HIIT Cardio, The best Cardio for weight loss ?

Would P90x qualify as HIIT? My wife is doing it again. She and i did it in the past and she got toned and lost about 30 lbs! I lost too much weight so I hit the weights instead.

She is back on it again along with me cooking her food so her diet is in check for the most part. Whats your advise for her losing weight, Mrs P? Just trying to figure out a plan for the Mrs. ya know? She will be taking need2slin as well and I have her on GHRP-2 & CJC. Does this sound good to you?

Hi Skitzz,
I'm not too familiar with P90X, I know is an intense full body workout, but as far as I know is not HIIT training.

GHRP-2 & CJC I'm not too informed on how well they work for women.

I think the main point for your wife is diet, she really needs to keep track of what she's eating, you can go to the diet forum & if you know her BF, you can calculate her BMR & then her TDEE (total daily calorie need)
So she can know how many caloris she should be eating daily.

Diet is key here, if diet is off, she won't benefit from her training.

As far as her training, if she's getting good results from P90X, then she should continue, I've read many don't do this program for long since is quite intense.
If not, she can just do HIIT(or reg cardio) twice a week & incorporate strenght training.
Strenght training has so many benefits, and it will really help her build lean muscle mass,
she's not going to get bulky, it will increase her metabolic rate, so she will loose weight.

Have her join :)

Best of luck to her !

HIT is really good, however it's not useful after a workout. It's better to do that on separate days. And after a workout low-intensity cardio is better. At least for me.
Also if I do HIT before a workout, I'm quite exhausted, so workout is not as good as it could be..

:agreed: I never do it after a workout, I wouldn't have the energy needed...lol
I do it before a workout, I'm doing it twice a week.

I always do my cardio either in the morning or after a workout. I remember reading somewhere that doing cardio takes away the glycogen needed for a workout. Is this correct P? I am always beat after a workout but I know the cardio has to be done

Thanks, MrsP!
We have a 20 month terror runnin around and her braxton hicks? is getting painful. Is it cardio running after the two of them? ha!

You and MrP must be scheduling maniacs with three around.....

Thanks, MrsP!
We have a 20 month terror runnin around and her braxton hicks? is getting painful. Is it cardio running after the two of them? ha!

You and MrP must be scheduling maniacs with three around.....

lol !!

O.M.G !! the terrible two's, nothing like it,
We have a 9, 7, and 3 year old (girls)
And let's say I do more cardio running after my 3 year old than I do with my cardio routine...lol (she's 3 going on 18, she really thinks she's a grown up)lol

Life is hectic with kids, but I wouldn't have it any other way, can't imagine my life without them... We do keep their schedule tight, but we don't over do it..
you'll see it gets easier as they get older, well, I shouldn't say easier, you just deal with other issues, not so much the running around and trantrums..

anyways,
You both should rest as much as u can now, cause is gonna be Chaotic for the first 2 years..lol :sulk:
but very rewarding !

I always do my cardio either in the morning or after a workout. I remember reading somewhere that doing cardio takes away the glycogen needed for a workout. Is this correct P? I am always beat after a workout but I know the cardio has to be done

You know I've read a lot of conflicting info on when is "the right time to do cardio"

For me I do it before my workouts, I just don't have the energy to do it after my workouts, I do HIIT on my days off, I'm doing it now twice a week, I do low intensity cardio the other 2 days.

I have read that an intense cardio workout totally or almost depletes your glycogen stores, so for someone trying to build mass is not recommended they do cardio before their workouts, you can rather do it on your days off or after your workouts (if u still have energy)
After your cardio session while protein synthesis drops (your bodys ability to build muscle), and you hit the weights, the result will be that your bodies ability to build muscle will be impaired because of your cardio training depending on how intense your cardio was.

For me since I'm not trying to gain a huge amount of mass, I do it before my workouts, just because I wouldn't be able to do it afterwards.

