Building Great Abs

TheStromba

I wanna get some feedback bros.

I saw a guy at the gym today that is there all the time. He was training abs and lifted his shirt to check them out. His abs were pretty awesome. I don't usually talk to anyone at the gym but I had to ask this guy how he got those abs.

For the past 4 months he has trained abs 45 minutes a day 6 days a week and he does 45 minutes of cardio.

I asked how he trains the rest of his body and he said that he has lightened up on the rest of his training to work on abs.

Is THIS the way to get great abs ?

Abs have always been my weak point and I am willing to not have my upper body move forward for a few months if this is a proven way to do it.

Hmm....thats certainly and interesting concept as it seems to contradict most of what is being said around the boards, etc. Did you ask if he does weighted and resistive training? or just using his body weight (ie. crunches, leg lifts, etc.) I would hope he doesnt do weighted abs 6 days a week, but who knows with some of the freaks out there. I see abs like any other body part, I think abs are one of my greatest features and I do 1 session a wee kof weighted abs and 1 session of light crunches, etc. using my own bodyweight, I could not imagine doing 6 days of resisted abs....

great abs come from a very good diet and decrease body fat w/ cardio . It depends what u want. Working abs with resitance would give you that bulky look and then working abs in the high rep range will give you the slik look.

IMO working abs that long is way too long. Abs is like any other bodypart u need at least 48 hours of rest before you work them.

He said that he uses resistance now for most of the excercises because they have gotten so strong.

Beast, I always treated abs like any other bodypart as well. His results were undeinable though.

I am tempted to try it.

In my opion that is way too much ab work. But thats just me. Next time ask him what kind of supplements he is taking b/c i have heard taking AS can make your muscles heal faster then none users.

hmmm...that is an awful lot of abdominal work. I only train mine three to four times maximum a week and my abs are tight all the time.
For me it's all diet. If I eat like shit, my abs won't be as sharp.
Perhaps this works for him, but I myself think it's far too much.

I have to agree fyre everyday is gotta be too much.

I have only been doing them twice a week. I know diet is the key, but I still think I could use alot more developement there.

I'm gonna up it to 4x a week at least thru the summer and see what happens.

TheStromba said:
I have to agree fyre everyday is gotta be too much.

I have only been doing them twice a week. I know diet is the key, but I still think I could use alot more developement there.

I'm gonna up it to 4x a week at least thru the summer and see what happens.

Abs should be worked like every other muscle...2 -3 times a week would be suffice!
Best exercise for the stuborned lower abs are the incline weighted abs.
Also leg raises with a weight attached to your ankle is a good one.

I hate too brake it too you but u can't actually isolate one section of your abs it is one sheet of muscle.

Beast_19_301 said:
I hate too brake it too you but u can't actually isolate one section of your abs it is one sheet of muscle.

Hmm......then maybe you should check up on some abdominal anatomy.

Beast_19_301 said:
I went too school, yes it does come in different sections if your referring too the obliques........But thats like saying you can isolate your uppper chest.

I know it is stupid i still believe u can isolate it but everyone says u can't.

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/RectusAbdominis.html
This should help you.

No help needed here brother, I also went to school..... you're abs are more than a 'sheet of muscle'

Stromba,
I've done 4 to 5 times a week on abs; I now do twice a week and they're better than they've ever been. Of course diet's important, but in terms of the workout, I'm convinced it's a combination of weighted and non-weighted, and pristine, flawless form. When I think of all the time I've wasted flailing about using high reps and poor form...
Hanging, twisting leg raises have done as much as anything to define my lower abs and the interface between lower rectus and the obliques as they come across toward the groin. Increased vascularity, too. Flexiball, rope pull-down crunches, reverse crunches on the end of a flat bench with KNEES TOGETHER (super important), and one of the ab machines for resistance. I do a different regimen on each of the 2 days I do 'em each week.
Now, nobody will like to hear this, but I've also gotten back into my Hatha Yoga practice at least 3 times a week. Incredibly demanding and incredibly good for the torso. You do this correctly and it'll kick your ass! Downward Facing Dog and the Warrior Pose will have the biggest BB whimpering like a schoolgirl!!
Good to hear from you, Stromba.

Stromba,

Noticed a guy at the gym, same story, great abs. I asked him and found he used to teach a :30 min ab class, 4 days a week. He does a quick :30 min class, each exercise is with bodyweight and no more then 10 seconds of rest between sets.

Of course diet goes with it. Personally, 45 min's of abs 2x's a week I can deal with, but 6 days! I don't think so. I do believe cardio is the other factor and do 40 min every other day.

Back