Open heart surgery for Mike Matarazzo

I got my cholesteral checked by my endo last week. My cholesteral was 130 but my HDL was 38 . It has been low since I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor.The Dr. then put me on Felodipene to bring my HDL back up. It's a mother fucker getting old. Eat Right,Keep Fit and Die anyway

Realgains said:
I can't believe that he didn't know that he had a crappy lipid profile for years ....you simply cannot get plugged up coronaries without a shitty lipid profile.

:(

This is absolutely 100% not true. I have a friend who had a heart attack and full blockage at 42 and never had a bad cholesterol test, same thing with the pitcher on the Cardinals who passed.

Another reminder of how important it is for regular blood work.

I'm starting to wonder if steroids are really worth the risk.

I thought this was interesting.

Sonny Schmidt died at 46
> Scott Klein died at 30
> Ron Teufel died at 45
> Dan Duchaine died at 48
> Mohammed Benaziza died at 28
> Andreas Munzer died at 30
> Mike Mentzer died at 49
> Ray Mentzer died at 47
> Don Ross died at 55
> Dr. John Tristany died
> Don Peters died
> Ray Raridon died
> Arnold Schwarzenegger (heart problems)
> Don Long (kidney failure)
> Tom Prince (kidney failure)
> Flex Wheeler (kidney transplant)
> Ed Corney (stroke)
> Boyer Coe (heart)
> Danny Padilla (heart)
> Pete Grymkowski (heart)
> Lyle Alzado died at 42
> Curt Hennig died at 44
> Davey Boy Smith died at 39
> Louie "Spicolli" Mucciolo died at 27
> Ravishing Rick Rude died at 40
> Brian Pillman died at 35
> 62 Finnish power-lifters suspected of using steroids died at a rate five times higher than average

jcp2 said:
This is absolutely 100% not true. I have a friend who had a heart attack and full blockage at 42 and never had a bad cholesterol test, same thing with the pitcher on the Cardinals who passed.

Sorry....you are right bro.....but it isn't common.

RG
:)

Realgains said:
Sorry....you are right bro.....but it isn't common.

RG

No it definately isn't common and both the people i stated should have been under a watchful eye because both their fathers died at around the same age they were when they had their heart attacks.

I guess I feel lucky at 54 . I don't know if steroids were involved with everyones life that you posted but it does make a difference. People should live longer then there previous elders but when steroids are involved it does'nt seem like it. It seems as hard to quit as dope sometimes.

HGH Man said:
I guess I feel lucky at 54 . I don't know if steroids were involved with everyones life that you posted but it does make a difference. People should live longer then there previous elders but when steroids are involved it does'nt seem like it. It seems as hard to quit as dope sometimes.

Yes...it's a very strong mental addiction.

RG
:(

SWALE said:
In fact, nearly everyone who takes them will experience negative side effects to some degree. Doctors are just now learning we need to not only ask about muscle pain (which occurs much more frequently than is reported)--a sign of myopathy ("muscle disease") but also simple fatigue.

Statins raise the risk of cancer, probably due to their effect of dramatically lowering Vitamin D.

They elevate Lp(a)--a serious marker for generalized inflammatory response as well as cardiovascular disease.

I have seen doctors lower CHOL into the 120's, and think nothing of it. Droppingbelow 140 causes hypogonadism, becasue the body does not have the raw material to make not only the sex hormones, but other important bioactive substances as well.

CHOL levels that low also induce polyneuropathy--especially dangerous for diabetic patients.

They also deplete CoQ10, which causes muscle failure--especially dangeorus to the heart. Anyone on a statin drug should take CoQ10.

It is not WHAT level your CHOL and LDL reach as much as it is HOW they get there. If you remove the trans fatty acids, for instance, the same CHOL and LDL level becomes much less significant. That is because LDL's are not oxidized as much. And really only oxidized LDL's are dangerous.

FISH OIL! FISH OIL! FISH OIL!

Just some food for thought.

