glory!

Genetics and drugs aside.....these guys just have more of what it takes. We all cycle and train hard and eat well, but let's be honest WE COULD ALL DO BETTER. These guys train harder, eat more/better, and put their entire lives into it. Mind you...most of them put work, family, friends,etc on hold. Most of us still have jobs, family, friends, social lives, and other things that prevent us from giving it 110%. If we were to shut out everything in our lives and focus on nothing but bodybuilding....I'd bet most of us could at least get to a decent level.

I wouldn't give genetics all the credit to looking like an ifbb pro....i'd give genetics credit to the top few definitely....but I don't think you have to be genetically gifted to get to the top level. People say Dorian had bad genetics and he made up for it with hard work.

Knowledge and dedication is what makes us who we are. Without both you will not get far in this life. AAS are just a part of what it takes.

With a solid understanding of training, nutrition and correct use of PED's you can transform your body, unless you were really screwed as far as genetics, but even then you can still look way better than most.

Back