Am I resting enough??

anewguy

Movin' On Up!
Hey fellas I'm on a bulking test e cycle. Just started week 5 and just finished my dbol kick start. Running 500 mg of test for the next 5 weeks.

I have been doing chest/triceps and back/biceps eod, with two days of rest per week. So five days in gym total. Example:
Monday: back and biceps
Tuesday: chest and tricep
Wednesday: back and biceps
Thursday: off, 30 min intense cardio
Friday: chest and triceps
Saturday: back and biceps
Sunday: the day of rest!

I'm doing the 5 X 5 workout plan. Each day only takes about an hour in the gym.

Diet is in check, I'm definitely bulking. Just want to be sure I'm resting enough. Also using creatine, and eating shit tons of protein.

no LEGS or SHOULDERS???

what kind of "workout plan" is this bro?

.... and if your goal is to put on size than u should NOT be training any muscle more than ONCE every 5 to 7 days!

u need to be eating lots of everything, not just protein... carbs are very important too. Also don't make the rookie mistake of trying to get most of your protein from shakes, your body needs real food - eggs, meat, milk, cottage cheese, fish etc...

no LEGS or SHOULDERS???

what kind of "workout plan" is this bro?

.... and if your goal is to put on size than u should NOT be training any muscle more than ONCE every 5 to 7 days!

u need to be eating lots of everything, not just protein... carbs are very important too. Also don't make the rookie mistake of trying to get most of your protein from shakes, your body needs real food - eggs, meat, milk, cottage cheese, fish etc...

I believe a guy named ronnie coleman routinely trained bodyparts twice a week for most of his career........srsly though, back and bi's 3x a week is too much, you should be training shoulders, abs and legs as well....

Last edited:
Ok well, I have read studies that showed that 48 hours of rest was enough for each muscle. Obviously, this will differ individually.

I do shoulders like once a week, along with one of my back and biceps workouts. Im not doing legs because I dont want to bulk my legs. I need to be quick, and retain my agility for sports.

More opinions please.

And when I said diet is in check, that's exactly what I meant. I do not mainline protein shakes all day. I only use one. I get mostly complex carbs, with the exception of pwo. And I am staying pretty close to my 40/40/20 plan. And my protein mostly comes from egg whites, chicken, turkey, and cheese, etc.

Ok well, I have read studies that showed that 48 hours of rest was enough for each muscle. Obviously, this will differ individually.

I do shoulders like once a week, along with one of my back and biceps workouts. Im not doing legs because I dont want to bulk my legs. I need to be quick, and retain my agility for sports.

More opinions please.

u don't want to train legs because u "need to be quick and retain agility for sports?" haha come on bro, wake up... the fastest and most agile athletes on earth do squats religiously as part of their routines... training legs WILL make u QUICKER and more AGILE, this is FACT

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for the input. I'll consider rotating in a legs/shoulders day. I have a bad back, so it's tough.

Still looking for opinions on the rest.

I agree with all on legs you can put more weight up the power you have in squats and legs in all exercises. As far as rest on bulking I always have done 2 on 1 off start on Monday on Tuesday on wed off Thurs on Fri on, depending on workouts because bulking for me I am hitting it hard and want plenty of rest in between workouts I may take the whole weekend off minus some light running. This is me only but It works great for me. In bulking to many people overtrain and then your wasting time and money.

If your worried about bulking your legs up then just do fast twitch muscle training. Try low weight squats. Try doing a 3x10 set. Go down in your squat, hold it for a few seconds and then explode up. Its a great way to get that sweat going and you'll also improve your cardio as well. This is how I trained several people this summer...all of them were track runners.

Thanks everyone. I chnanhed up things a bit.
Day 1: chest / triceps
Day 2: back / biceps
Day 3: legs / shoulders
Day 4: rest, cardio because I play soccer
Day 5: chest / triceps
Day 6: back / biceps
Day 7: legs / shoulders

Should I add nananother rest day?

Sorry for spelling... On my phone

lol thanks for the helpful comment! Seriously though, 2 times a week per body part is not overkill is it?

Sometime I see people say to work them once a week, sometimes they say to wait a full day... I know everyone is different, but 3 days in the gym is seriously not enough for me... I really enjoy being there... and getting away from the old lady lol

Thanks everyone. I chnanhed up things a bit.
Day 1: chest / triceps
Day 2: back / biceps
Day 3: legs / shoulders
Day 4: rest, cardio because I play soccer
Day 5: chest / triceps
Day 6: back / biceps
Day 7: legs / shoulders

Should I add nananother rest day?

Sorry for spelling... On my phone

This is way overkill if your goal is to put on mass. Do leg day, chest/tri day, back/bi day, and shoulder day. Period. Four days a week with three days rest. This routine looks horrible to me for mass gain.

This is way overkill if your goal is to put on mass. Do leg day, chest/tri day, back/bi day, and shoulder day. Period. Four days a week with three days rest. This routine looks horrible to me for mass gain.

this looks god, this is what i do, but i do cardio and chest again on fridays

Im not doing legs because I dont want to bulk my legs. I need to be quick, and retain my agility for sports.

More opinions please.

Bro, I'm 33, 200#, train legs religiously 1x week, Squat over 370#, Leg Press somewhere around 700# and can run a mile and a half in under 12minutes without getting winded and could keep that pace up for quite a while. You do the Math.

Imo, you must be from Jersey Shore.

Oh and I have a bad nerve in my lower back right now, but I still train legs. Shut up and squat.

Fuck you dude I have a bruised kidney. I cant hardly squat without weight right now.

So sick of people being a badass online. If you can work through the pain, good for you. But I can barely wipe my own ass right now.
I'm lucky if I can struggle through leg presses.

Back