70's Bodybuilding - What were they using?

THE BOUNCER

Community Veteran, Owner of SuperiorMuscle.com
Posted this thread on my board also but thought I would post it here also to get the thoughts of the different vets on this board.

I was watching Pumping Iron this morning and a thought crossed my mind. "None of these guys have gyno or anything close to it."

With that said, I would like to pose a few questions to anyone that may have an idea.

1. What kind of steroids were they running. (From what I know, test and dbol were big.)

2. What doses were they running them at.

3. What kind of anti-estrogens were they running? (They had to be using some kind of anti-estrogen or estrogen blocker. Test and dbol were popular back then and both drugs have a high tendency to convert into estrogen. Yet none of them had gyno..)

These guys really impress me. They didn't use drugs such as GH, IGF, Slin and so on. They didn't have very good supplements, no creatine and the like. These guys were "meat and potatoes" type guys.

I also wonder that they had no acne, and what did they do about getting shut down real hard? I mean, these days we have tons of forums and info, but where the hell did they learn everything?

imo i think back then it was more word of mouth what worked and what didnt this subject matter has really impressed me for quite some time also. Like mentioned above gh slin igf and the like were not even around then so they trained hard ate well and used aas. There was a thread just like this awhile back if my memory serves me correctly, but none of its first hand knowledge so who knows, but it is very interesting.

mikeyt869 said:
Like mentioned above gh slin igf and the like were not even around then so they trained hard ate well and used aas.

Yeah but you can't compare any BB'ers of those time to the mass monsters of today.

i think its odd that there is a strange code of silence amongst every pro bber around..
retired and current...i hope they dont think that if they dont mention steroids..
everyone will think they never used

some now do admit to their usage and whatnot but they are often not believed like lee priest using small amounts starting just 8 weeks out, im not saying whether i believe it or not but ill say some do admit but the number change as they go around so its really not worth their time to comment on their usage.

mikeyt869 said:
some now do admit to their usage and whatnot but they are often not believed like lee priest using small amounts starting just 8 weeks out .

Arnold used to say the same thing. lol

mikeyt869 said:
some now do admit to their usage and whatnot but they are often not believed like lee priest using small amounts starting just 8 weeks out, im not saying whether i believe it or not but ill say some do admit but the number change as they go around so its really not worth their time to comment on their usage.

oh yeah Lee just uses eight week cycles :sleep:

This question is posed often but who cares, it was probably just a buncha test and dbol

The word I have is that they were primarily taking dbol (often 100-150mg per day for quite long cycles) a dosage considered a high dosage by today's standards, and also Primoblin.

Regarding dbol, they came in 25mg tablets back then, so it wasn't a big deal popping 4 or 5 a day.

But apart from the relatively high dosage of dbol these guys took, it was really a pretty simple routine. Train hard. Really hard, so that you leave the gym with your muscles not just pumped, but rather leaving the muscles aching with lactic acid buildup and exhaustion. Eating well. High protien. And getting lots of rest and sleep in between training, allowing for recovery and muscles growth.

they had doctors giving them juice because it wasnt illegal yet. i forgot who but ive heard it in interviews. the anti e question is a good one thou. how the hell were they so dry with no anti e's

Test at low doses, probably 400-500 a week
D-bol
Deca

these 3 for sure, but at lower doses and shorter cycle lengths than most of you here that gass up.......and 99% of you still look like crap compaired to Arnold, Sergio, Serge, Lou, Franco, Larry, Reg, ect

true story

Patrick_Bateman said:
and 99% of you still look like crap compaired to Arnold, Sergio, Serge, Lou, Franco, Larry, Reg, ect

true story

you mean 99% of us dont have arnolds serios or franco's genetics?

no fucking shit

skarhead1 said:
you mean 99% of us dont have arnolds serios or franco's genetics?

no fucking shit
several due.....1000x more people train now so the odds would say many people do have those genetics.

The big differance is most now gass up before they can even bench 285lbs raw or squat 400lbs raw....so most now are lazy and pathetic.

Patrick_Bateman said:
several due.....1000x more people train now so the odds would say many people do have those genetics.

Totally not true, IMO

Patrick_Bateman said:
these 3 for sure, but at lower doses and shorter cycle lengths than most of you here that gass up.......and 99% of you still look like crap compaired to Arnold, Sergio, Serge, Lou, Franco, Larry, Reg, ect

true story

True story from who??? There are plenty of guy out there that look as "good" as all those guys - but not with the same genetics which give them the perfect look (symmetry, proportion, etc etc).

BTW I have also heard from a "reliable" source that they were running Test/dbol at doses that embarass some of todays dosages of Pro BB'ers.

Patrick_Bateman said:
The big differance is most now gass up before they can even bench 285lbs raw or squat 400lbs raw....so most now are lazy and pathetic.

I agree, anyone who uses gear and isn't a Pro BBer is a loser. :rolleyes: Oh an you know arnie started using at a very young age, younger than aything we recommend today.

Back