5-5-2003 -> Chest and Triceps

CipherLock

I'm nursing a few injuries but managed to destroy my chest and tri's last night. This was a very satisfying feeling as it has been a couple of months since I have really worked out.

Incline DB Press
50x10
50x10
80x5
90x5
90x5
90x5
90x5
90x7
90x6
90x4 - failed

Machine Bench Press (Stack and Pin)
40x20
60x14
60x14
60x6 – failed

Lying Triceps Cambered Bar Extensions (biceps to forearm, bar stops under my chin)
75x10
75x9
75x7
75x4-6 – failed

Triceps Cable Extensions (2-0-2-0, 45-60 seconds rest)
100x14
100x14
100x14
100x14

Bike for 15 minutes low intensity

Today I feel smoked and DAMN Hungry.

Not really. Look at the reps.

For the incline db the first three sets are a warm up, and the first one for machine press as well. That gives me 10 sets for chest (perhaps too few).

8 Sets for Tri's.

How does your workout compare?

This is an example of what I would do for chest. I increase the weight after every set.
Incline DB
1 x 12
1 x 10
1 x failure

Hammer Strenght BP
1x 10
1x 8
1x failure

Flyes or Weighted Dips
2 x failure

By the end of this I am dead tired. If what you are doing is working for you, DON'T CHANGE. I just know that if I were to workout like that I would be dead half way through the Incline DB's.

I don't think your program is bad, I would just change up the Incline DB's a bit. You are doing too many sets. Start off with 1 warmup sets of 12 reps or so. Then get into your heavy work. After each sets, increase the weight.

Try this:
50 x 12
70 x 10
80 x 8
85 or 90 x failure.

Between my db and machine press I hit 60 reps.

Assuming you hit 8 reps on your sets to failure you too will hit 60 reps.

I am just starting up again (after time off from the gym) and I intend to go into a 5X5 routine. The 90's are just the starting weight and were rather light.

I still don't agree with you that I am doing too many sets, you are just suggesting I do the same amount reps in fewer sets.

Incline DB Press
50x10
50x10
80x5
90x5 Why don't you increase the weight after this set?
90x5
90x5
90x5
90x7
90x6
90x4 - failed

I just think that if you are using 90 for your 4th set, you should be using it for your 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th as well.

I just think that if you are using 90 for your 4th set, you should be using it for your 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th as well.

Did you mean that you DON'T think I should be using it?

My point is that I am making a transition to the 5X5 routine and that I am just finding my starting wieght.

In the process of this I fried out my chest and it feels great.

I like Easto's routine much better. Assuming that he is progressively using much heavier weight.

My Chest/Tri/Shoulder routine looks something like this when I bulk:

Flat Bench:
all warm up:
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 5

Working Sets:
405 x 5
455 x 2

Seated DB french press:
180 x 5
180 x failure

Side Laterals:
45 x 6
60 x failure

Tricep Pressdown:
240 x 10
240 x failure

then I am done.

u r doing 14 sets and 2 excercises. whats the point of training for muscular endurance when bulking. Bulking u should be getting bigger. So low reps would be alot better

u r doing 14 sets and 2 excercises. whats the point of training for muscular endurance when bulking. Bulking u should be getting bigger. So low reps would be alot better

This is my first workout FINDING the weight to start with for a 5X5 routine. What I have just done is found that 90 are way too lite. Next week when I use the 95's I will most likely hit 5 sets of 5 reps and will feel just as tired as I did with the 90's this week.

You guys seem to be focusing on what looks good on paper. I am focusing on what works for me.

Read needsize's 5x5 faq and you will see where I am going.

I like Easto's routine much better. Assuming that he is progressively using much heavier weight.

My Chest/Tri/Shoulder routine looks something like this when I bulk:

I'm not on a true Bulk right now. I am trying to regain some strength and size that I have lost from injuries and time off.

I have used a rep scheme very similiar to what you use and found that it does NOT stimulate growth in me, only strength and I am after both right now.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Back