New Gym, New Machines

Megarity

Hi All

Long story short I have changed Gyms from a large high end gym with absolutely everything I could need.
The gym I am at now is kind of shit and doesn't have a lot in it.

My main issue is they have no benches. No incline, no decline, no normal bench, no preacher bench, no curling bars... the list goes on.
They just have the basic leg machines and a chest press and shoulder press.
Fine, I can still use them I just wont get the shape and look I'm really after if i don't learn new routines.

They have a big Smith there. Its a big empty metal cube and apparently I can do everything I want on it but I just don't know how to use them. I want perfect technique and so this is where I am struggling.

Does anyone know of any good documentaries/articles or videos that go through the Smith machine and good techniques?
Kai Greene style videos would be perfect.

I deserve to be laughed at for this so here goes...

I moved in with the girlfriend who lives a few towns away. I work even further away. Was leaving home at 7am and not getting back home until 10PM.
This new gym is a 2 minutes jog from our place so its convenient.
Its part of a network so i can go to like 15 gyms as long as i pay for an induction with them first. £25 a month... 12 month contract. Kill me now. Most stupid decision I have ever made.

I'm trying to be positive about it and just learn how to use a fucking smith properly even though I HATE them.

I was reading and I'm thinking ok down grade a little maybe a good thing, get back to the basics. Then you started naming off every machine a gym would have. Are you sure its not a rehab facility or something. Take the extra time and find a gym a little further away.

People underestimate body weight exercises. You can always wear a back pack or girlfriend while doing push-ups, squats, ect.... Well you get the point.

Managed to nail some decent chest exercises on the smith yesterday. Actually quite sore. Gotta concentrate on squeezing and tensing the right areas more so than with free weights so its actually a nice change after all.

The Girlfriend as just signed up to the same gym too.

I found a good article here:
The Ultimate Smith Machine Workout Guide - MuscleMag

Hog928 I agree pal. It will be good to get some solid foundation work done.

I deserve to be laughed at for this so here goes...

I moved in with the girlfriend who lives a few towns away. I work even further away. Was leaving home at 7am and not getting back home until 10PM.
This new gym is a 2 minutes jog from our place so its convenient.
Its part of a network so i can go to like 15 gyms as long as i pay for an induction with them first. £25 a month... 12 month contract. Kill me now. Most stupid decision I have ever made.

I'm trying to be positive about it and just learn how to use a fucking smith properly even though I HATE them.

jesus, i only pay £10 a month for my gym lol

There's no good way to train with a smith machine. I'd look into buying yourself a home gym or switching gyms.

There's no good way to train with a smith machine. I'd look into buying yourself a home gym or switching gyms.

I think i'm leaning towards a home gym for sure. Progress has all but stopped.
I'm going to either bite the bullet and sign up for another gym on top of my existing contract.... or home gym.

I think i'm leaning towards a home gym for sure. Progress has all but stopped.
I'm going to either bite the bullet and sign up for another gym on top of my existing contract.... or home gym.

In my mind home gym always rules. No commute time or gas to drive anywhere but your own home, no waiting for the power rack, no distractions, the equipment you can buy could potentially be much better than a commercial gym, and you'll save money in the long-term.

I've found used/rebuilt and in some cases brand new power racks (with pull-up bar) for $200-500, a good Eleiko powerlifting bar and weightlifting bar ~$300 each (be VERY very careful if buying a used bar) some good plates and bumper plates, 2 clamps, a flat or adjustable bench, dip bars, make your own platform for power rack, a prowler and I'd be happy. I've priced it out at ~$800 for the cheapest I've been able to find (quality is questionable) or ~$1300 for a pretty darn good setup (some items are used but good condition).

Back