How much have you guys been able to lower LDL cholesterol

panzers

I am a TRT patient for 3 years, age 43. Parents have high cholesterol and HTN. Just had my yearly lab work done and for the second year in a row total cholesterol is 200 and LDL is 160. Triglycerides are fine. I have been trying to eat healthier in recent months and started exercising again. I finished up my master***8217;s degree a few months ago and had not had time to exercise for several months due to full time work, classes, and practicum.

I am wondering if any of you fellow TRT patients have been able to SIGNIFICANTLY lower LDL with exercise and diet. I do weightlifting, insanity, or cross fit type cardio nearly every day, depending on the day. I take niacin and fish oil, but they primarily lower triglycerides not LDL.

I am beginning to feel resigned that I will have to go on a statin.

Last edited:
Add a spoonfull of coconut oil to your diet every day. Focus on balancing your Omega fatty acids. Omega 6 is not good for you.

Lower your suger intake and increase magneisum and supplement akg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you do don't go on a statin. The latest unbiased research shows they do nothing at all, and can contribute to dementia and other ailments.

Whatever you do don't go on a statin. The latest unbiased research shows they do nothing at all, and can contribute to dementia and other ailments.

Please show me the research on this.

Every major study I read showed a tremendous benefit...

Study after study shows a major (30% ) reduction in heart attacks and strokes. All the phase 3 trials showed a huge benefit.

People think docs make money off writing scripts for mere. I’m a physician and trust me, I make ZERO dollars off of what I write...

Had the same issue as you - total cholesterol was 210. I now eat very clean - high fiber low saturated fat (only plant based fats) lean meats and cardio/ lift 6 days a week. I don’t take any supplements / meds and was able to drop total cholesterol to 145.

And I keep my TT around 1000-1100 on dr prescribed trt.

Please show me the research on this.

Every major study I read showed a tremendous benefit...

Study after study shows a major (30% ) reduction in heart attacks and strokes. All the phase 3 trials showed a huge benefit.

People think docs make money off writing scripts for mere. I***8217;m a physician and trust me, I make ZERO dollars off of what I write...

Here is one, quote below from Natural News website:

"They found that for every 10,000 women being treated with statins, there were only 271 fewer cases of heart disease.

And yet, at the same time, the statin drugs caused 74 cases of liver damage, 23 cases of acute kidney failure, 39 cases of extreme muscle weakness and 307 cases of cataracts.

Statin drugs, in other words, helped 271 people but harmed 443 people."

LONDON (Reuters) - People using cholesterol-lowering statins have a higher risks of liver dysfunction, kidney failure, muscle weakness and cataracts and such side effects of the drug should be closely tracked, doctors said on Friday.

In a study covering more than 2 million people in Britain, researchers from Nottingham University found that adverse side effects of statins, which are prescribed to people with high levels cholesterol to cut the risk of heart disease, were generally worst in the first year of treatment.

The findings, published in the British Medical Journal, are unlikely to affect the use of best-selling medicines like Pfizer***8217;s Lipitor and AstraZeneca***8217;s Crestor, but the study***8217;s authors said patients taking statins should be ***8220;proactively monitored***8221; for side effects.

***8220;Our study is likely to be useful for policy and planning purposes,***8221; said Julia Hippisley-Cox and Carol Coupland, the two professors who led the study. They said it may also be useful ***8220;for informing guidelines on the type and dose of statins.***8221;

Statins are among the most successful drugs of all time and have been credited with preventing millions of heart attacks and strokes. Heart disease is the biggest killer of men and women in the rich world and is also a growing health problem in developing nations.

In a commentary on the study, senior cardiologists Alawi Alsheikh-Al, of the Sheikh Khalifa Medical City in the United Arab Emirates, and Richard Karas of the Tufts University School of Medicine in the United States, said that, like any medical treatment, statins are not completely risk free, but that when used properly, their benefits outweigh their risks.

***8220;It would be wise to interpret the present observations in the context of the confirmed cardioprotective effects of statins and remind ourselves and our patients that these drugs, although considered safe, are, like any intervention in medicine, not entirely free of adverse events,***8221; they wrote.

