Any Personal Trainers on Here?

DaHurt

Motivated
Hi guys & gals,

I am looking to get certified very soon and was wondering if any of you are CPTs? If so, which cert's do you have? And if you're more of a bodybuilder/powerlifter type, how have your clients reacted? Do you think it helps or hurts to be "buff" as a personal trainer?

I only ask because my guess is that many clients are looking to 'just lose some fat and tone up' and may be dissuaded by a beefy bodybuilder or powerlifter - OR they may interpret your physique as meaning you know how to get results.

Just interested, because I have aspirations to compete as a BBer, and work as a personal trainer/nutritionist eventually.

Cheers!
D

I am studying currently to be an ACE certified personal trainer. My girl is a trainer as well. I have always held back from being a trainer in the past because I didnt think I was big or strong enough. Now I feel that I am. That is all an ego thing though. I think it certainly helps to be strong and muscular. It shows that you know what your doing.

Yeah I am tending to lean towards that too - how is ACE going? I was thinking ACSM, NASM, or ACE. I was really only concerned because all the trainers in my gym are smaller (and not in great shape, which is kind of funny) - and sometimes I see them giving me looks - like something is wrong with my training, probably just me being paranoid. Anyways, I must be doing something right - a guy came up to me today and asked if I could work with him on weekends, I'm pretty stoked about that!

Did you get the ACE Premier Study Bundle? If so, has that been pretty much everything you've needed for studying?

Yeah bro I think its funny when male trainers don't even look muscular at all. I did get the ACE bundle that you speak of. It has everything you need in it. Its going well, i'm just struggling with procrastinating on it.

Sweet - it looks like a pretty good bundle. Kind of leaning toward ACE now after perusing their website for a while.

Yeah I don't get it - I wouldn't want to be trained by someone who doesn't look like they know how to train themselves...

Sweet - it looks like a pretty good bundle. Kind of leaning toward ACE now after perusing their website for a while.

Yeah I don't get it - I wouldn't want to be trained by someone who doesn't look like they know how to train themselves...

so if arnold said he wanted to train you right now would u say no??

obviously not... some of the best martial arts black belt instructors are out of shape looking...

regardless i find it funny when these damn trainers look like they havn't lifted in a day... i get where u guys are coming from

obviously not... some of the best martial arts black belt instructors are out of shape looking...

regardless i find it funny when these damn trainers look like they havn't lifted in a day... i get where u guys are coming from

yeah i agree some of the baddest dude look outta shape but if it were me in a gym and i didnt know anything about the trainers id go for the biggest/ripped dude cuz i would think well he obviously knows what he is doin to get that body so lets go with him. or you can do the next best thing and find the hottest female trainer there and have here work out with u ;)

At my community gyms, there're unhealthy blobs that talk smack and say stuff like deep squatting is wrong. So... I might definitely look for a huge/ripped personal trainer unless that out-of-shape dude happens to be reknowned.

It's not about how you look or what you know; it's how much of a BS salesman you can be, which is part of the reason I hate training in commercial gyms.

It's not about how you look or what you know; it's how much of a BS salesman you can be, which is part of the reason I hate training in commercial gyms.

This is definitely something that concerns me, too. Is it really that bad? I've heard that it can be in commercial gyms. Are you are a trainer?

I was thinking to get started though, I'd probably have to work in a commercial gym for a bit.

Great point, 3J! I guess I was thinking more about younger dudes my age that are more or less starting out. I suppose one way to look at it is 'use your body as a tool at least until you establish a reputation'.

yeah i agree some of the baddest dude look outta shape but if it were me in a gym and i didnt know anything about the trainers id go for the biggest/ripped dude cuz i would think well he obviously knows what he is doin to get that body so lets go with him. or you can do the next best thing and find the hottest female trainer there and have here work out with u ;)

Very true, same here. I may have to go with the hot female trainer though, there is this one in my gym that competes in fitness..ahhh....

At my community gyms, there're unhealthy blobs that talk smack and say stuff like deep squatting is wrong. So... I might definitely look for a huge/ripped personal trainer unless that out-of-shape dude happens to be reknowned.

Yeah I think it's a totally different situation if the trainer is well-renowned. Do they say WHY deep squatting is wrong??

Good stuff guys thanks for all the responses!

This is definitely something that concerns me, too. Is it really that bad? I've heard that it can be in commercial gyms. Are you are a trainer?

I was thinking to get started though, I'd probably have to work in a commercial gym for a bit.

I trained at a several commercial gyms over the past 6 years or so and you get the same damn client over and over and over....

Whoops - just saw your signature. You're definitely a trainer haha.

The only reason I have them is that I need to have them. They really don't teach you a damn thing, especially the CSCS. The NSCA only promotes Western periodization, which is an awful and piece of shit system.

Conjugate and undulating periodization are far superior.

The only reason I have them is that I need to have them. They really don't teach you a damn thing, especially the CSCS. The NSCA only promotes Western periodization, which is an awful and piece of shit system.

Conjugate and undulating periodization are far superior.

Yeah, conjugate always made much more sense to me than Western periodization - but I really still have a lot to learn! I'm looking forward to taking the time to study once I finish grad school.

