My Year With 3J - a journey into fitness

I am starting to think I am not supposed to be a runner. I was feeling a bit better today, so instead of doing the no (or low) impact elliptical machine, I would run outside on the streets for some fresh air. I previously would get bad shin splints, but I fully healed from them and became a toe runner (barefoot runner, toe-heel runner, etc). I can do a 5k on my treadmill in under 28 minutes without any issues. Well, now I am suffering from plantar fasciitis. This is because I am now using the barefoot running shoes, which keep the heel to toe angle at 0 degrees, just like your bare foot. This is needed for toe running. The harder surface of the road is what did me in. I have HIGH arches, so combine that with the asphalt hardness and I doomed myself. I think I am just not ever going to be a runner. I am not out of shape, not overweight, don't turn my feet in, etc. I am just doomed to not be a runner, genetically.

This is too bad because a young, hot woman I know really wants me to run with her. She said he is bored running by herself and wants a running buddy. There is no chance of anything untowards happening between us - but it would boot my rep to be seen running with her. :) Gave it my best shot, though.

Back to using the elliptical machines for my cardio and doing more stretching to aid my feet in being at their best. Sigh...

EDIT: And now 3Js words are ringing in my head..."when sick..." WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS RIGHT!?! ;)

02-01-15

I did just learn something good. I have not been counting the weight of the bar when I am doing deadlifts, benching, squats, etc. It never crossed my mind that the bar would weigh enough to matter, but apparently it can be heavy. I have to ask Planet Fitness how much their bars weigh. This is good, I do not feel like such a weakling then! lol

*Weight: 168
*Neck: 15.5
*Chest: 38.5
*Stomach: 34.25
*Waist Line: 34.25
*Biceps: L: 12.5 R: 12.5
*Thighs: L: 22 R: 22
*Calves: L: 14.75 R: 14.5
*Forearms: L: 11 R: 11

02-08-15

I found out the bar in the free weight section weighs 45 pounds and the bar in the smith machine weighs 20 pounds, so I have been pushing that much more weight that I thought I was - I now feel less like a weakling. :) Also, be very careful about the types of flavored K-Cup coffee you use. I worked very hard on my cardio this week and expected to lose more weight than I did, so I looked at all the new foods and drinks I recently started to imbibe. One of the K-Cups was actually 60 calories a cup! This is in contrast to the 5 calories of all the other ones. Just wanted to toss that out there, you can accidently sabotage yourself with something you thought was not an issue.

*Weight: 166
*Neck: 15.75
*Chest: 39
*Stomach: 33.75
*Waist Line: 34
*Thighs: L: 22.5 R: 22.5
*Calves: L: 14.5 R: 14.5
*Forearms: L: 11.25 R: 11.25

I had my yearly physical with my doctor today. He was quite happy to see the changes in me. :) Also, my resting blood pressure is down to 94/52 and my resting heart rate is 87 bpm. I am quite happy as well.

02-15-15

Not much to expound upon, I am back to 165, though it was a hard fought battle. If it was easy, everyone would be walking around looking like they do in Star Trek, right? Why is it that, in the future, everyone is in great shape? Did they ban all junk food or something? Did they finally invent the magic pill that makes everyone look great with no effort? No, the future will have more out of shape people, but I will not be one of them!

*Weight: 165
*Neck: 15.5
*Chest: 39.25
*Stomach: 33.75
*Waist Line: 34

My sister-in law left two days ago after a week's visit. The day before she left, I had come home from the gym and had tossed my shirt into the wash and started it filling while making my rice for the post work out meal. I was in the kitchen and she came, looked at me, and said "by God man, put a shirt on - you are making me think thoughts about my sister's husband I should not think!" and walked out. Validation of positive improvement comes in many forms. :)

My sister-in law left two days ago after a week's visit. The day before she left, I had come home from the gym and had tossed my shirt into the wash and started it filling while making my rice for the post work out meal. I was in the kitchen and she came, looked at me, and said "by God man, put a shirt on - you are making me think thoughts about my sister's husband I should not think!" and walked out. Validation of positive improvement comes in many forms. :)

...and let the compliments roll in! Nice brother :)

It has been a while since I checked my bodyfat using my calipers. I just did so using the Jackson-Pollock 3 Caliper Method and it says I am 13.79% body fat. The pinches and measurements are taken on the chest (13mm), the abdomen (15mm) and the thigh (12mm). While I cannot say I am perfect using the calipers, my measurements are all repeatable within 1mm of each reading, so if nothing else, they are consistent and good enough to compare to previous readings.