Coupland and Hippisley-Cox studied data from 368 general practices on 2,004,692 patients aged 30-84 years including 225,922 patients who were new statin users and had been prescribed a range of statins.

They found that for every 10,000 high risk women treated with statins, the positive impact would be around 271 fewer cases of heart disease and 8 fewer cases of oesophageal cancer.

On the other side, there would also be 74 extra patients with liver dysfunction, 23 extra patients with acute renal failure, 307 with cataracts and 39 with a muscle weakness condition called myopathy.

Similar figures were found for men except rates of myopathy were higher, they said. They noted that some of the effects might be due to better detection rates since patients taking statins are likely to consult their doctors more often.

The adverse effects were similar for all different types of statins, except for liver dysfunction, where the highest risks were found for fluvastatin, which is sold by Novartis under the brand names Lescol and Lochol.

***8220;All of the increased risks persisted during the treatment, but were highest in the first year,***8221; they wrote.

Here is another, showing muscle cramping and pain in 42.6%

Abstract

Importance Muscle-related statin intolerance is reported by 5% to 20% of patients.

Objective To identify patients with muscle symptoms confirmed by statin rechallenge and compare lipid-lowering efficacy for 2 nonstatin therapies, ezetimibe and evolocumab.

Design, Setting, and Participants Two-stage randomized clinical trial including 511 adult patients with uncontrolled low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) levels and history of intolerance to 2 or more statins enrolled in 2013 and 2014 globally. Phase A used a 24-week crossover procedure with atorvastatin or placebo to identify patients having symptoms only with atorvastatin but not placebo. In phase B, after a 2-week washout, patients were randomized to ezetimibe or evolocumab for 24 weeks.

Interventions Phase A: atorvastatin (20 mg) vs placebo. Phase B: randomization 2:1 to subcutaneous evolocumab (420 mg monthly) or oral ezetimibe (10 mg daily).

Main Outcome and Measures Coprimary end points were the mean percent change in LDL-C level from baseline to the mean of weeks 22 and 24 levels and from baseline to week 24 levels.

Results Of the 491 patients who entered phase A (mean age, 60.7 [SD, 10.2] years; 246 women [50.1%]; 170 with coronary heart disease [34.6%]; entry mean LDL-C level, 212.3 [SD, 67.9] mg/dL), muscle symptoms occurred in 209 of 491 (42.6%) while taking atorvastatin but not while taking placebo. Of these, 199 entered phase B, along with 19 who proceeded directly to phase B for elevated creatine kinase (N***8201;=***8201;218, with 73 randomized to ezetimibe and 145 to evolocumab; entry mean LDL-C level, 219.9 [SD, 72] mg/dL). For the mean of weeks 22 and 24, LDL-C level with ezetimibe was 183.0 mg/dL; mean percent LDL-C change, ***8722;16.7% (95% CI, ***8722;20.5% to ***8722;12.9%), absolute change, ***8722;31.0 mg/dL and with evolocumab was 103.6 mg/dL; mean percent change, ***8722;54.5% (95% CI, ***8722;57.2% to ***8722;51.8%); absolute change, ***8722;106.8 mg/dL (P***8201;<***8201;.001). LDL-C level at week 24 with ezetimibe was 181.5 mg/dL; mean percent change, ***8722;16.7% (95% CI, ***8722;20.8% to ***8722;12.5%); absolute change, ***8722;31.2 mg/dL and with evolocumab was 104.1 mg/dL; mean percent change, ***8722;52.8% (95% CI, ***8722;55.8% to ***8722;49.8%); absolute change, ***8722;102.9 mg/dL (P***8201;<***8201;.001). For the mean of weeks 22 and 24, between-group difference in LDL-C was ***8722;37.8%; absolute difference, ***8722;75.8 mg/dL. For week 24, between-group difference in LDL-C was ***8722;36.1%; absolute difference, ***8211;71.7 mg/dL. Muscle symptoms were reported in 28.8% of ezetimibe-treated patients and 20.7% of evolocumab-treated patients (log-rank P***8201;=***8201;.17). Active study drug was stopped for muscle symptoms in 5 of 73 ezetimibe-treated patients (6.8%) and 1 of 145 evolocumab-treated patients (0.7%).

