When *YOU* deadlift...

What stance width do you use for DeadLifts???

• Shoulder Width or narrower

Votes: 170 86.3%
  • Sumo Stance.. Im talkin about W-I-D-E!!!

Votes: 27 13.7%

• Total voters
Foggy Doggy said:
I'm 6ft 2 and use a shoulder width stance. I have long arms and I just feel unconfortable in a sumo stance. Besides I don't get my shins scratched as often and those are the bodybuilders "badges of honour" when he/she deadlifts.
That's funny. I have these big nasty scabs on both my shins and these girls were asking me what happened.

dead lifts

stiff, wide, narrow, and I'm 5'4"

^^^^^^^^^ Um that doesnt look the way i thought it would.

OH gutter mind isnt such a horible thing, (NOT) lol

sorry back to topic

BuddyBoy said:
Do you use a shoulder width stance?

Or Sumo stance?

Why so.. and what height are you?

sumo shortens the pull there fore less work is required. in powerlifting about 50% of the folks go sumo. most of the big guys pull conventional except for brian siders is the only one that comes to mind. i pull conventional 6' 295 at time of photo. That photo is about a year old. current stats 6' 310. BTW that is 650 for a dbl, no straps either.

cc020.jpg

Last edited:
I pulled 450 last week, at the end of my 5x5 workout just for fun. A month earlier, I did the same with 405 and barely got it up. I'm growin like a damn weed and I'M LOVIN IT.

i`m 5`8 and use to do regular deads then tried sumo and my strength went up! even on regular deads and i use a shoulder width grip and no straps. STRAPS ARE FOR THE WEAK! do allot of deadlift holds , partials good mornings.DEADLIFTS SHOW THE REAL STRENGTH OF A MAN!!!!

pullinbig said:
very nice pull, congrats hope to be there one day

Thanks man. You compete in PL? What feds? I've yet to do my first "real" one. Had an APF meet planned but I tore my pec. Now I'm looking at IPA world's in PA this summer.

slobberknocker said:
Thanks man. You compete in PL? What feds? I've yet to do my first "real" one. Had an APF meet planned but I tore my pec. Now I'm looking at IPA world's in PA this summer.

yup . havent done a meet in simce the APA 02 nats. injuries and my wifes health have limited me. IPA is a good org. good luck.

I use a stance were my legs are a little wider than shoulder width, so, Sumo :p. When using the conventional stance my lower back seems to bend no matter what. I guess it might be because of my long legs.

b fold the truth said:
Good job man. I'm still not feeling strong enough in the hamstrings to pull mid 6's...much less over 7...yet.

B True

Pulled a raw 640 after squats on Wednesday. I still have a hamstring left too:)

Hopefully I'll break 700 again this year.

B True

shoulder width, neevr tried sumo's and dont think i will. getting good results with shoulder width, and starting to get used to the form. Seeing some good results also , too bad i havent done them in the beginning.

regular stance for me. i'm 5'6" with fairly long legs for my height but i find it easier to pull that way- i have a bad lower back and it seems to put less stress on it for me.

Back