I am quite happy - and I can SEE the reduction in body fat...I am now having to get more choosy in where I inject my HCG SubQ. :)

I use this site to do the caculations:

Body Fat Calculator

02-22-15

I did five cardio sessions this week and got in all major muscle group days except arm day - my wrist was hurting slightly and I did not want to make it worse. It hurts from time to time due to a bad car accident I was in when I was 17, fractured my left wrist on the steering wheel (and smashed the windshield with my head, back then seatbelts were not required when driving) - decades later I am reminded of it occasionally. But other than that, I was pretty much on point with everything.

My weight went up slightly, but my waist and stomach went down, so I am still happy. I am going to start a bulk very soon - 3J is creating the diet for it. Looking forward to a change in lifestyle. I am still seeing body changes with this cut, though slowly now, but I am ready for a change - five months of cutting is a pretty long time, even though I surely needed it.

*Weight: 167
*Chest: 39.75
*Stomach: 33
*Waist Line: 33.5
*Biceps: L: 12.25 R: 12.25
*Calves: L: 14.75 R: 14.75

EDIT: Changes in the last 5 months:

* Weight: -23 lbs
* Neck: -1.25
* Chest: -0.75
* Stomach: -6.75
* Waist: -4.5

* Biceps L: -0.75 R: -0.75
* Thighs L: -0.5 R: 0
* Calves L: -0.75 R: -0.5
* Forearm 3 inches from elbow L: -0.25 R: -0.25

Last edited:
02-22-15

I did five cardio sessions this week and got in all major muscle group days except arm day - my wrist was hurting slightly and I did not want to make it worse. It hurts from time to time due to a bad car accident I was in when I was 17, fractured my left wrist on the steering wheel (and smashed the windshield with my head, back then seatbelts were not required when driving) - decades later I am reminded of it occasionally. But other than that, I was pretty much on point with everything.

My weight went up slightly, but my waist and stomach went down, so I am still happy. I am going to start a bulk very soon - 3J is creating the diet for it. Looking forward to a change in lifestyle. I am still seeing body changes with this cut, though slowly now, but I am ready for a change - five months of cutting is a pretty long time, even though I surely needed it.

Ribght there with you brother been cutting since july and am thinking of changing it up to put on some lean muscle but I havn't looked this good ever and I'm from the old school if it ain't broke don't fix it LOL I never want to go back to the way I was.

Keep it up brother :)

I decided to put on some shorts to be comfortable after doing some moderate cardio today. Well, it appears I will need to do some clothing shopping before the summer season hits!

I decided to put on some shorts to be comfortable after doing some moderate cardio today. Well, it appears I will need to do some clothing shopping before the summer season hits!

AWESOME MAN! I honestly think that the journey teaches us so much about ourselves and really makes us stronger. Keep up the awesome work!

Eventually those compliments will really serve as motivation to push further. Who knows where you'll be this time next year. ;)

I posted this in another thread, but it deserves to be here too - simply because it has to do with me and I say it deserves it. :p

It took some time, but I finally got my "Muscle Performance" results back:

SNP Rs1815739

You can have a CC (also written as RR), CT (also written as RX), or TT (also written as XX) genotype on marker rs1815739. CT (or RX) is the most common form found. The R allele (ie rs1815739(C)) is associated with sprinters, while the X allele (rs1815739(T)) is associated with endurance athletes

Homozygotes being either RR or XX and heterozygotes being RX. XX individuals completely lack the expression of alpha-actinin-3. TT (also written as XX) is under-represented in elite strength athletes, consistent with previous reports indicating that alpha-actinin-3 deficiency appears to impair muscle performance.