Would you recommend a specific certification over any others?

It doesn't really matter which one you get as far as actual usefulness goes. However, most of the time, ACSM, NSCA, and NASM are preferred by employers.

It doesn't really matter which one you get as far as actual usefulness goes. However, most of the time, ACSM, NSCA, and NASM are preferred by employers.

Yeah that is pretty much what I had been reading - it is basically just a piece of paper, and the real expertise is gained from experience.

Do you mainly target a specific demographic (e.g. bodybuilders, the eldery, general pop, etc)? And do you mostly work from a gym or clients' homes, or a combination?

Sorry for all of the questions - just trying to learn all that I can!

Dahurt, I guess the first question you have to ask yourself is why do you want to become a trainer? Honestly. Is it for the money? The title & piece of paper? The girls (Can't even tell you how many chicks have this fantasy). Not having to wear a tie every day? Do you want to turn this into a career? Etc.?
I trained for a little over twenty years. I liked the money, but hated the lifestyle, so I finally got out. My first cert was Nautilus (lol!), I then got NFPT, APEX, ACSM, NASM (during Tom Purvis & post Tom Purvis), eventually got my PES & CES through them too.
I cant say I'm too familiar with the ACE certification myself. I felt The ACSM was good for the cardio rehab and medication backgrounds and the NASM was great for the hands on stuff. Especially nowadays that pretty much every prospect you meet with ANY REAL money is gonna have some type of injury or impairment.
Assuming that you're contemplating doing this for the money, that also means you're gonna have to look like the product your prospects want to buy. A good point was brought up about how trainers look. The trainers that don't look the part never last, couple of years at best. The truth also is people buying training do not want to be BB's. They just want to lose some fat and build muscle, ie. look toned. You HAVE TO look the part. Are you ready to diet everyday now? (No client wants to hear your taking this month off to get fat, right?)
Oooops! I'm going to write a book here! I guess my point is why do you want to do this? I personally really found it rewarding in many, many ways and wouldn't trade my time doing it for anything. But, if you're just doing it for extra weekend spending money, don't waste the cash. Almost all the commercial gyms will put you on probationary status till you get a cert and that will give you the chance decide if this is something you want to do.

Last edited:
Dahurt, I guess the first question you have to ask yourself is why do you want to become a trainer? Honestly. Is it for the money? The title & piece of paper? The girls (Can't even tell you how many chicks have this fantasy). Not having to wear a tie every day? Do you want to turn this into a career? Etc.?
I trained for a little over twenty years. I liked the money, but hated the lifestyle, so I finally got out. My first cert was Nautilus (lol!), I then got NFPT, APEX, ACSM, NASM (during Tom Purvis & post Tom Purvis), eventually got my PES & CES through them too.
I cant say I'm too familiar with the ACE certification myself. I felt The ACSM was good for the cardio rehab and medication backgrounds and the NASM was great for the hands on stuff. Especially nowadays that pretty much every prospect you meet with ANY REAL money is gonna have some type of injury or impairment.
Assuming that you're contemplating doing this for the money, that also means you're gonna have to look like the product your prospects want to buy. A good point was brought up about how trainers look. The trainers that don't look the part never last, couple of years at best. The truth also is people buying training do not want to be BB's. They just want to lose some fat and build muscle, ie. look toned. You HAVE TO look the part. Are you ready to diet everyday now? (No client wants to hear your taking this month off to get fat, right?)
Oooops! I'm going to write a book here! I guess my point is why do you want to do this? I personally really found it rewarding in many, many ways and wouldn't trade my time doing it for anything. But, if you're just doing it for extra weekend spending money, don't waste the cash. Almost all the commercial gyms will put you on probationary status till you get a cert and that will give you the chance decide if this is something you want to do.

Jack, thank you for the great insight - and welcome to Ology.

A little on me:

My educational background is in science - I did BS degrees in biochemistry and physiology. I'm 24 y/o. Right now I'm working towards a PhD in physiology at a prestigious school (my dept was ranked #1 in the world for my area), AND I have a very competitive national fellowship (full paid) from the National Science Foundation, AND I've already been published. Big effing deal, right? lol

YET I have realized in the last year that I don't want to spend my life in a laboratory and I'd rather pursue a profession that allows me to be active and work directly towards helping people. Enter the field of personal training and/or nutritional advising. It kind of hit me like a ton of bricks and was a total "duh" moment. I have always been passionate about my own personal health, and want to help people. Further, the scientific approach to evaluating nutrition and training has great appeal to me for obvious reasons.

So I've decided to leave the PhD program with an M.S. in physiology instead - which I will complete this spring. In the meantime I want to start studying for a PT certification so I can hit the ground running after my MS completion.

I've given this tons (and tons) of thought and I truly think the lifestyle is for me (hell I spend almost as much time in the gym as some of my local trainers anyways). And 'looking the part' shouldn't be too much of a problem, I'm getting there :D

Sorry for the super long post - just wanted you guys to know I'm in this for (what I think are) the right reasons. Money is nice, but I really just want happiness :D

Back