can someone explain the reasoning behind this??

ILB50

My strength coach wich has been with very big name athletes NFL teams etc. very reputable. Has our football team everyday doing push up for about 5 min straight Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri along with other lifts this is just at the end of the workout and we also do abs for about 10min "the same thing" every day just like the push up's whats the reasoning behind this??? we also do other typical lifts for football we do tri's everyday in a direct and indrect way (direct) tri pressdown (indirect) push press etc. this goes for most other body parts as well WTF???

Strength & Agility training for sports is not the same as bodybuilding or powerlifting. I'm sure there is a reason behind this. I played hockey into my early twenties and quite a bit of our training went against most of the bodybuilding/powerlifting norms. Just ask him....of course, he'll give you a reason why.

Gumbo

a lot of nfl strength coaches have suck. not saying this guy does.

but i personally know current NFL players who have said that they HATE their strength programs, and only show up when they are required to, otherwise they train on their own or with a trainer they like.

ILB50 said:
My strength coach wich has been with very big name athletes NFL teams etc. very reputable. Has our football team everyday doing push up for about 5 min straight Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri along with other lifts this is just at the end of the workout and we also do abs for about 10min "the same thing" every day just like the push up's whats the reasoning behind this??? we also do other typical lifts for football we do tri's everyday in a direct and indrect way (direct) tri pressdown (indirect) push press etc. this goes for most other body parts as well WTF???

I might be way off but I think it what he's doing falls under some kind of principle about your body adapting to a certain exercise and not getting DOMS from doing it. Sort of like lifting the same rep range every week provides gains initially and then after a few weeks start to flatten out, your body adapts. Then after you adjust the weight/reps you see the gains come and the DOMS increases as you've changed it up. I imagine he's trying to get your body used to doing those exercises for durations of time so come game time you've got endurance with those muscles and they don't fatigue/get so sore, or maybe even just for your body to hold up better to the frequent practices where you have where you use those same muscles every time. dunno.

i have noticed that the ab work we do is no longer hard but my freakin shoulders are killing me and it's affecting other lifts power clean/ bench etc. i just do not recover from this BS and yes im eating right 6-7 day taking in 350+ protien its just to much to recover from without lowering weights in other lifts like bench??? plus we run after workouts wich make our workouts about 2hrs long WTF???

I could see how this would work for strength, but I dont think there is enough recovery time either way, assuming they're doing a lot of reps and sets as most coaches preach.

Thing is, these are coaches and are not specialized trainers. A coach of mine told me to eat a banana after a workout to get big and strong lol

Back