You know there's a lot of conflicting info about when "is the right time to do cardio" There's is no set time where you make the best gains to do cardio. It ranges for everyone.

I've read that Cardio In The Morning On An Empty Stomach, is a total NO, you think well, if have low glycogen stores in the morning and my energy levels are low because I dont have carbohydrates, so then I will tap into my fat stores right? This is TOTALLY wrong. The complete opposite happens. (so I have read)

Fat burn doesnt occur during cardio exercise, but about two hours after. Instead your body will look at your tasty muscles for energy meaning. Bye bye muscles.

I've also read that you're wasting your time in the gym if you go all out and perform cardio before your workouts.
Because an intense cardio workout totally or almost depletes your glycogen stores.

So with weightlifting, you dont use as much of your glycogen stores, but you still need quite a bit.

So if you have no glycogen stores which is your muscles source of energy and your pushing yourself to max, the energy wont be there to push those last few reps meaning a way less effective workout.

For me I do my Cardio before my workouts, I just don't have the energy I need to do my cardio post workout, I'm doing HIIT twice a day now (on my off days) and the other 2 days I do cardio pre-workout, I usually wait at lesat an hour to do my workout after cardio.
The other tow days I do low intesity cardio, and it seems to be workig good for me.

Last edited:
A good site that I refer to is mercola.com

They have very good workout tips & nutrition tips. They also go into great detail, if you are into that sort of info.

I'm going to try & post a link on what they call Peak 8 training, which is basically what Mrs. P describes. I have been using interval training for years to loose fat after I have what I call a "lazy period", which I have not worked out for 6-9 months. Most recently I am back to the gym after about 9 months due to shoulder injuries....Gah! they suck!
My weight went up to 204lbs normally I carry 180lbs. Being back to the gym and fixing my diet I have lost 7lbs in 2 weeks. I am currently doing 20min of cardio per workout. ( I really dislike cardio...boring) 3-4x/week.

Hope you guys get something out of this link.

fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/11/13/phil-campbell-on-peak-8-exercises.aspx#

A good site that I refer to is mercola.com

They have very good workout tips & nutrition tips. They also go into great detail, if you are into that sort of info.

I'm going to try & post a link on what they call Peak 8 training, which is basically what Mrs. P describes. I have been using interval training for years to loose fat after I have what I call a "lazy period", which I have not worked out for 6-9 months. Most recently I am back to the gym after about 9 months due to shoulder injuries....Gah! they suck!
My weight went up to 204lbs normally I carry 180lbs. Being back to the gym and fixing my diet I have lost 7lbs in 2 weeks. I am currently doing 20min of cardio per workout. ( I really dislike cardio...boring) 3-4x/week.

Hope you guys get something out of this link.

fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/11/13/phil-campbell-on-peak-8-exercises.aspx#

I would like to view the link, try posting it again, just copy & paste it :)

I would like to view the link, try posting it again, just copy & paste it :)

Sorry Mrs P I dont think it is letting me post links cause I'm such a noob.... I've tried a 100 different ways :crying:

I believe that if you copy & paste the info below into your browser it should come up. It worked for me anyway.

fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/11/13/phil-campbell-on-peak-8-exercises.aspx

heart monitor for my cardio

I am going to start doing interval training cardio tomorrow morning, and my question is, because I do not have one yet, is do the inexpensive heart monitoring watch like devices seem to work?
I suck at counting my heartbeats, and thinking about buying a monitor, any advice?

I am going to start doing interval training cardio tomorrow morning, and my question is, because I do not have one yet, is do the inexpensive heart monitoring watch like devices seem to work?
I suck at counting my heartbeats, and thinking about buying a monitor, any advice?

A heart rate monior is fairly enexpensive, and is an accurate way of measuring both your heart rate (pulse rate) and your exercise intensity.

You have to decide if u want a Chest Strap or Strapless, here's a link to a site that explains & describes heart rate monitors.

