Excess iron affects on hematocrit

etma

How much does iron intake affect the rise in hct on trt? Before starting T I was on Clomid therapy and on my yearly physical my hct was 48. I by chance donated blood and a week later I had bloods taken by my new trt doc which showed hct at 43. I started t at 100mg wk with 250 iux2 of hcg with arimidex. Four weeks later my hct was back to 50. I start feeling effect of high hct about every four weeks. I have been doing donations every six weeks between two banks. I just recently found my well water had a pretty high iron content. Could that excess iron intake have contributed to a faster rise in hct? I just had bloods done the other day for my appt next week so I will see where I am now. I donated 6 weeks ago but feel like I need to again. I am also switching to 2x50mg per wk injections to see if the initial spike was contributing to the fast raise in hct. My trough five days after injecting was still mid 800s. I'm really hoping that the iron was contributing the fast raise in hct. It is causing me anxiety worrying where my hct is and I really don't want to stress over it because I never had issues on Clomid but switched to t as i felt it was better long term.

Well water containing iron comes up in discussions on hemochromatosis, where iron intake has to be carefully limited. Patients are sometimes advised to drink bottled water instead.

I find it surprising that your hct is going up that fast at your low dose. How old are you?

Be aware that frequent whole blood donations can bring their own problems, exhausting your body of its iron stores. This will probably eventually slow down the climb in hct, but can also cause other health problems.

Do you know if platelet apheresis is an option for you?

No hemochromatosis but my iron has been in the upper range and my ferritin was always up there. I'm wondering now if the water was contributing to that. I am concerned about my number raising that fast as well because like you said donating often comes with its own problems. I don't want to have to balance iron and hct. I'm debating now if going back to clomid is a better option. I am thinking though that since my trough 5 days after shot is still in the 800s that I am getting a high peak which may be contributing to the fast rise in hct.

No hemochromatosis but my iron has been in the upper range and my ferritin was always up there. I'm wondering now if the water was contributing to that. I am concerned about my number raising that fast as well because like you said donating often comes with its own problems. I don't want to have to balance iron and hct. I'm debating now if going back to clomid is a better option. I am thinking though that since my trough 5 days after shot is still in the 800s that I am getting a high peak which may be contributing to the fast rise in hct.

Right, I just mentioned hemochromatosis because I've seen iron-rich well water come up in that context.

If your ferritin is high you can, of course, donate away. Lower ferritin may itself slow the rise in hct, up to the point that it becomes a problem.

Certainly you might consider reducing your dose a little.

Yeah I was thinking maybe going to 80mg week. I guess I'll see where I'm at for my appt next week. I just switched to 2x50 per week. I'll get bloods in another four weeks to see if it helps.

Just want to make sure you're not on any supplements or anything that have a bunch of iron in them. HCT readings can bounce up and down a fair amount even measured day to day. What are your symptoms of high HCT?

Back