lower back injury while deadlifting

R1rider

hey fellas

been crusing lately

so 2 days ago while deadlifting 405lbs on my 5th rep when putting the weight down, i felt a little twich in my lower back followed by slight pain. after a few minutes i was able to finish my workout with shrugs(up to 505) which, i was able to do no problems and no pain.

i stretched my back out and have been taking ibuprofen which is managing the pain.
Doc appointment is today. i am worried that i may have seriously hurt my back. herniated disk? compression fracture?
i only feel pain when i try to get in and out my car, on and off the couch, bed etc. when im just sitting down i feel no pain. could it just be a strain?

i know its pointless to speculate till the doc checks it out but im freaking out. i finally have my body where i want it to be and now this shit......

If pain isn't directly in your spine then I would say almost positively it's probably just a simple pulled muscle, I've done this many times. Sometimes it will heal up in a week or two or if it's strained good or u keep pushing it might take 4-6 weeks.

Sounds like a strained muscle. If you don't have any radiating leg pain it's highly unlikely you have a disc problem.

I just tear my right lumbar muscle.

it occur the same pain as you describe, i wish you than it's just the sciatic nerve.

if not : idrocilamide in ointment twice a day and rest.

I doubt it. Quit the deadlifting for a while and give yourself time to recover.

agree.

deads are dangerous lol

i dont ever go above 315 just because im scared something will slip...all it takes is one wrong rep when going heavy and ur fucked for awhile

ill do like sets of 12-15

Hook your legs under a decline bench and lay back, let gravity do its work for no more then 2 minutes at a time. I did this for a back injury worked wonders for me.

If it were a tear or something more serious you'd be experiencing progressively worse problems today. What you're describing sounds like a simple muscle strain. Still needs rest and recovery time but you should be fine in a week with a proper recovery. Ice, ibuprophen, and stretch.

Thanks for all the replies. went to the doc and it was a strained muscle. thank god
i will stay away from deads and squats for a month. took the last three days off, today is bench day so hopefully it goes good.

shit was scary, the pain is almost gone now. will continue ibuprofen and ice

Rider.... If you got insurance, use it. Get an MRI (lumbar) and make sure your shit is straight. Although my chronic back pain/injury/ensuing surgery proved to be the beginning of my HRT/TRT way of life, I had waited about four years to long to do the right thing. My "slight twinge" proved to be the "unveiling" of Canal Stenosis" in all four levels of my spine, resulting in and open decompressive lumbar laminectomy of four levels (L3-S1), and the removal of the shards that were once my L4-L5 disc. Like EpicEd said, it was very progressive in nature. Literally, pure HELL for the better part of 6 years. Destroyed parts of my life bro. Not a sob story, just fact. I was so addicted to pain meds, that my fucking pain meds were addicted to pain meds. Got cut, kicked the meds, now I just wanna look like BIMMERDUDE and RJ!
Just be proactive bro! Good luck!!

I believe only chiropractic techniques in injury cases so i always contact Chiropractor Suwanee GA

Last edited:
lower back injury are muscular, if you use idrocilamide ointment, 50% of the pain will derease after 3 days.

it's something to think about.

well so i took 3 days off now and the pain is gone. will try the ointment Kane

had a great chest workout and even hit 355 on bench. im just staying away from sqauts and deads for a few weeks.

will be proactive chip. sorry to hear about your back problems

the doc said if the pain doesn't go away in 2 weeks to come in again and he will do everything (MRI etc). i feel good tho, hopefully its all good now

Glad to hear things are golden R-1... Fuck some surgery/injuries... I've had enough to last me a liftetime. Dont get spunout, if it takes a few weeks before u can return to those lifts. I know when I comeback from a injury, makes me thankfull I can even lift on a regular basis! Not in a wheelchair or something-
-Best
:Playboy:

Last edited:
Were you not wearing a good weight lifting belt? Form is everything when deadlifting, as soon as you try to cheat the movement you'll increase your chances of getting hurt. I deadlift 455lbs every other week with no problems. It's all about form.

Back