People who seem to be able to lift forever without getting tired most likely have the TT (or XX) set of genes. The problem with this is that the release of alpha-actinin-3 also starts the chain reaction which causes the body to know it needs to repair muscle fibers and needs to grow muscles. People with the TT (or XX) genetic set need to work harder for the same gains as someone with CT (or RX) and both need to work harder than someone with CC (or RR) needs to work for the same gains.

I have CC (or RR) - Two working copies of alpha-actinin-3 in fast-twitch muscle fiber. Many world-class sprinters and some endurance athletes have this genotype. I have the ability to be an elite strength athlete due to genetics. VERY nice info to know!

I am officially about to start my bulking phase. I have ny new diet from 3J and simply need to do the multiplication and head out to Sam's Club to buy it. The timing is good because I needed to go soon to buy the next round of foods for cutting. I am now on a 3000 cal per day diet and taking Deca as well as a higher than normal Test Dose (I am on TRT, so I am already taking some).

Should I start posting the weights I move as well as my measurements? Not sure if people care about that much detail.

OK, so I just started on the new diet and taking the new medicinal aids to help with my bulk. 600mg of test-cyp and 400mg of deca per week, divided into two 3.5day shots. I can now see why people select the higher concentrated test...300mg per shot means 1.5ml - then add the 1ml of deca and I am injecting 2.5ml twice a week! WOW! At least deca is pretty thin.

So I really smashed it today on arm day - if I keep working it like I did tonight, a few months from now and I am going to look over at Phil Heath and ask him what it is like to be so small...

I have not worked this hard in a while, not sure why...I forgot how GOOD it feels to be wiped out like this...slightly shaking muscles a few hours later. Maybe watching Winter Soldier with my nephews in my dedicated theater room helped too. :) Whatever it is, I LIKE it! MOAR!

3/1/15

This week was a partial bulk week, partial cut. My numbers have not really moved, which is not a surprise. I am going to keep killing it to make the 2.5ml injections worth it! I should not be surprised by the amount, but I still am every time I see it in the syringe. My thigh easily takes it all (almost no pain), most likely due to how thin Deca is compared to Test-Cyp. Mix the two and the injection is not too terribly hard to push. I am shifting from 27g to 25g until the bulk is over, I think I am doing too much damage with the thin tip trying to push for so long of a time. This is going to eat up all my Test-Cyp reserves, but I suppose this is why I have it. I will slowly regain more reserves in time since my doctor believes in overprescribing test. He counts 1/4 of the bottle as waste - either through being unable to pull it out (I suck out every drop I can, personally) or that the stopper will fail (no doubt on this since he recommends pulling with 18g needles!). He also refills the scrips without a second thought. I SHOULD use one bottle ever 7 weeks (I think), but I get a new one monthly since I can. :) My doc is not the best, but he never says no when I ask for additions to my blood test (additions I learned to ask for here, I will add) and keeps me well stocked in test-cyp. I could do a LOT worse.

Anyway, my stats:

I should probably start logging my weights pushed, too...not sure if anyone cares to read them though.

Last edited:
I should have posted my pre-cycle blood work, so here it is, a little late. My LH and FSH are low, as expected because I am on TRT. My E2 is a little high, I did not take into account the increase caused by adding HCG to my regimen, so I will have to take that into account and maybe use a very small amount of AI during my normal TRT routine...though not sure if I will since I feel fine. Have to see after the bulk is over and I am back to steady state and then decide - no rush, I need to use one now anyway.