Conclusions and Relevance Among patients with statin intolerance related to muscle-related adverse effects, the use of evolocumab compared with ezetimibe resulted in a significantly greater reduction in LDL-C levels after 24 weeks. Further studies are needed to assess long-term efficacy and safety.

Trial Registration clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT01984424

Here is another one showing 12% increased chance of getting type 2 diabetes

Background

Statins increase the risk of new-onset type 2 diabetes mellitus. We aimed to assess whether this increase in risk is a consequence of inhibition of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA reductase (HMGCR), the intended drug target.
Methods

We used single nucleotide polymorphisms in the HMGCR gene, rs17238484 (for the main analysis) and rs12916 (for a subsidiary analysis) as proxies for HMGCR inhibition by statins. We examined associations of these variants with plasma lipid, glucose, and insulin concentrations; bodyweight; waist circumference; and prevalent and incident type 2 diabetes. Study-specific effect estimates per copy of each LDL-lowering allele were pooled by meta-analysis. These findings were compared with a meta-analysis of new-onset type 2 diabetes and bodyweight change data from randomised trials of statin drugs. The effects of statins in each randomised trial were assessed using meta-analysis.
Findings

Data were available for up to 223***8200;463 individuals from 43 genetic studies. Each additional rs17238484-G allele was associated with a mean 0·06 mmol/L (95% CI 0·05***8211;0·07) lower LDL cholesterol and higher body weight (0·30 kg, 0·18***8211;0·43), waist circumference (0·32 cm, 0·16***8211;0·47), plasma insulin concentration (1·62%, 0·53***8211;2·72), and plasma glucose concentration (0·23%, 0·02***8211;0·44). The rs12916 SNP had similar effects on LDL cholesterol, bodyweight, and waist circumference. The rs17238484-G allele seemed to be associated with higher risk of type 2 diabetes (odds ratio [OR] per allele 1·02, 95% CI 1·00***8211;1·05); the rs12916-T allele association was consistent (1·06, 1·03***8211;1·09). In 129***8200;170 individuals in randomised trials, statins lowered LDL cholesterol by 0·92 mmol/L (95% CI 0·18***8211;1·67) at 1-year of follow-up, increased bodyweight by 0·24 kg (95% CI 0·10***8211;0·38 in all trials; 0·33 kg, 95% CI 0·24***8211;0·42 in placebo or standard care controlled trials and ***8722;0·15 kg, 95% CI ***8722;0·39 to 0·08 in intensive-dose vs moderate-dose trials) at a mean of 4·2 years (range 1·9***8211;6·7) of follow-up, and increased the odds of new-onset type 2 diabetes (OR 1·12, 95% CI 1·06***8211;1·18 in all trials; 1·11, 95% CI 1·03***8211;1·20 in placebo or standard care controlled trials and 1·12, 95% CI 1·04***8211;1·22 in intensive-dose vs moderate dose trials).
Interpretation

The increased risk of type 2 diabetes noted with statins is at least partially explained by HMGCR inhibition.

And another, this one is charming - memory loss, muscle fatigue, cataracts, and diabetes

NaturalNews) The statin drugs prescribed to over 100 million people around the world have now been exposed as cellular poisons that accelerate aging and promote muscle fatigue, diabetes, memory loss and more.

Scientists at Tulane University in New Orleans found that statin drugs -- which generate tens of billions of dollars a year for pharmaceutical companies -- "deactivate" the stem cells responsible for cellular repair throughout the body. While statin drugs have been aggressively pushed by for-profit drug companies as "miracle" medicines, in truth they can lead to disastrous (even fatal) side effects in many patients.

As the UK Express writes, such side effects include "memory loss, muscle pain, diabetes, cataracts, liver dysfunction, diabetes, fatigue and memory loss."

