My contest results and pix

I have decided to take my trophies and call it a season. I need to fix my grade 3 separated shoulder immediately and then I want to put on 5-10 lbs in another off season. I got to do this asap since I cannot powerlift at all right now due to the injury. Works perfectly so I can take 6 weeks off, do light lifting and get my other priorities back in check. Then I go balls in.

Now that I know what i'm capable of, i'm gonna shoot for bigger and better next year. More mass in specific places and I should be able to challenge All-Natural BB titles at a national level down the road - or at least thats my hope. I may also be able to continue to push untested competition in the level 3-5 shows as well. Heck I beat out many huge guys on the juice the past 2 weeks. So we'll see how I do with 10 lbs of extra mass. I figure in 9 months of hardcore training, i'll get that 5-10 lbs if I do it right.

Cheers,
Bula

Post contest bloat is terrible. I have never experienced this before, but after a few days of fun eating after the final show, I have gained over 25 lbs (mostly water). This to me is remarkable. I have had my body so depleted from sugars for months and months, I knew i'd rebound but Jeeeeezus. Saturday I was 165, I am now 190. Incredible. I feel like a freaking lard. Cramps and swelling are all over.

From my reading this is normal and will subside with time, but it is kinda sad that after all this work, now a HUGE portion of my cuts are all but gone .. hidden under a huge amount of water and bloat. Not that I care. My work is over, but this part of the deal stinks. I'm drinking lots of water and trying to control my salt intake, but the damage is done. Oh well, eating ice cream and cookies is pure heaven. [Chomp chomp.] I guess i'll take it like a man. [Chomp Chomp.] Can you pass the hot fudge syrup please? [Chomp chomp]

Bula "the fata$$"

Doing off season now and up to 205lbs - a whopping 40 lbs above contest weight from 6 weeks ago. God I love the off-season. Lifting big and eating big. Yahooooooo!~

I have to say, I feel the best i've felt all year. Yes alot of the weight is water. I still see my abs clearly and have decent vascularity but nothing like what I was. Even still, I know that the past 6 weeks my body has been more anabolic than it has been in a long long time just from the rebound. Its a learning experience. I know I will not eat as hard as I did next time coming off the contests. It will be more gradual. But I do not feel that I have internal duress or any possible organ issues like Dirk mentioned - at least I don't have any signs of that. I was 205 in January and now i'm 205 in July. So i'm not anywhere I wasn't before. My strength is already at my maximums ever though. Given my shoulder issues, that alone makes lifting a joy even though it's heavy as sh^t these days. I love it.

In regards to doing a cycle, i've thought about it. Its a hard choice given that i've come so far naturally. But given my shoulder, I think 2007 may be my last heavy lifting year ever. 10 pounds though will put me over the top in my weightclass. I know I can win possibly several overalls if I dial in right. Juicing however is the only way i'll gain 10 lbs of muscle by next year. I know this. But for now, i'll give it another month before I decide.

Cheers.

Congrats

bula said:
I have to say, I feel the best i've felt all year. Yes alot of the weight is water. I still see my abs clearly and have decent vascularity but nothing like what I was. Even still, I know that the past 6 weeks my body has been more anabolic than it has been in a long long time just from the rebound. Its a learning experience. I know I will not eat as hard as I did next time coming off the contests. It will be more gradual. But I do not feel that I have internal duress or any possible organ issues like Dirk mentioned - at least I don't have any signs of that. I was 205 in January and now i'm 205 in July. So i'm not anywhere I wasn't before. My strength is already at my maximums ever though. Given my shoulder issues, that alone makes lifting a joy even though it's heavy as sh^t these days. I love it.

In regards to doing a cycle, i've thought about it. Its a hard choice given that i've come so far naturally. But given my shoulder, I think 2007 may be my last heavy lifting year ever. 10 pounds though will put me over the top in my weightclass. I know I can win possibly several overalls if I dial in right. Juicing however is the only way i'll gain 10 lbs of muscle by next year. I know this. But for now, i'll give it another month before I decide.

Cheers.
Hey Bula, Top Job my man!! It is possible to put on more than ten lbs w/out juice, but w/your shpoulder problem it will be a real challenge. Even on cycle if you do not fix the shoulder it will hold you back. I'm a veteran competetor of 12+ years. If I may make a criticism of the contest shots of your physique, I think you went over the top on cardio, you were already lean when you started your prep. You lost some lean mass during the phase. Your protein needed to be higher and cardio less. You dialed in a little stringy and flat. The other guy has legs all over you, and looked fuller, not just bigger. Hell I've been nudged out of first place by guys 20kg's lighter due to fuller looking muscles. I have never finished out of top 3 btw. If you are natty trying to diet your protein reqs are higher than juicers, only to save lean mass while dieting. I would consider a season off of comps to build some more mass and get your shoulder seen to. Then come back after your improvements and take home the bacon. You have the goods, your symetry is good. Work the legs harder, bring out the quad sweeps and nail your tris and back hard. You Natty boys always seem to lack a little density. Big three will fix that. Deads, Squats and Bench. Go back to the basics and you will add size. FYI On stage hgt 6' wgt Last comp 235lbs 3rd Southern Hemisphere. I'm 48. Keep up the good work bro and Great job on your first outing. Hope to see more in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks allgym for the comments. I'm a bit delayed with a response. I haven't been around this forum in a while. I agree with your comments with fullness and legs. But that will always be the case with natty vs juice. Coming into this show, I did get ultra lean. My coach and I felt that since I could not compete sizewize, I would have decent possibilities if I could peel as much as possible. Yes I did get smaller, but on stage it helped alot. I also had this guy everyway and Sunday on my back poses. But still, I only expected to place in novice, not win the whole show. So I was very pleased with the result.

I got my shoulder addressed in June. A cortizone shot was enough to handle the pain. I had another in November. So far, my shoulder has responded well. The "almost" missing ligament in question only hurts me on certain presses, but not all. As a result, i'm up to about 220 now and lifting houses it feels. This is by far my best and grittiest off season ever. All core and HUGE. Every week for 6 months, ive gone heavier and the intensity is through the roof. I also have a partner now who is training for his first BB contest and we push each other far beyond anything we ever expected. I know i'll make weight now. Legs and back are the biggest improvements.

Obviously i'm very confident now, at least for my class. I only want to hit a perfect dry 176 and nail middles in a Level 4 or 5 show. Thats all I can control.

Perfect clean diet starts Mid January with precontest cutting early March. Then 1st show in early June. I'll keep a detailed photo record of my progress and post here.

Back