Best substitute for squats???

athleticmale100

I'm an old-timer (in sorts) currently 37 years old, lifting off and on since i was 13.

Too many injuries to do what i want and never accepting my doctors advice to take up golf and accept the evolutionary support that the human body, supported by evolution, is not cut out for squats, heavy weight training, etc.

Nonetheless, i wanna take recommendations for alternates to squats.

I have a fractured 5th lumbar, and buldging l4 and l5.... Will need it fused soon but putting it off.

The days of squatting 500+ like during my college football days are far over and i'm starting to get top heavy, which pisses me off tremendously because I always hated those lollipop looking retards who only work their upper body... now i'm starting to look like one.

The problem is i'm having trouble building "size on the thighs" as a result of no heavy squats.

Hip sled doesn't work either, too much pressure on the spine...

I'm thinking of maybe a heavy step-up or step down or something similar...

I rack out leg ext and leg curls x's 15 and that's not doing to much for me.

I understand what your going through. I've tried the sitting leg press machine, it made my back worse, really screwed my back up. I cannot do regular squats due to spine problems and front squats i can only do to 90 degree "parallel" angle due to my total hip replacement.

My leg day routine:

1. Leg extensions to pre exhaust quads.
2. Dumbbells Bulgarian split squats -"rear leg raised split squats" or Split squats
3. Sitting leg curls 5x5 "heavy"
4. Dumbbell Lunges
5. Standing leg curls
6. what ever you do for calf's.

You can also try goblet squats.

Hopefully this helps you.

With a back injury i usually put clients on the lying leg press, make sure youre stregthening your core too as a weak core makes you injury prone to almost anything. Dont use a wasit belt. On lying leg press keep feet together or wide apart with toes pointed in helps work quads more. Goodluck

HIP SQUATS! awesome exercise for quad strength and leg size. burn out on these at the end of your leg workouts. keep it up with the leg press, straight leg deads for your hams. nothing takes the place of squats though. does your injury prevent you from squatting lighter weights at a higher volume? also have you tried front squats? hope this helps

to be honest with you, from the research that i have done and many doctors and physical therapists i have talked to , the concensus tends to be that squats are a WAY better choice for the human body than leg extentions or squat substitutes. that is not to say that leg presses are not a kick ass exercise. considering you have a fractured 5th lumbar and buldging l4 and l5 leg press is the way to go (do talk this over with your Dr). just make sure you exhale while pressing to ease the pressure in your torso. if u wanna avoid injury to your knees stay off the leg extentions. that is actually an unnatural movement for your knees. if u must do them, keep them light as a pre exaust

Have you tried the Hack Squat machine or tried and true Lunges? Bulgarian squats may help out also and might not aggravate your spine since it will obviously be lighter.

20 rep squats it is!!

Just enough weight to make my heart explode(225x's 4 sets of 20), but not compress the spine. Getting a very high intensity workout and i when i'm done.... i walk across the gym like george burns.. VERY NICE...

just do squats. dont be an idiot superman with 500 pounds, with a weight of 225 that puts minimal stress on your body/joints just go deep and good form and you should be fine. use 135/185 if u need to its all about being safe.

squat are great but most just regurgitate the statement "squats are the mass builders and without it your legs will shrink". Dorian yates always said he wasn't able to do shit with his quad development before he stopped squatting and did leg press.

look up mountain dog training. Did that today, love the feeling of not being able to walk for a good 10 minutes

o and what i dont see people post much which fucking blows the crap out of your quads is supersets of leg press or squats and then sissy squats.

Back