Code:
[B]LabCorp	PATIENT INFORMATION	REPORT STATUS:  FINAL
COLLECTED: 2015/02/19 09:07
FASTING: Yes

Test Name[/B]
WBC	7.3                           3.4-10.8 x10E3/uL
RBC	5.39                         4.14-5.80 x10E6/uL
Hemoglobin                     16.5                                 12.6-17.7 g/dL
Hematocrit                       48.5                                 37.5-51.0 %
MCV	                               90		                      79-97 fL
MCH	                               30.6		                      26.6-33.0 pg
MCHC	                       34.0         		              31.5-35.7 g/dL
RDW	                               15.1		                      12.3-15.4 %
Platelets	                       231		                      150-379 x10E3/uL
Neutrophils	               60
Lymphs	                       28
Monocytes	                      10
Eos	                               2
Basos	                       0
Neutrophils (Absolute)	      4.3		                      1.4-7.0 x10E3/uL
Lymphs (Absolute)	      2.1		                      0.7-3.1 x10E3/uL
Monocytes(Absolute)	      0.7		                      0.1-0.9 x10E3/uL
Eos (Absolute)	              0.1		                      0.0-0.4 x10E3/uL
Baso (Absolute)	              0.0		                      0.0-0.2 x10E3/uL
Immature Granulocytes      0
Immature Grans (Abs)     0.0		                      0.0-0.1 x10E3/uL
Glucose, Serum	             96		                      65-99 mg/dL
BUN	                             21		                      6-24 mg/dL
Creatinine, Serum	    1.05		                      0.76-1.27 mg/dL	
eGFR If NonAfricn Am	    85		                              >59 mL/min/1.73
eGFR If Africn Am	    99		                              >59 mL/min/1.73
BUN/Creatinine Ratio	    20		                              9-20
Sodium, Serum	            141		                      134-144 mmol/L
Potassium, Serum	    4.4		                      3.5-5.2 mmol/L
Chloride, Serum	            100		                      97-108 mmol/L
Carbon Dioxide, Total	    24		                              18-29 mmol/L
Calcium, Serum	            9.6		                      8.7-10.2 mg/dL
Protein, Total, Serum	    7.0		                      6.0-8.5 g/dL
Albumin, Serum	            4.6		                      3.5-5.5 g/dL
Globulin, Total	            2.4		                      1.5-4.5 g/dL
A/G Ratio	                    1.9		                      1.1-2.5
Bilirubin, Total	            0.7		                      0.0-1.2 mg/dL
Alkaline Phosphatase, S  109		                      39-117 IU/L
AST (SGOT)	            38		                              0-40 IU/L
ALT (SGPT)
Testosterone, Serum	   38		                              0-44 IU/L
Testosterone, Serum	   705		                      348-1197 ng/dL

[B][COLOR="#0000FF"]Luteinizing Hormone(LH), S	
     LH	                  0.1	             LOW       	     1.7-8.6 mIU/mL
FSH, Serum
     FSH	                  0.2	             LOW	             1.5-12.4 mIU/mL[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#FF0000"]Estradiol	                 45.0	             HIGH	             7.6-42.6 pg/mL
Roche ECLIA methodology[/COLOR][/B]

Last edited:
3/8/15

I realized I did not post my stats this week. I was surprised that not much changed, so I started logging everything I do - and I realized I was inadvertently skipping a meal EVERY DAY! I just am having trouble eating so much food! I am still full from the last meal, so I do not even think about the next. I am going to start setting a timer on my watch for every 3 hours...

Onto the stats:

*Stomach: 35
*Waist Line: 34.25

I am doing the 3J reverse pyramid workout plan, so you all already know what that entails. I will just start logging when I increase the weight,, which I did on everything just last week - by 5 or 10 pounds, depending on what the next weight set it. I will give a spattering of weights I push, and use the same ones as a reference. Currently, I am pushing (all numbers are in pounds and include the weight of the bar - heh):

Flat Bench Press (15, 4, 6, 8, 20): 130, 180, 140, 120, 90
Dead Lifts (15, 4, 6, 8): 115, 185, 155, 145 - I want to ensure my form is perfect so I do not injure my back so my increases are slower here
Side Lateral Raises (15, 4, 8, 8, 20): 25, 35, 30, 25, 20
Squats (15, 4, 6, 8): 110, 180, 170, 160

Odd, I cannot edit my last post. Anyway, the stomach entry is incorrect, it should be:

*Waist: 33.75

I did not have a two inch gain on my stomach in one week. :)

Back