Heart Rate Monitors : How to Choose and Use a Heart Monitor

Sorry Mrs P I dont think it is letting me post links cause I'm such a noob.... I've tried a 100 different ways :crying:

I believe that if you copy & paste the info below into your browser it should come up. It worked for me anyway.

fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/11/13/phil-campbell-on-peak-8-exercises.aspx

Thanks for the link Dfeaton, I have to check this out, :)

Is it the best cardio for weight loss ?
While you can achieve your weight loss goal by combining diet, strength training, and even steady state cardio, HIIT can take your fat burning to the next level. IMO.

What is HIIT?

HIIT stands for high intensity interval training.
You work really hard for a short burst and then have an active recovery period.
You would repeat this workout routine numerous times for the best effect.

The Benefits of HIIT

Ramps up fat burning.
HIIT provides a great workout for your legs.
The intense intervals allow for the release of fatty acids into the bloodstream. Additionally, HIIT results in increased HGH levels.
Finally, and possibly most importantly, HIIT results in EPOC, an after-burn effect which causes you to burn calories for hours after your workout is completed.

Sprint Interval Length

There are a few components of HIIT that you can vary. The first is the length of the sprint intervals. Shorter intervals of 15-30 seconds allow you to exert more effort during the sprints. This increased level of effort will result in a stronger release of HGH. Additionally, these shorter intervals will release more fatty acids into the bloodstream.

Longer intervals of greater than 30 seconds require more perceived effort. These result in a greater number of calories burned. Additionally, these longer intervals deplete glycogen levels (carbs) allowing your body to burn more fat after the completion of a workout.

Recovery Length

The recovery length also impacts the effects of HIIT. This is the walking or jogging portion of the workout that allows your muscles time to recover.
The length of recovery is relative to the sprint interval. If you sprint for 30 seconds and recovery for 30 seconds, the ratio is 1:1If you sprint for 15 seconds and recover for 45 seconds, the ratio is 3:1.

The longer the recovery in relation to the sprint interval (2 or 3:1), the more effort you can exert in the next interval.
This increased effort will again result in a stronger HGH release.
Additionally, longer recovery reduces the risk of overtraining.

A short recovery relative to the sprint interval (1:1) results in lactic acid buildup, glycogen depletion, and a greater after-burn effect (EPOC).
However, this can lead to a greater risk of overtraining.

The first phase

The first part of the workout is short interval HIIT with a long recovery ratio.
For these intervals, you sprint 15 seconds and recover (jog) for 45 seconds.

You can beging with a warm up for 2 minutes and then perform 8 sets of this type of HIIT for a total workout of 10 minutes.

For the second phase, You could perform 25 minutes of steady state cardio (light paced jog)
This provides an active recovery for your muscles.

The final phase
Is performing long interval HIIT with short recovery periods.
This will fully deplete your body of glycogen allowing for a greater after-burn effect and fat burning once your workout is complete. You could perform 1 minute sprint intervals with 1 minute of jogging.

The sprint intervals for this portion are not as intense as the first phase, by necessity as your muscles will be slightly tired. It’s best to keep this final phase to around 10 minutes as well.

So there you have a 45 minute HIIT workout that I believe is the best cardio for weight loss. This routine should allow you to burn belly fat fast no matter how close or far you are from your ideal weight.

I personally love HIIT cardio, I'm currently doingit 2X a week, and getting great results.

thank u

What was your starting weight and how long did it take you to get to 226.. That's my goal weight.. I'm 280 right now.. Too heavy to run.. So I guess I walk up hill on treadmill in interval of how steep the hill? Any suggestions assuming my diet is in check?

dude, im sorry but i weigh 285 and can run, granted i can only run about a lil over a qmile b4 my lower back starts to hurt and I have to stop, but thats juss an excuse, u can run u juss have to werk your way up to running longer distances.
Juss Sayin.

Back