"Statins make regular users become older faster," reports the Express, "leaving them open to long-term mental and physical decline..." The Express adds:

Scientists have found the heart disease drug badly affects our stem cells, the internal medical system which repairs damage to our bodies and protects us from muscle and joint pain as well as memory loss. ... Professor Reza Izadpanah, a stem cell biologist and lead author of the research published in the American Journal of Physiology, said: "Our study shows statins may speed up the aging process."

Statin drug side effects documented to include memory loss, muscle fatigue, cataracts and diabetes
The study, published in the American Journal of Physiology - Cell Physiology is entitled "The Impact of Statins on Biological Characteristics of Stem Cells Provides a Novel Explanation for Their Pleotropic Beneficial and Adverse Clinical Effects."

And another, memory loss

(NaturalNews) If you take statin drugs for high cholesterol and suffer from frequent forgetfulness or amnesia, you could be a victim of statin-induced memory impairment. New research published in the open-access journal PLOS One reveals that pravastatin (Pravachol), a common statin drug used to reduce levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol in the blood, impairs cognitive ability and memory recognition.

Researchers from the University of Bristol in the UK tested the effects of both pravastatin and atorvastatin (Lipitor) on mice over the course of 18 days, evaluating their collective ability to learn simple tasks and remember how to find food rewards. At the end of 18 days, the mice were allowed a one week withdrawal period to come down off the drugs, followed by testing designed to quantify their ability to recognize previously encountered objects.

When they evaluated the final data, the research team noted that pravastatin impaired the mice's overall learning capacity during the final days of treatment, a symptom that was fully reversed after the mice were taken off the drug. But as far as object recognition memory was concerned, mice taking pravastatin experienced lasting negative impairment.

"The results suggest that chronic treatment with pravastatin impairs working and recognition memory in rodents," explains a University of Bristol announcement about the study. "The reversibility of the effects on stopping treatment is similar to what has been observed in patients, but the lack of effect of atorvastatin suggests that some types of statin may be more likely to cause cognitive impairment than others."

Other common side effects of statin drugs include an increased risk of type 2 diabetes, liver damage and muscle deterioration. Numerous studies have also called into question the ability of statin drugs to provide meaningful protection against heart disease, including a recent review of the published literature on statins which found that they are one of the most egregious medical frauds of all time.

"Statin use was correlated with a greater incidence of severe coronary artery stenosis as well as increase in the numbers of coronary vessels developing obstructive coronary artery disease," wrote the authors of this recent review, entitled "The Ugly Side of Statins. Systemic Appraisal of the Contemporary Un-Known Unknowns" and published in the Journal of Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases.

"Furthermore, statin use was linked to an increase in the prevalence and extent of mixed calcific plaque. Five prospective studies have borne witness to the fact that statin therapy does not induce any coronary calcium regression and evolution of coronary calcium continues regardless of statin treatment."

Source:

The Ugly Side of Statins. Systemic Appraisal of the Contemporary Un-Known Unknowns; Journal of Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases; Sherif Sultan and Niamh Hynes; doi:10.4236/ojemd.2013.33025.

And another. I could go on and on, but do your own research. Try to find the basic research that these opinion articles are derived from.

(NaturalNews) Statin drugs are not only highly dangerous to human health but also largely ineffective in extending lifespan, according to a recent study.

The new research, published in The BMJ, found that statin drugs taken over two to five years to prevent a first heart attack added an average of only 3.2 days to a patient's lifespan, and only 4.1 days to those who have already suffered a heart attack.

These findings are significant, especially considering the fact that statin drugs are currently being taken by one-third of American adults and that these medications are associated with a number of serious side effects.

According to renowned physician and holistic medicine proponent Dr. David Brownstein, statin medications cause "severe adverse effects including mitochondrial dysfunction, muscle weakness and breakdown, brain fog, memory loss, dementia, and cancer."

Dr. Brownstein believes the risks of taking statin drugs far outweigh the purported benefits:

Folks, statins are a disaster. They fail nearly 99% who take them to prevent getting a heart attack. And, their mortality benefit is close to nonexistent as shown in this study. We are wasting a huge amount of scarce health care dollars on a class of medications that should be pulled from the market.

