Whats the best workout to increase pullup numbers?

frozenfoodman

This is my first post so hello all....
I'm currently in the Marine Corps and am trying to increase my pullups by at least 6 more. I need some advice on the best workouts in order to increase them.
I weigh 160 and am 5'9". Very lean..
Any help would be greatly appreicated.

yes i kind of figured someone would say that....:)
I do pullups all the time, usually 5 sets every 3 days. 2 sets with my 40lb. pack and the other 3 wihtout the pack. I haven't been able to increase my numbers for about a month now..

frozenfoodman said:
yes i kind of figured someone would say that....:)
I do pullups all the time, usually 5 sets every 3 days. 2 sets with my 40lb. pack and the other 3 wihtout the pack. I haven't been able to increase my numbers for about a month now..

Try backing off to only one or two pullup workout sessions per week, give yourself more time to recover.

Do you have access to a weight assisted pull up machine? If you do try doing sets every other day. Start at a weight you can do 10 with, then increase the assist weight and do 10 more and once again. This is the best way, i am 230 and can do 10 pull ups raw for 3 sets. What more can you ask for? If you don't have a partner assist you by grabbing your ankles and helping through the sticking points.

Bigsatan13 said:
Do you have access to a weight assisted pull up machine? If you do try doing sets every other day. Start at a weight you can do 10 with, then increase the assist weight and do 10 more and once again. This is the best way, i am 230 and can do 10 pull ups raw for 3 sets. What more can you ask for? If you don't have a partner assist you by grabbing your ankles and helping through the sticking points.

thanks for the info...I don't have access to a weight assisted pullup machine so I use my pack for added weight and it seemed to help for a while. Right now I'm up to 20 raw pullups for 1 set but I want to get to 25 within the next month.....

This is what i did in school. Grab a bench and put it underneath you and when you need help,then use your feet to asses you. So this way you can help through your sticking point and do more reps then you usually do.

frozenfoodman said:
thanks for the info...I don't have access to a weight assisted pullup machine so I use my pack for added weight and it seemed to help for a while. Right now I'm up to 20 raw pullups for 1 set but I want to get to 25 within the next month.....

That's the opposite of what a weight assisted pullup machine does. The assisted machine helps to push you up.

Beast_19_301 said:
This is what i did in school. Grab a bench and put it underneath you and when you need help,then use your feet to asses you. So this way you can help through your sticking point and do more reps then you usually do.

Thats an excellent idea! I used to do the same thing but with a partner who would grab my feet and assit through the sticking points!

Back