What separates a long-term gear user from the pro BB.

I think one thing that makes a pro a pro is the ability to not get horrible side effects with large ammounts of PED'S. I remember Nasser saying that the pro's basically would have all been dead a long time ago if their bodies weren't able to handle the side effects from mega dosing drugs for decades. I think if most of us were to try a pro bodybuilders complete cycle our bodies would not be able to handle the dosages and we would have major health problems.

Genetics and drugs aside.....these guys just have more of what it takes. We all cycle and train hard and eat well, but let's be honest WE COULD ALL DO BETTER. These guys train harder, eat more/better, and put their entire lives into it. Mind you...most of them put work, family, friends,etc on hold. Most of us still have jobs, family, friends, social lives, and other things that prevent us from giving it 110%. If we were to shut out everything in our lives and focus on nothing but bodybuilding....I'd bet most of us could at least get to a decent level.

I wouldn't give genetics all the credit to looking like an ifbb pro....i'd give genetics credit to the top few definitely....but I don't think you have to be genetically gifted to get to the top level. People say Dorian had bad genetics and he made up for it with hard work.

That's the truth... You dont need to be a genetic freak.. I have a ton of guys in my network that are absolute animals, and never competed, it's not what there goal.. There's thousands of animals out there, I mean Christ go to an expo you'll see average Joes and tanks all over.. Just because someone is top level doesn't mean they're the only ones out there...

We have some studs at our school that could easily dominate in the Abu Dhabi trials, or make rank at the Pam-ams or ADCC, but yet they just come to school to roll and go home to wake up for work the next day... Not everyone is on the competitive page!

Look around here, we have some 1% percenters here that don't have a name for themselves, but yet enjoy lifting heavy things, with the challenge of self improvement...

Take 100 Joe's from the street, get them to be committed to the lifestyle, dieting, training, the whole way of life and I bet you my bottom dollar they won't look "Average"!

Nuff said

Fuck average....

I think one thing that makes a pro a pro is the ability to not get horrible side effects with large ammounts of PED'S. I remember Nasser saying that the pro's basically would have all been dead a long time ago if their bodies weren't able to handle the side effects from mega dosing drugs for decades. I think if most of us were to try a pro bodybuilders complete cycle our bodies would not be able to handle the dosages and we would have major health problems.

People often advocate that people would be surprised on how little some pro's use... Yeah, and MOST would be surprised on how much some use too.. Like mega dosages... 10k mgs a week or better..

people can be so silly... For heck sake Rich Piana tries to convince the masses that was on ONLY HCG for a few years, yet he made some of the biggest gains... laughable!

Great thread guys and awesome input. So with the physical genetics and all that was said there is the genetics of their mind to do this. Many people given all we discussed , given everything equal to the Big pro's , who of us could actually keep up the work. Have a mind set for 20 plus years, no-stop. Very little time off. Their brain is never off on vacation IMOP. The drive day in and day out for so many years.

Ya know I was in water skiing competition and I / we have seen the champions break their own personal records in world competition. I mean they break their own records that they do in practice. WTF most competitors can't perform in comp as well as they do at home/ practice sites. So this is what I mean by the mental strength, stamina to focus and do/ perform that idea. What they see themselves doing.

I'm just chiming in on the genetics of a champion , the Pro of any sport takes the complete pkg. Genetics of mental, physical and their spirit.

Great thread guys and awesome input. So with the physical genetics and all that was said there is the genetics of their mind to do this. Many people given all we discussed , given everything equal to the Big pro's , who of us could actually keep up the work. Have a mind set for 20 plus years, no-stop. Very little time off. Their brain is never off on vacation IMOP. The drive day in and day out for so many years.

Ya know I was in water skiing competition and I / we have seen the champions break their own personal records in world competition. I mean they break their own records that they do in practice. WTF most competitors can't perform in comp as well as they do at home/ practice sites. So this is what I mean by the mental strength, stamina to focus and do/ perform that idea. What they see themselves doing.

I'm just chiming in on the genetics of a champion , the Pro of any sport takes the complete pkg. Genetics of mental, physical and their spirit.

That was awesome!

Well said Mike... I like that phrasing "genetic mindset of a champ"..

"genetic mindset of a champ"..

Another great slogan idea lol :)
"It starts with an idea, then one must break the limits and have the genetic mindset of a champion..."

you better Copyright this fast Vision ;)

Last edited:
Another great slogan idea lol :)
"It starts with an idea, then one must break the limits and have the genetic mindset of a champ..."

you better Copyright this fast Vision ;)

I literally wrote that down and saved it...

When you really think about it, it speaks volume!!!!

Great thread!! Sometime you look at the title of a thread and Think nothing of it or "wow, that's prolly a boring thread". Then you read it. Lol. Good stuff:)
Who the heck started this one!?!?

I literally wrote that down and saved it...

