How to tell?

DaHurt

Motivated
This is a question for those of you who are experienced in BB competition.

Competing is something that has always fascinated me and is something I think I want to do eventually...

However, I don't want to just compete for fun, if I do it, I want to do it to win (duh)...but recently I read more and more about genetics and how most people could never have what it takes, so I'm starting to doubt whether I should (?).

SO how do you know if you have what it takes to compete? In retrospect, those who have experience on the stage, how do you know? I'm thinking of a few guys in particular...

Sorry for such a broad question...just seems the more I read the more naysayers there are out there (or maybe they're just mad because they don't have what it takes?).

I'll go ahead and call out a few guys :D

Cashout and Osta Marketing, I know you guys have been on stage a time or two, and I respect your opinions.

Just thinking about standing up there putting it all on the line really has me questioning everything...how do you keep the confidence?

You just want an excuse to wear those little skiveys on stage!!

Anyway my comment will at least bump this back up for ya!

You just want an excuse to wear those little skiveys on stage!!

Anyway my comment will at least bump this back up for ya!

Haha actually the opposite...I don't know if I have the confidence to do it!

...I'm starting to think maybe I should give it another full year instead of going for this October...my biggest fear is being the worst looking guy on the stage.

You have to have massive amounts of self confidence to put your body on display like that...it's one thing for me to post my pics up here anonymously with my face blurred out, but honestly standing in front of people like that terrifies me!

What is your height weight and BF% at the moment? I know I can't ever compete because of my tiny calves that will not grow. Other than that I have a great "shape" for it.

While I think BBers should have large well-developed calves, they're not really scored - look at Dennis Wolf and Johnny O Jackson...their calves suck. If that is the only thing holding you back...don't let it!

I'm doing a bulk at moment - just started my first cycle - but right now I'm 5'10" 218lbs 8-9% body fat...I was 8% when I started but I'm holding water from the dbol so I'm not sure exactly what the bf is...probably about the same I'd guess.

I mainly worry that I don't have broad enough shoulders and a tight enough waist.

Matt Porter is another of the guys on here who competes, you might want to hit him up also.

PhatBastard competes also but not in bodybuilding, he competes in drag , and I don't mean racing

lol poor PB! Oh yeah that's right, forgot about Matt...anybody who has competed feel free to offer any nuggets of wisdom haha.

I say fuck genetics!!! Do it for you and who gives a fuck if u place 1st or last at least you tried it and had the balls to get up there and show your hard work !!! At the very least you then will know what its like and what the judges are looking for. Good luck bro im 42 now and there are lots of things i look back and say i should have tried this or that. Dont be like that look back and say I had the balls to try!!!!!:D

DaHurt, I think you have to go for it if it's what you want to do. Being afraid of failure's a bad excuse, and you're a bigger man than that on the inside. Fear nothing because the experience you'll gain will be priceless, even if you end up dead last.

DaHurt, I think you have to go for it if it's what you want to do. Being afraid of failure's a bad excuse, and you're a bigger man than that on the inside. Fear nothing because the experience you'll gain will be priceless, even if you end up dead last.

I aggree with Essay!

But heres my 2 cents on the subject. Son you have what it takes Physic wise. You just need to fill out a bit more. But that said the way you look right know you will do quite well in local contests.

If this is some thing you really want to do you need to get the stage experience. May as well start now. From what we have seen you do so far I have confidence you will do well with it.

Matt Porter is another of the guys on here who competes, you might want to hit him up also.

PhatBastard competes also but not in bodybuilding, he competes in drag , and I don't mean racing

Zeeks still butt hurt I stole his Zebra away from him

I say fuck genetics!!! Do it for you and who gives a fuck if u place 1st or last at least you tried it and had the balls to get up there and show your hard work !!! At the very least you then will know what its like and what the judges are looking for. Good luck bro im 42 now and there are lots of things i look back and say i should have tried this or that. Dont be like that look back and say I had the balls to try!!!!!:D

I think you guys are right...I need to just say fuck it and do it. If nothing else, at least I'll be able to say I've competed and I'll have the experience under my belt!

Plus, I'll never know how I stack up until I try.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I aggree with Essay!

But heres my 2 cents on the subject. Son you have what it takes Physic wise. You just need to fill out a bit more. But that said the way you look right know you will do quite well in local contests.

If this is some thing you really want to do you need to get the stage experience. May as well start now. From what we have seen you do so far I have confidence you will do well with it.

Thanks PB I really value your input.

I think part of the reason I'm unsure is because there are no guys that compete at my gym, and pretty much no bodybuilders...sooooo I have no reference for comparison ya know?

I may look 'big' at my gym, but I'm terrified of getting up on stage and being dwarfed by the competition...I guess it's stupid haha.

Thanks PB I really value your input.

I think part of the reason I'm unsure is because there are no guys that compete at my gym, and pretty much no bodybuilders...sooooo I have no reference for comparison ya know?

I may look 'big' at my gym, but I'm terrified of getting up on stage and being dwarfed by the competition...I guess it's stupid haha.

Brother trust me on this! I have an eye for it I spent many years involder in this game. I had the oprotuinity to meet many rpos and judges in my life time.

your comment if funny cause I was just coming back to ad some advice.

You need to find a local show. Or best find a friend that is involved in shows in your erea so you can learn the in and outs. Get back staged up close and in person so you get a real comparison.

Problen I seen over the years is the young guys. That want to try and compete physic them selves out of ever trying cause there comparing them selves to pro's or upper lever BB's

This is just not realistc. If nothing more go to a couple local shows you will know exactly what I'm talking about at that point.

Yeah you're right man...sometimes it's hard to remember it's not a sprint, it's a marathon

see you already think like a pro!

Hey if you really want a mind fuck do this!

Find a local show.

don't enter it BUT IN YOUR MIND enter it

K now do the entire thing Like you are.

What I meen is Practice your training and cutting diet to prep for the show as you were walking on stage.

I think you will gain two things from this.

#1 your going to learn what mistakes you made first go round.

#2 You will gaine confidence when you watch the show and say WTF I could have taken this!

see you already think like a pro!

Hey if you really want a mind fuck do this!

Find a local show.

don't enter it BUT IN YOUR MIND enter it

K now do the entire thing Like you are.

What I meen is Practice your training and cutting diet to prep for the show as you were walking on stage.

I think you will gain two things from this.

#1 your going to learn what mistakes you made first go round.

#2 You will gaine confidence when you watch the show and say WTF I could have taken this!

hmmm that's actually a pretty good idea....

Back