high triglycerides and cholestreol, what to take to lower them?

I've used nolvadex and niacin for maintenance.

I have used garlic extensively too, but I am not sure of its effectiveness in changing your cholesterol.

for your cholesterol you can take one of the statins such as lipitor, mevacor, pravachol, zocor, lescol. these are the recommended drugs though the bad side effects include some potentially very serious muscle breakdown/damage problems. they also often lower triglycerides and raise hdl (the 'good cholesterol').

zetia is part of a different class of cholesterol lowering drug and has few side effects.

lopid is part of a triglyceride lowering drug class and also has some potential side effects which includes muscle problems (not usually as serious as the statins though) and maybe gall bladder/gallstone problems.

niacin (vitamin b3) can also lower cholesterol and triglycerides but can cause flushing/red skin and itching and stomach/gi problems. i would suggest taking several lower dosages throughout the day if you take this. the side effects may decrease with time but can be pretty bothersome.

i would not recommend questran, colestid, welchol which are part of another class of cholesterol lowering drugs unless you know specifically that ldl-c is the cause of your high cholesterol.

i would recommend seeing a doctor about this so you can get the proper blood tests before and after taking the medication. they can also do a better job of describing side effects and their symptoms and why one drug might be better for you than another. the docs will not test for anabolics (unless you tell them you want a testosterone level blood test), if that is a potential concern of yours.

sorry, but i forgot to add that there is no evidence at all that garlic or other over the counter supplements (other than niacin) lower triglycerides or cholesterol. you would essentially be throwing your money away to buy that stuff. i would suggest altering your diet over buying any of those supplements. your diet would have a far greater effect on your levels and would be much cheaper.

By anychance are you on Accutane? Thats what happened to me when I was on it. If your taking it to clear up some acne STOP NOW, it can have bad perm effects on you. My doc had to stop my therapy of it.

Eating oatmeal will help reduce overall chol.

I have also read somewhere that HGH improves chol. by raising HDL levels.

i was actually asking for my father. his triglycerides was something stupid like 400. My levels are fine. my cholesterol and triglycerides were actually a bit lower than th target range.

TheCore4, i was on accutane a while ago. Magnificent stuff. For anyone who has systic acne, this stuff is the way to go. Once you learn how to deal with the sides, it aint no thing. I did a test\fina cycle while i was on it as well, and had no problems. They did my blood work 2 or 3 times through out, and no problems there either.

So after reading this thread, it seems its OK to use tricor & zocor with AAS. I take both.
With these meds, diet & training, all levels are perfect!!!!. Also, get my liver fucntions tested regularly & are prefect as well.
Does anyone think there could be issues using oral Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) with either Tricor or Zocor

jpflex66 said:
fish oil,red yeast rice is very good

I did a test on myself. I got a blood test done. FOr 6 weeks I took fish oil and Red yeast rice at rec dose/1200mgED respectively. I did not change eating or diet and my total cholesterol came down 20 points, tryglycerides came down 12 points and LDL came down 20 points. HDL stayed the same.

DocJ said:
There's a boatload of evidence that Fish Oil lowers trigylcerides.
Great...well I have fish oil & flax caps already, maybe just need to up the dosage some while on.

Back