I need to put 10lbs. on my 12 yr.old son(need help)

ROAD DOG

My 12 year old son has been wrestling for 6 years now and has gotten really good.The problem is,he will be wrestling for the junior high team next year,the lightest weight class starts at 80 lbs,and he only weighs 70 lbs.He will be at a huge disadvantage if he don't gain some weight by next fall.He is very thin and does not gain weight very easily.How much calories should he be eating to start gaining weight?Should I have him eat lot's of carbs and protein?I don't want to jeopardise his health in any way,I want to do this as healthy as possible.Any suggestions?

What I usually recomend to my athletes who need to gain weight, is 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bw. Then play w/ your carbs and fat from there. Try to keep his food choices clean,body fat won't help him. Also, do not be aversed to having him train w/ weights, he will need to build up some lean tissue to compete with those older kids.

My Opinion -

3 Good meals (get him accustomed to this) - Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
To many kids skip breakfast and that sets them at a disadvantage

Emphasize Complex Carbs (brown rice, PASTA, potatoes)

As for protein - Don't go above 1g / lb

Include some healthy fats like Peanut butter (and infact if he's really having trouble gaining) Peanut butter sandwiches are the way to go -

As for weights - ONLY isolation movements. Nothing complex for another 2 years.

Also don't pressure your son - Unless he's the one asking you what to do then don't force it. You'll only regret it later.

Thanks for the help,as far as pressuring him goes,I am not putting any on him at all,this is what he wants to do.In fact,I have to hold him back a little,he wants to lift weights alot and get real serious,I told him we will just start with the basics,push up,sit ups and chin ups,basically just work with his own body weight,I don't want him to get burned out.

Don't think 100 grams a day of protein a day would hurt the kid. He is probably getting less than half that now if you analyzed it. I think that is a crucial age to be getting the protein too. That is a lot of the reason why kids are so scrawny in their upper teens. Ever notice the families that eat the gargantuin amounts of meat at every meal grow the big kids? But often eat too much of everything else though too & end up overweight. So yeah, he may need a little more complex carbs etc, but I agree, watch that, he doesn't need the fat. as long as he has enough quality sugar to get the energy to practice & work out.

You got to look closly at his protein intake, no way 100 grams could stress the liver, just make sure he drinks plenty of liquids too. And yeah, I agree he needs a good basic weight program. I bet something like a typical 3 way split, just working out 3 times a week about 20 minutes each time would be enough. But both the diet and the lifting would have to become a week-in, week-out habit, every week consistantly.

One or 2 whey shakes would take care of all the extra protein he needs, added into his regular diet.

Just advise him to eat a health diet. Don't go too long without food, don't overeat, keep simple sugars to a mininum, etc. Anything more complicated is too much for a 12 year old boy that is going to be going through drastic changes in the next few years.

This is just my opinion of course. No doubt he is _going_ to start gaining weight very soon, regardless.

mranak said:
Just advise him to eat a health diet. Don't go too long without food, don't overeat, keep simple sugars to a mininum, etc. Anything more complicated is too much for a 12 year old boy that is going to be going through drastic changes in the next few years.

This is just my opinion of course. No doubt he is _going_ to start gaining weight very soon, regardless.

This is exactly what i was trying to stress -

And its not the liver that would be stressed - that would be the kidney, and i agree that 100g will probably not hurt him any.

Also try and stress technique at that age - I've been around many guys in high school that wrestled in the 215 lb weight category but weighed in the 180's. In fact one i know one went on to win state and i believe is at iowa state or another large program.

I know this sounds weird, but have him drink a MRP in the middle of the night when he gets up to pee. I STILL do this although I no longer keep the blender on the back of the toilet... it DOES work though by breaking the fasting period at night. Most 12yr olds have the metabolism of a racehorse and that 7-8hr gap at night is eating away at him. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

ectomorph said:
I know this sounds weird, but have him drink a MRP in the middle of the night when he gets up to pee. I STILL do this although I no longer keep the blender on the back of the toilet... it DOES work though by breaking the fasting period at night. Most 12yr olds have the metabolism of a racehorse and that 7-8hr gap at night is eating away at him. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.
I don't think he would be able to do that,I couldn't even get him to drink one during the day,I know the middle of the night would be out of the question.As far as meal replacements go,the only thing he likes is MET-RX bars,i guess they are better than nothing.

