Felt a pop in my lower back

BigRonWannabee

I was doing my last warmup set of deads...495x2. On the second rep, my back rounded a little and I then felt a sudden pop right in my lower back. It literally felt like something exploded in my back. I finished the rep like a retard (i felt the pop about 6 inches through the ascent of my rep). Now Im in pretty bad pain. Any thoughts on what I may have done? Should I see a doctor?

i had the same thing happen to me. i took it easy for a couple of weeks and it went away.

but if you got insurance it never hurts to see a doc.

Yea Im wondering how common this is. This was light weight (or so I thought) so Im assuming its happened to other guys.

The thing that had me worried is that my buddy said thats exactly what happened to him, and he needs surgery on his back. He cant squat or dead, bb row...anything. I was freakin out.

Chime in if this has ever happened to you.

pullinbig said:
i had the same thing happen to me. i took it easy for a couple of weeks and it went away.

but if you got insurance it never hurts to see a doc.
those are pretty much your options..

i tweaked my low back a few weeks ago squatting..the only thing that helped was rest/heat pad/ stretching

sounds to me like a disc
if you are not getting any referred pain, it probably wasn't to serious ( not impinging on a nerve)
If it was me I would go see a doc or a physio

inked1 said:
sounds to me like a disc
if you are not getting any referred pain, it probably wasn't to serious ( not impinging on a nerve)
If it was me I would go see a doc or a physio

Yeah, that.

BTW, Inked, haven't seen you around in a while. How-do?

Where is the pain? Is it just in your back or your ass and leg a bit?
I'd rest it for a couple days and if the pain doesn't go away see a doc or chiropractor.

That happened to me a couple of weeks back. I went to see a chiropractor and he did some shit and the pain went away, but 3 weeks later the pain started in the other side, which is kind of ironic considering he wanted to see em in 3 weeks. I would just let it heal n it's own, because those dudes are all crooks.

Chips said:
That happened to me a couple of weeks back. I went to see a chiropractor and he did some shit and the pain went away, but 3 weeks later the pain started in the other side, which is kind of ironic considering he wanted to see em in 3 weeks. I would just let it heal n it's own, because those dudes are all crooks.

so you saying chiros are crocks? :rolleyes:

In my opinion yes. A friend of mine has back spasms and he was seeing a Chiro for a couple of years and while seeing the chiro the pain kept coming back. All of a sudden when he says fuck it and stops seeing the dude, because he can't afford it. His back gets better. If they could fix everyone they would be out a job!

DougoeFre5h said:
I was doing my last warmup set of deads...495x2. On the second rep, my back rounded a little and I then felt a sudden pop right in my lower back. It literally felt like something exploded in my back. I finished the rep like a retard (i felt the pop about 6 inches through the ascent of my rep). Now Im in pretty bad pain. Any thoughts on what I may have done? Should I see a doctor?

Dougoe,

Same exact thing happened to me, I was warming up with 245 deads, and like an idiot, on the negative part, i was controlling it down and i guess my back was rounded. Only thing is though, I didn't hear a pop, but my back gave out, and i jsut drop the weight on the bar supports that the racks have. Again, like you I tried to do another one, got it, but that was the end of the workout. Anyways, it's been like 1.5 months since i went to the gym and the day after the incident i couldn't walk. I've been to the chiro and also an got an mri. I do have a herniated disc, but doctor thinks, from the way i bend and move now that it's not from teh dead lifts.. people usualy have herniated discs anddon't know, and don't feel any pain. Anyways, give it like 2-3 weeks.. you should feel close to 100%. If not, and if you feel tingling or numbness down your legs, you may have a herniated disc, and there are non-medical procedures you can follow. good luck.. i can't wait til next week to go into the gym .. 1.5 months off is a long time ..

Chips said:
In my opinion yes. A friend of mine has back spasms and he was seeing a Chiro for a couple of years and while seeing the chiro the pain kept coming back. All of a sudden when he says fuck it and stops seeing the dude, because he can't afford it. His back gets better. If they could fix everyone they would be out a job!

i have had great results with both chiros i have used.

as far as fixing everyone and they would be out of a job......what about car mechanics? :D

people continuously get injured and new babys are born everyday.

pullinbig said:
i have had great results with both chiros i have used.

as far as fixing everyone and they would be out of a job......what about car mechanics? :D

people continuously get injured and new babys are born everyday.

exactly...i think a chiro will work for some and others it wont..but you wont know until you go and try one out..

same way some meds work for some people and others it makes things worse..if it doesnt help you then dont go anymore..others get results

chiros are like any other occupation, you get great ones and you get fucked ones
but IMO a physio is the way to go:p

exactly...i think a chiro will work for some and others it wont..but you wont know until you go and try one out..

I agree. But they didn't work for me. Maybe it's the dam chrios in Canada that are bad!

Well my back isnt 100% but its much better. No pain or numbness down my legs. No real worries at this point other than future workouts. Ill be thinking about this everytime I pick something up.

Thanks for the good advice, I might visit the doc anyways and tell him whats up. If I have a herniated disk I want to know about it.

Back