When you really think about it, it speaks volume!!!!
You never know what will happen when great minds get together. I will PM you to tell you where to send my checks :) lol

Last edited:
and how about the lifespan of both of these subjects, whos would last more?

all things being equal , the pro that competes on stage is going to have more health consequences. Getting down to really low BF % and shedding all the water weight and dehydrating yourself with diuretics is exretemely hard on the body, kidneys, and other internal organs . And some of them do this 8+ times per year every year.

that is going to take its toll in the long run . Where as your average joe gear user never does that to his body even once.

This isn't something that separates someone from the pack but something one must consider if wanting to become a professional, and that is money. The amount of money it costs to eat how they do, run the supplements and gear that they do, pay for trainers, and everything else. It is NOT cheap. Heres a cool little video......

Last edited:
Genetics is 'everything' when it comes to being elite.... those guys were born with perfect symmetry, receptive muscle tissue, appropriate muscle bellies, strong as f*ck joints and an in-built temperament to work harder than the rest....

I've been training HARD for 25 years, I surpassed my own 'poor' genetic potential after 12-15 years and I've spent the last 10 years cycling progressively and making great gains. I'd put myself (as far as training techniques and protocols go) as elite.

Fortunately I do not have money issues and can buy whatever food, supplements and drugs that I want.

I have an incredible work ethic, and go through training partners like they are going out of fashion, I have a steely determination to be the best I can be.

But I'll tell you this - I am STILL a million miles behind what the elite guys are, they make me look like a dwarf in comparison.

I have trained with international bodybuilders, and kept up with them, in fact I have usually outgunned them for stamina and endurance. We use the same techniques, protocols, training methods and volume. Yet they respond soooo much better than I do.

Of course, I'm not naive - the AAS, the food, the supps and the backroom crew all go to help.

But when it comes to being an ELITE bodybuilder - it's ALL in the genes!

And just so no one takes my comments on genetics the wrong way. I by NO MEANS am saying pros have great genetics and thats it and can slack in other areas. Thats not what I mean. There is a boatload of other factors involved like weve talked about here, all great points too btw. But, all those factors wont get you to pro status or better if you dont have the genetics for it. Simple as that.

And just so no one takes my comments on genetics the wrong way. I by NO MEANS am saying pros have great genetics and thats it and can slack in other areas. Thats not what I mean. There is a boatload of other factors involved like weve talked about here, all great points too btw. But, all those factors wont get you to pro status or better if you dont have the genetics for it. Simple as that.

Bro, I don't think anyone took it the wrong way, and I'm 100% confident that everyone agrees that genetics are a main attribute to the pro's.. But, we can never minimize or over look the hard work and dedication of the little man that dreams big (compared to the pro card)...

This was great stuff.

Agreeeeed. Drive diet raining gear MONEY..GENETICS TOOOO..

I ll admit it..I used gear as I was strong for a skinny kid and wanted to powerlift.VANITY..small joint s high metab..I competed in bbdng locally. VANITY...Genetically and financially but mainly mentally...I could not t hold a candle to anything close to those guy s.

The dedicate and work...never coulda done it...to ADD too...lot s of other interests..love the gym...esp leaving it after crushing it. But we ll never quit...

I gotta put this in my "Favorites " bar.

The video was great shredder and what a great last post bigbenn. All you guys that shared said good and informative things in your posts. So much food for thought here and great attitudes.

I hope this thread gets many, many reads. Maybe it will help the newbie youthful to recognize what it all takes and that there is no magic pill or injection. Also these people who say, and I laugh, "I don't want to get too big or huge" ah ha ha ha . I wish ! :)

Thanks n catch you guys across the board of "Steroidology " :dance2:

Bro, I don't think anyone took it the wrong way, and I'm 100% confident that everyone agrees that genetics are a main attribute to the pro's.. But, we can never minimize or over look the hard work and dedication of the little man that dreams big (compared to the pro card)...

Having dreams and goals and hope and the balls to go out and achieve those goals whether youll become a pro or not is a GREAT thing, without a doubt. It is those things along with hard fuckin work and dedication that got me to where I am today....which is also a place I never thought I could get to when I first started training 12 years ago.

Young kids should be aware of the fact that becoming a successful pro is no easy task and the majority of people will fail at it. Train for the love of training and dont throw all your eggs in one basket becaude youll most likely be in for a rude awakening.

Last edited:
Having dreams and goals and hope and the balls to go out and achieve those goals whether youll become a pro or not is a GREAT thing, without a doubt. It is those things along with hard fuckin work and dedication that got me to where I am today....which is also a place I never thought I could get to when I first started training 12 years ago.

Exactly...

I remember the first time I pinned, it was the summer of "96", I just wish that pin was loaded with education, in lieu it was loaded with "lack of commitment".. What a ride it's been so far..

failure after failure.... You know, when I think about, what separates us from others is we keep pushing when it hurts the worst, because we already know the pain that comes with quitting, and that's not an option.. All I know is what's important to me, and I'll find a way, not an excuse!

Back