Side effects of statin medications
The dangerous side effects associated with statin medications are numerous and have been proven in dozens of studies.

Statins harm the body in many ways ***8211; here are just a few examples:

Statin drugs inhibit the body's production of an important enzyme ***8211; coenzyme Q10 ***8211; which regulates the immune and nervous systems, keeps the heart and other muscles healthy and maintains normal blood pressure.

Statins suppress the immune system and diminish the body's ability to fight off infections.
Statins increase the risk of obesity and developing diabetes.

Many patients using statins experience muscle problems, nerve degeneration, pain and memory loss.
Statins increase the risk of breast and prostate cancer, cause liver damage, diminish the sex drive and speed up aging.

Statins cause depression and mood swings, and have been shown to increase aggressive and violent behavior in women.

The "good" vs. "bad" cholesterol myth
Statin drugs are prescribed for their cholesterol-lowering properties ***8211; according to the belief that lowering "bad" cholesterol will prevent heart disease ***8211; but the "bad" vs. "good" cholesterol theory has proven to be little more than a myth.

From the Alliance for Natural Health USA:

Even when it comes to heart disease prevention, conventional thinking gets it wrong. The American Heart Association, for instance, published a study based on the outdated, simplistic notion that there are two kinds of cholesterol: "bad" (LDL) and "good" (HDL). The AHA's dietary guidelines are also centered on the debunked notion that "bad" cholesterol causes heart disease, and that since saturated fat may raise "bad" cholesterol levels, it's the ultimate dietary evildoer. ...

What the AHA does not seem to understand is that cholesterol is vital to human health. We've noted in the past that cholesterol isn't the ticking time bomb most people have been led to think***8212;in fact, the real danger is that our cholesterol levels can get too low as we age! Even "bad" cholesterol is essential.

Statins and the brain
Cholesterol is essential to healthy brain function ***8211; the human brain accounts for only 2 percent of the body's weight, but it contains one-quarter of the entire body's cholesterol. According to Dr. Brownstein:

The majority of the brain is made up of cholesterol. It does not take a rocket scientist or a doctor to predict that cholesterol-lowering medications will cause brain dysfunction. Due to their mechanism of action, statins are bound to cause a decline in brain function.

Why are statins still being prescribed?
Since statin drugs have been shown to be largely ineffective and cause severe side effects, why are they still on the market?

The reason of course is money ***8211; statin drugs are, as Dr. Brownstein points out, "the most profitable drugs in the history of the Big Pharma Cartel."

That pretty much explains everything, doesn't it?

Source:

The effect of statins on average survival in randomised trials, an analysis of end point postponement

Malene Lopez Kristensen1, Palle Mark Christensen1, Jesper Hallas1,2

Author affiliations
Abstract

Objective To estimate the average postponement of death in statin trials.

Setting A systematic literature review of all statin trials that presented all-cause survival curves for treated and untreated.

Intervention Statin treatment compared to placebo.

Primary outcome measures The average postponement of death as represented by the area between the survival curves.

Results 6 studies for primary prevention and 5 for secondary prevention with a follow-up between 2.0 and 6.1***8197;years were identified. Death was postponed between ***8722;5 and 19***8197;days in primary prevention trials and between ***8722;10 and 27***8197;days in secondary prevention trials. The median postponement of death for primary and secondary prevention trials were 3.2 and 4.1***8197;days, respectively.

Conclusions Statin treatment results in a surprisingly small average gain in overall survival within the trials***8217; running time. For patients whose life expectancy is limited or who have adverse effects of treatment, withholding statin therapy should be considered.

This is an Open Access article distributed in accordance with the Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial (CC BY-NC 4.0) license, which permits others to distribute, remix, adapt, build upon this work non-commercially, and license their derivative works on different terms, provided the original work is properly cited and the use is non-commercial.

There's a few things that you can do to Lower your LDL.

Eat Rolled Oats in the Morning, I personally use Trader Joe's Organic Old Fashion Oats.
Take 100% Psyllium Husks before bed, not the Processed Crap like Metamucil ~ 2 Tablespoons in Water.

