whats the best foods to bulk up, and put on size??

ladybaltimore

I'm just curious what I should eat to put on some size, while doing so on a relative low budget, being a student and all. I am 6'0" 195lbs. and would like to bulk up to may 205...

Here is a list of some of my favs

Carbs
Oatmeal
Wheat pasta
Brown rice
Wheat bread
Beans

Protein
Chicken
Turkey
Tuna
Lean cuts of beef
Egg Whites
skim milk
cottage cheese

nice list ranger!

forgoten...VEGGIES!!! for fiber and nutrients(essential to grow!)

and DO NOT forget your EFA's.. flax oil, hempseed oil, olive oil, fatty fish, nuts/seeds in moderation, etc. no diet is complete without them!

Add to that carb list sweet potatoes..yumm!

how can you bulk up on that ranger, if you need a ton of calories for a hardgainer say weighing about 150-170lbs. ? 5000 cals. Its impossible unless you throw in some fast food!

If you read it again it says that those are some of my favorites.I eat tons of other stuff too but thats just a list of the stuff i like the most

MAX-take everything that ranger said and add it to what atherjen said. you can get 5000 cals easy!! example #1
meal#1-3 whole eggs-5 egg whites
1 cup oatmeal
5 oz lean ground beef
meal#2-2 scoops whey protein
2 scoops N-large
2 tbsp- whipping cream
1 tbsp-flax oil
meal#3-8-10 oz lean meat
1 cup rice or 8 oz potato
1 cup green vegge
1 tbsp olive oil
meal#4- same as #2
meal#5- same as #3
meal#6- 8oz lean ground beef
1/2 cup green vegge

**post workout-3 scoop N-large-1 scoop whey
**1 cup of peanuts throught the day to snack on!!

you do the math!! i will bet it is between 5000-5500 in calories and NO junk in there!! i have done it and it works!!

sonis9 said:
MAX-take everything that ranger said and add it to what atherjen said. you can get 5000 cals easy!! example #1
1 cup oatmeal
5 oz lean ground beef
2 scoops N-large
2 tbsp- whipping cream
1 tbsp-flax oil
meal#3-8-10 oz lean meat
1 cup green vegge
1 tbsp olive oil
meal#4- same as #2
meal#5- same as #3
1/2 cup green vegge

you do the math!! i will bet it is between 5000-5500 in calories and NO junk in there!! i have done it and it works!!

Good post Sonis!

What foods are recommended for someone who is of quite stocky (athletic) build (an easy-gainer) and is trying to prevent bulking up further, but maintain muscle tone, increase strength, tone up and increase metabolism. Is the list ranger gave still appropriate for eats? :confused:

:bigok:

Cut out more fats?? Eat more carbs?? Eat more proteins even?? What?

I'm tryna concentrate on my diet more now as i feel that what I'm eating currently is just being worked off everytime I workout (30mins High intensity, 30 mins rep workout to main muscle groups 3-4 days a week). Maybe I eat too much? or eating irregularly! I dunno. I feel I am only making slow inroads to achieving my goal! I can see a change in 2 months but it's slow. trimming waist, mainly! Do i just need to be more patient? Can a controlled diet help? I tend to just eat what's in front of me!

Appreciate any replies ?

Last edited:
Sonis, NICE POST!!!! listen to the man, he knows his stuff! :)

Camel..let me get this straight.. youre goal is to maintain your current size while slowly loosing a lil fat?
what do you mean by rep workout ? are you doing cardio before lifting?
also, it would really help if you could post up a typical days diet.. amount, time, etc. we could work from there. what are your current stats?

Yeah, maintain current size, but trim my love handles! hehehe!

Am doing 30 mins cardio (getting heart rate upto 155). 5 min warm down. then 30-40min workout 3x15 repetitions on CHESTPRESS, LATS, THIGHS of medium weight. Finish with Ab crunches and reverse sit-up's!

(I'm concentrating on main muscle groups now to try n keep metabolism up!)

Stats are 5'9" and 182lbs

I've always been unconcerned about what I eat, so feel it's time to pay attention to diet!

I never really measure level of carbs, protein, fats in what I eat
although i'll always go for healthier option, but how do you know what exactly is healthier... keep gettin told different things!

I eat 3 times daily. 8am, 12pm, 6pm. Is it best to eat smaller portions maybe 5 or 6 times a day rater than 3 times a day?

With current regime, should I increase protein intake, Carb intake, Fat intake? or reduce any of these food groups... that's basically what I need to know. then i'll try n workout what I'm eating and amend where possible!

thanks for the reply :)

p.s. i always vowed i wouldn't get this serious about working out, but since I joined the gym, IT'S BLUMMIN' ADDICTIVE!!! lol! :yesway:

Last edited:
Camel said:
Yeah, maintain current size, but trim my love handles! hehehe!

Am doing 30 mins cardio (getting heart rate upto 155). 5 min warm down. then 30-40min workout 3x15 repetitions on CHESTPRESS, LATS, THIGHS of medium weight. Finish with Ab crunches and reverse sit-up's!

