Gloves, Chalk, Wriststraps

Trig1063

I am starting to get into some heavy weight in my deadlifts and when I where gloves it seems I loose my grip because of them. A couple guys in my gum suggested using chalk. Anybody have an opinion on this.

Also, I am looking to get some wrist straps. Are they worth it.

Thanks

Chalk is good to keep your hands dry,better grip.When you get into pulling some serious weight your grip will fail,this is where straps come into play.

Trig1063 said:
I am starting to get into some heavy weight in my deadlifts and when I where gloves it seems I loose my grip because of them. A couple guys in my gum suggested using chalk. Anybody have an opinion on this.

Also, I am looking to get some wrist straps. Are they worth it.

Thanks
chalk helps a lot , straps are useful for extremely heavy lockouts and maybe your last dl set when your grip fails but dont use them constantly they become a crutch and your grip/forearm strength will never develop properly

I'd say go with the straps.

Deadlifts aren't a forearm exercise.I wouldn't say I have a weak grip but I couldn't work my last 2 or 3 sets on deads without them and that means my back wouldn't be worked hard enough.

i would never use straps.
i always thought i had a weak grip, until i used chalk. use it, it makes a world of difference.
for me , deadlifts are a "forearm exercise too"

i used to use straps, now i use chalk. it doesnt affect how much weight i can move. part of the deadlift is being able to hold onto the bar.

Chalk does help. Straps help more. In my opinion whether or not to use straps depends on your goals. If you are a powerlifter, you don't want to use them because obviously you can't lift a weight if you can't hold it. However, if you are not a powerlifter, not using straps could limit the amount you can do and how many reps you can get so IMO using straps when it gets to the point that your grip is failing is OK.

I use wrist straps. I am working forearms seperately but there is no way I could hold onto the weight I'm lifting without them. My workout would be mediocre at best without them. Why wait for my grip to stronger in order to adequately work my back?

rubberduckyo said:
I use wrist straps. I am working forearms seperately but there is no way I could hold onto the weight I'm lifting without them. My workout would be mediocre at best without them. Why wait for my grip to stronger in order to adequately work my back?
dont wait for your grip to catch up just dont use the straps until your grip fails

Back