Then Up your Omega-3's ~ a Good Quality Fish Oil.
I use Carlson's Liquid Fish Oil.
It's 1,600 Mg per TSP ~ 3 to 6 Grams a Day.
And Filtered for Lead/Cadmium/Mercury/PCB's/and 28 other Contaminants............................ JP

And another. I could go on and on, but do your own research. Try to find the basic research that these opinion articles are derived from.

(NaturalNews) Statin drugs are not only highly dangerous to human health but also largely ineffective in extending lifespan, according to a recent study.

The new research, published in The BMJ, found that statin drugs taken over two to five years to prevent a first heart attack added an average of only 3.2 days to a patient's lifespan, and only 4.1 days to those who have already suffered a heart attack.

These findings are significant, especially considering the fact that statin drugs are currently being taken by one-third of American adults and that these medications are associated with a number of serious side effects.

According to renowned physician and holistic medicine proponent Dr. David Brownstein, statin medications cause "severe adverse effects including mitochondrial dysfunction, muscle weakness and breakdown, brain fog, memory loss, dementia, and cancer."

Dr. Brownstein believes the risks of taking statin drugs far outweigh the purported benefits:

Folks, statins are a disaster. They fail nearly 99% who take them to prevent getting a heart attack. And, their mortality benefit is close to nonexistent as shown in this study. We are wasting a huge amount of scarce health care dollars on a class of medications that should be pulled from the market.

Side effects of statin medications
The dangerous side effects associated with statin medications are numerous and have been proven in dozens of studies.

Statins harm the body in many ways ***8211; here are just a few examples:

Statin drugs inhibit the body's production of an important enzyme ***8211; coenzyme Q10 ***8211; which regulates the immune and nervous systems, keeps the heart and other muscles healthy and maintains normal blood pressure.

Statins suppress the immune system and diminish the body's ability to fight off infections.
Statins increase the risk of obesity and developing diabetes.

Many patients using statins experience muscle problems, nerve degeneration, pain and memory loss.
Statins increase the risk of breast and prostate cancer, cause liver damage, diminish the sex drive and speed up aging.

Statins cause depression and mood swings, and have been shown to increase aggressive and violent behavior in women.

The "good" vs. "bad" cholesterol myth
Statin drugs are prescribed for their cholesterol-lowering properties ***8211; according to the belief that lowering "bad" cholesterol will prevent heart disease ***8211; but the "bad" vs. "good" cholesterol theory has proven to be little more than a myth.

From the Alliance for Natural Health USA:

Even when it comes to heart disease prevention, conventional thinking gets it wrong. The American Heart Association, for instance, published a study based on the outdated, simplistic notion that there are two kinds of cholesterol: "bad" (LDL) and "good" (HDL). The AHA's dietary guidelines are also centered on the debunked notion that "bad" cholesterol causes heart disease, and that since saturated fat may raise "bad" cholesterol levels, it's the ultimate dietary evildoer. ...

What the AHA does not seem to understand is that cholesterol is vital to human health. We've noted in the past that cholesterol isn't the ticking time bomb most people have been led to think***8212;in fact, the real danger is that our cholesterol levels can get too low as we age! Even "bad" cholesterol is essential.

Statins and the brain
Cholesterol is essential to healthy brain function ***8211; the human brain accounts for only 2 percent of the body's weight, but it contains one-quarter of the entire body's cholesterol. According to Dr. Brownstein:

The majority of the brain is made up of cholesterol. It does not take a rocket scientist or a doctor to predict that cholesterol-lowering medications will cause brain dysfunction. Due to their mechanism of action, statins are bound to cause a decline in brain function.

Why are statins still being prescribed?
Since statin drugs have been shown to be largely ineffective and cause severe side effects, why are they still on the market?

The reason of course is money ***8211; statin drugs are, as Dr. Brownstein points out, "the most profitable drugs in the history of the Big Pharma Cartel."

That pretty much explains everything, doesn't it?