ROAD DOG said:
I don't think he would be able to do that,I couldn't even get him to drink one during the day,I know the middle of the night would be out of the question.As far as meal replacements go,the only thing he likes is MET-RX bars,i guess they are better than nothing.
Does your son WANT to gain weight? I used to choke down Weider weight gainer that tasted NASTY when I was 12-13... If he wants to gain weight he is gonna have to try. MetRx shakes and the like taste great by comparison and produce far greater results. Good Luck.

ectomorph said:
Does your son WANT to gain weight? I used to choke down Weider weight gainer that tasted NASTY when I was 12-13... If he wants to gain weight he is gonna have to try. MetRx shakes and the like taste great by comparison and produce far greater results. Good Luck.
I gave him a vanilla shake before and he didn't like it,I will see if he can choke down a chocolte one.I am just trying to be careful not to force things on him,he needs to do this at his own will,I am just there to encourage him and steer him in the right direction.

After every meal have him drink a whole milk frozen shake for dessert here are the ingredients

2 cups whole milk
1 banana
2 eggs
vanilla extract
one scoop chocolate ice cream
1 tablespoon ovaltine

Blend in a blender
It is delicious and packed with protein--4 of these a day along with a good balanced diet should help him pack on the pounds

Dude dont let him hit the waits yet. I cant tell you how many kids that beg me to show them how to workout. Everyone tries to be tough about it and not complain but they end up telling me their in pain. I still have pains that effect my training now at 28. I started around 16 and wish I waited till 18. These highschool football coaches amaze me they got their kids soin squats and bench at 15. Only someone with gentics like arnold can workout at 15 no-way 12. Just my 2 cents, most people dont listen then they come back and tell they wish they did.

Dlove said:
Dude dont let him hit the waits yet. I cant tell you how many kids that beg me to show them how to workout. Everyone tries to be tough about it and not complain but they end up telling me their in pain. I still have pains that effect my training now at 28. I started around 16 and wish I waited till 18. These highschool football coaches amaze me they got their kids soin squats and bench at 15. Only someone with gentics like arnold can workout at 15 no-way 12. Just my 2 cents, most people dont listen then they come back and tell they wish they did.
I disagree. With proper guidance he is old enough. it wont make his growth plates fuse early or any of that other BS everyone says. It will be GOOD for him.

Please post the research that proves HEAVY squats won't - If you know much about the body, having him put that much pressure on his spinal column at 12 is not the best idea.

Now like i said - Some isolation work is fine, However Heavy compound movements is not.

But what about the immature musculoskeletal system?
Another area of concern is the potential damage resistance training can cause to the immature skeleton: increased physical activity in children is often associated with musculoskeletal damage(4). The skeletal system is in its formative stages during pre-adolescence and does not fully mature until early adulthood (6,8). It is commonly thought that the use of resistance training could contribute to damage of cartilage, bones, joint surfaces and tendons. It has even been suggested that damage to growth cartilage can result in stunted growth. Other structures, such as the spine, have also been highlighted as an area of potential injury. Although these issues are a serious cause for concern, some experts feel that the case may be somewhat overstated. Research has shown that sport-related musculoskeletal damage occurs very rarely. The majority of cases have been linked with maximal overhead lifts of the sort associated with power lifting, and no evidence has been found of skeletal damage in relation to resistance training (1).
So, based on sound research, it would be safe to say that a good-quality resistance training programme is an effective training method to complement the existing training regime of young performers. If you are a coach looking to introduce your young athletes to the benefits of resistance training, here are some guidelines to take into consideration.

the above snipet was from the 1st link below. the rest are just for reading....
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0643.htm
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0675/is_1_20/ai_82470020
http://ed-web3.educ.msu.edu/ysi/Spotlight2001/resistance_training_for_young_at.htm
http://www.nsca-lift.org/Publications/posstatements.shtml

Last edited:
I wouldn't but there are tons of ignorant parents out there - How many people at the gym do you see doing things wrong - Probably 75%

Look at the kid Richard Sandrak - His parents pushed him so damn hard and there are lots of parents like that.

Don't under estimate the stupidity of others.

"The majority of cases have been linked with maximal overhead lifts of the sort associated with power lifting."

My point exactly - At that age everyone wants to lift as much as they can. Maximal weight for low reps is out. Exactely what i was saying.

I never once said he shouldn't lift - Just stay away from max compound exercises.

i know what you were saying. I was responding to a post stating that if you don't wait until you're at least 18 to train with weights you will be in "pain". that is NOT TRUE. That is what I was saying. Then it was a question of heavy squatting and research.?. This kid is being helped by his father who started this thread so hopefully he has told him not to clean and jerk 405 for 10....

Back