What do you think about orthomolecular EPA & DHA? I use do much fish oil I smell like a fish.
A funny note: I had this chick say I smelled really good and asked what kind of cologne I was wearing(this has happedned several times). LOL

I told her "Special Secrete blend" the lotion I put on my skin mixes with the fishy smell coming out of my pores and turn drives women wild :insane2: :druggie:
If I don't put on any lotion after I shower it doesn't smell tuna- like. Just like I've been fishing.

Mike always used steroids mildly, and was always off them during non-contest prep time.

Yeah. Just like Arnold was only using for 4 weeks before a "difficult competition." :sleep:

EZstreet said:
What do you think about orthomolecular EPA & DHA? I use do much fish oil I smell like a fish.
A funny note: I had this chick say I smelled really good and asked what kind of cologne I was wearing(this has happedned several times). LOL

I told her "Special Secrete blend" the lotion I put on my skin mixes with the fishy smell coming out of my pores and turn drives women wild :insane2: :druggie:
If I don't put on any lotion after I shower it doesn't smell tuna- like. Just like I've been fishing.

Nordic Naturals - Arctic Cod Liver Oil (orange flavor)

http://www.crohns.net/page/C/PROD/Essential_Fatty_Acids/NNL5478

No fishy smell or taste whatsoever.

About half of those hospitalized for cardiovascular disease have "normal" CHOL levels. You must come to understand the concept of "risk factors" to interpret this fact appropriately.

Thank you for the list of bodybuilders--I have wondered what happened to some of those guys.

SWALE said:
About half of those hospitalized for cardiovascular disease have "normal" CHOL levels. You must come to understand the concept of "risk factors" to interpret this fact appropriately.

Excellent Point. It goes deeper than the following but here's a decent summation:

Risk Factors for Cardiovascular Disease
Stephen Barrett, M.D.

Cardiovascular diseases are the leading cause of illness and death in the United States. The majority of cases stem from atherosclerosis, a condition in which cholesterol, fat, and fibrous tissue build up in the walls of large and medium-sized arteries.

In coronary heart disease (CHD), the arteries to the heart muscle (myocardium) are narrowed. Reduced blood supply to the heart can result in chest pain (angina pectoris) or other symptoms, typically triggered by physical exertion. If a narrowed blood vessel is completely blocked by a blood clot, the area of the heart just beyond the blockage is denied oxygen and nourishment, resulting in a heart attack (myocardial infarction).

Like other degenerative disease processes, atherosclerosis can take years to develop. Diet is implicated because the deposits on arterial walls contain high levels of fat and cholesterol. Studies of both humans and animals have shown links between dietary habits and atherosclerosis.

At least ten risk factors can help predict the likelihood of CHD: heredity, being male, advancing age, cigarette smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity (especially excess abdominal fat), lack of physical activity, and abnormal blood cholesterol and homocysteine levels. The more risk factors a person has, the greater the likelihood of developing heart disease. Heredity, gender, and age cannot be modified, but the others can be influenced by the individual's behavior.

Several of these risk factors are interrelated. Obesity, lack of exercise, and cigarette smoking can raise blood pressure and adversely influence blood cholesterol levels. Several studies suggest that exposure to environmental tobacco smoke ("passive smoking") also increases the risk of developing heart disease [1-2]. Some authorities believe that emotional stress is a risk factor, but the evidence for this is not clear-cut.

Exercise offers many benefits. People who exercise tend to live longer and have less cardiovasular disease than those who do not [3]. A well-designed exercise program can increase stamina and endurance, lower blood pressure, improve blood cholesterol levels, help with weight control, help lower abnormal blood sugar levels, reduce stress, improve sleep, and help prevent osteoporosis. Exercising vigorously is advantageous, but even moderate exercise has important protective effects [4].

Blood cholesterol levels should be determined by a screening test called lipid analysis (or lipid profile), which measures the levels of low-density lipoproteins (LDL), high-density lipoproteins (HDL), and triglycerides, as well as the total blood cholesterol levels. If LDL is too high or HDL is too low, a medically supervised corrective program should be started. The National Cholesterol Education Program recommends measuring cholesterol levels at least once every five years [5]. People with abnormal levels should have them measured more often than those who do not.