Source:

The effect of statins on average survival in randomised trials, an analysis of end point postponement

Malene Lopez Kristensen1, Palle Mark Christensen1, Jesper Hallas1,2

Author affiliations
Abstract

Objective To estimate the average postponement of death in statin trials.

Setting A systematic literature review of all statin trials that presented all-cause survival curves for treated and untreated.

Intervention Statin treatment compared to placebo.

Primary outcome measures The average postponement of death as represented by the area between the survival curves.

Results 6 studies for primary prevention and 5 for secondary prevention with a follow-up between 2.0 and 6.1***8197;years were identified. Death was postponed between ***8722;5 and 19***8197;days in primary prevention trials and between ***8722;10 and 27***8197;days in secondary prevention trials. The median postponement of death for primary and secondary prevention trials were 3.2 and 4.1***8197;days, respectively.

Conclusions Statin treatment results in a surprisingly small average gain in overall survival within the trials***8217; running time. For patients whose life expectancy is limited or who have adverse effects of treatment, withholding statin therapy should be considered.

This is an Open Access article distributed in accordance with the Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial (CC BY-NC 4.0) license, which permits others to distribute, remix, adapt, build upon this work non-commercially, and license their derivative works on different terms, provided the original work is properly cited and the use is non-commercial.

Citing studies from “natural news”??? Lol

Of course they are going to say do things naturally!

Not one thing you cited supported your claim that “statins don’t work.” The 1000 studies on medscape and pubmed and American heart association that show overwhelming evidence of their benefit.

Everything has a side effect and of course with 100 million people on statins you will see evidence of adverse events. But almost every single cardiologist will say (including all my colleagues) the benefits of statins outweigh the adverse effects.

Tankman
Here’s a quote from you:
Statins are among the most successful drugs of all time and have been credited with preventing millions of heart attacks and strokes. Heart disease is the biggest killer of men and women in the rich world and is also a growing health problem in developing nations.

In a commentary on the study, senior cardiologists Alawi Alsheikh-Al, of the Sheikh Khalifa Medical City in the United Arab Emirates, and Richard Karas of the Tufts University School of Medicine in the United States, said that, like any medical treatment, statins are not completely risk free, but that when used properly, their benefits outweigh their risks.

I am wondering if any of you fellow TRT patients have been able to SIGNIFICANTLY lower LDL with exercise and diet. I do weightlifting, insanity, or cross fit type cardio nearly every day, depending on the day. I take niacin and fish oil, but they primarily lower triglycerides not LDL.

About 20 years ago I had a mostly blocked artery that came close to giving me a fatal hear attack, but it was discovered in time and fixed with an angioplasty.

Afterwards I tried a very low fat diet to improve blood lipids. After a month of very strict dieting, my cholesterol was the worst it had ever been. My doctor said, "some people can control cholesterol with diet, but most can't." So the doctor put me on niacin, which gave me amazingly low LDL numbers.

But niacin is difficult. Too little and it does nothing. Too much and it can cause problems. The range between doing nothing and toxic effects is very small. It takes a lot of blood monitoring to get the dose right. You cannot do it on your own.

Heart disease is the biggest killer of men and women in the rich world and is also a growing health problem in developing nations.

With millions of people on statins why is this the case? In general the vast majority of people want to eat the western diet and not exercise, that's the root cause - diet too high in sugars and carbs and for most a total lack of exercise. These people want to believe they can help their health by popping a pill, for them statins are that magic elixer. But the truth is more complicated.

The majority of research done on statin benefits are on people who have already had one cardiac event, in general they are basket cases with all the symptoms of extra weight, poor blood sugar control, bad lipid profiles, and generally a physical wreck. For these people statins show a boost in survival rates.

Where it breaks down is given them to otherwise healthy people, where unbiased research shows little to no benefit and increased chance of harm.

Make your own choices people, it's my opinion getting your diet in check regarding carbs and sugars is the biggest benefit you can get. Popping a pill intended to reduce circulating levels of cholesterol is a dodgy thing to do. You have to buy into the cholesterol is the problem, rather than cholesterol is a symptom of another problem, mantra to buy into statins are a good idea.

Back