(I'm concentrating on main muscle groups now to try n keep metabolism up!)

Stats are 5'9" and 182lbs

I've always been unconcerned about what I eat, so feel it's time to pay attention to diet!

I never really measure level of carbs, protein, fats in what I eat
although i'll always go for healthier option, but how do you know what exactly is healthier... keep gettin told different things!

I eat 3 times daily. 8am, 12pm, 6pm. Is it best to eat smaller portions maybe 5 or 6 times a day rater than 3 times a day?

With current regime, should I increase protein intake, Carb intake, Fat intake? or reduce any of these food groups... that's basically what I need to know. then i'll try n workout what I'm eating and amend where possible!

thanks for the reply :)

p.s. i always vowed i wouldn't get this serious about working out, but since I joined the gym, IT'S BLUMMIN' ADDICTIVE!!! lol! :yesway:

where do I start... first you are not eating ENOUGH or often!!! you need to be getting in a protein source every 2.5-3 hrs max!! this will keep your metabolism going and a flow of amino acids in your blood. sounds as though u defintly need more protein. 1g/lb of bodyweight is the absolutle minimum..id suggest 1.5g/lb however. ALL the foods listed above in this thread are great choices!!

If your trying to keep your metabolism up then Id suggest dropping the high rep work and move into more serious heavy weight training. You needent worry about gaining more mass, as long as your not eating to bulk, just to maintain. muscle is a calorie burning furnace. this is what will keep your metabolism in high drive. and NEVER do cardio before weights.. itll suck the energy out of you and hinder your lifts.

the girl has many great points above!!! #1- must eat more than 3X a day, for the reasons stated by atherjen!! also no cardio before weights!!

Thanks for the replies guys...
Hear what you're saying about eating more regularly! Can defo try to eat between meals. light snacks, right?

The reason I'm doin' training after Cardio is that I only got time for 4 days in the gym, so i was recommended if i'm not goin gym the next day to finish session with medium weight training to main muscle groups after cardio (which I'm do each time I go the Gym). So I'll weight train maybe 2-3 times a week whereas, I'm doin' cardio 4 times weekly!

Should I really be goin' in every day? and alternating weights with Cardio?

Appreciate your help guys?

yes, smaller more frequent meals..not 3 larger ones. 5-6 at least.

you needn't go to the gym eveyday, but I would defintly like to see you seperate the weights and carido sessions if possible. I believe that if you give this a try for a lil while you may just be surprsied at how much your strength goes up lifting. are you lifting heavy until complete failure?

Yeah, I do come to failure now. I've increased the weight gradually, if 3x15 has been quite easy for that session! Go up 5K gradually... and now seem to have ideal weight!

I'll try heavier weights today. Goin' Gym after work and I'll concentrate purely on weights, then I'll go in tomorrow and do JUST cardio.

You'll be pleased to know.... today, I've ate at 7am, 10am, 1pm, havin' Dinner at half 4 - 5. Then, i'll be up for another snack attack at 8ish. A good two hours before sleeps! All good healthy foods, I might add! Even tried Cottage Cheese last night, but not sure what to eat with it?????

Thanks for the help! ...appreciated... Jen is it?:) :)

yes, its Jen!

Im glad to see the improvment made already in your diet! have your cottage cheese with maybe some vanilla and sweetner or peanut butter..a few nuts, cinnamon. be creative!

Also impressed with taking the advice to split your workouts up. let us know how you feel with that!

i reccomend "Explode" 25g carb 25g fat 50g protein, the shit is fucking awesome, it's a little expensive...but i gained about 50 pounds off of it, i was do a little extra, but if you want to go with eating...
Use what is availible...
eggs
tuna
Turkey(thanksgiving save some for long time to use throughout the year)

sonis9 said:
1 cup oatmeal
5 oz lean ground beef
2 scoops N-large
2 tbsp- whipping cream
1 tbsp-flax oil
meal#3-8-10 oz lean meat
1 cup green vegge
1 tbsp olive oil
meal#4- same as #2
meal#5- same as #3
1/2 cup green vegge

thanks for the post gives me a ruff guidline

HardBody said:
i reccomend "Explode" 25g carb 25g fat 50g protein, the shit is fucking awesome, it's a little expensive...but i gained about 50 pounds off of it, i was do a little extra, but if you want to go with eating...
Use what is availible...
eggs
tuna
Turkey(thanksgiving save some for long time to use throughout the year)

Ok I got a question,how long were you on it and how much of that 50lbs was lean muscle tissue :confused:

Oh and where can you find it too :confused:

Last edited:
Steak and potatoes.

Mr. X over at massmonsters has an awesome clean bulk diet that will blow you up but not add alot of unwanted fat like most bodybuilders during the off season.

Cause when its time to cut , with too much extra fat, youre gonna waste a hell of alot of hard earned lbm.

I think its something like 40 P 60 C and 15 F every 3 hours.

Back