References
Steenland K. Passive smoking and the risk of heart disease. JAMA 267:94-99, 1992.
Kawachi I and others. A prospective study of passive smoking and coronary heart disease. Circulation 95:2374-2379, 1997.
Blair SN and others. Changes in physical fitness and all-cause mortality: A prospective study of healthy and unhealthy men. JAMA 273:1093-1098, 1995.
Lee, I, Hsich C, Paffenbarger RS. Exercise intensity and longevity in men. JAMA 273:1179-1184, 1995
Grundy SM and others. Summary of the second report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults. JAMA 269:3015*3023, 1993.

Last edited:
Just curiuos, is arterial plaque reversable at any point. Meaning if you have some plaque but as you get older you take all proper precautions does the plaque degrade over time.

jcp2 said:
Just curiuos, is arterial plaque reversable at any point. Meaning if you have some plaque but as you get older you take all proper precautions does the plaque degrade over time.

YES it can bro......one example is the late Nathan Pritikin. He was very plugged up and had a heart attack in his 40's and then changed his diet big time....when he died of cancer years latter his coronaries where examined and they where as clear as a whistle.
He was very radical in his approach to fat reduction though and became a vegan, and he didn't take any omega 3 and 6 oils, and some people think he died of cancer because he didn't get much in the way of essential fatty acids.
I remember Udo Erasmus mentioning this in a seminar of his I attended.

But you don't have to be that radical...limiting saturated fat,avoiding trans fats found in partially hydrogenated oils and vegetable oil shortening,limited frying in cooking and frying only at low heart and with hard fats like small amounts of butter, getting plenty of omega 3 and 6 oils, taking some antioxidants like vit C, E selenium, carotenes etc, staying lean and doing cardio will help a lot. I have done some research on the natural supp policosinol and it does wonders for total cholesterol and hdl. Go to www.medline.com and do a search.

Smoking is probably the dumbest thing anyone can do in this regard so don't smoke.

I like this link and the FAQ section
www.udoerasmus.com

RG

Last edited:
I feel bad for the guy as he always seemed like a real good guy. But he did run some insane dosages. 3grams/test and 1gram/Deca for long periods is a ton of gear.

I would go so far as to recommend COMPLETE elimination of trans fatty acids. Thre will always be some sneaking in, and a treat now and again is good for the soul, but this is what we should be striving for every day.

mike

if anyone knows an update to how he is doing fill us in...I cant seem to find it anywhere.....I think I`ll go to musclemayhem and ask Tom Prince or Atwood, they should know

legz

Flex it said:
Another reminder of how important it is for regular blood work.

I'm starting to wonder if steroids are really worth the risk.

I thought this was interesting.

Sonny Schmidt died at 46
> Scott Klein died at 30
> Ron Teufel died at 45
> Dan Duchaine died at 48
> Mohammed Benaziza died at 28
> Andreas Munzer died at 30
> Mike Mentzer died at 49
> Ray Mentzer died at 47
> Don Ross died at 55
> Dr. John Tristany died
> Don Peters died
> Ray Raridon died
> Arnold Schwarzenegger (heart problems)
> Don Long (kidney failure)
> Tom Prince (kidney failure)
> Flex Wheeler (kidney transplant)
> Ed Corney (stroke)
> Boyer Coe (heart)
> Danny Padilla (heart)
> Pete Grymkowski (heart)
> Lyle Alzado died at 42
> Curt Hennig died at 44
> Davey Boy Smith died at 39
> Louie "Spicolli" Mucciolo died at 27
> Ravishing Rick Rude died at 40
> Brian Pillman died at 35
> 62 Finnish power-lifters suspected of using steroids died at a rate five times higher than average

I don't know that schmiedt was died ?
On the other hand scott klein wes dead in a car crash, not because of the sport !

Back