Polk County Couple At Center Of Steroid Bust

Sandra & Richard Thomas
Polk County Couple At Center Of Steroid Bust

Posted: 7:05 am EDT May 27, 2009Updated: 12:05 pm EDT May 27, 2009
POLK COUNTY, Fla. -- A central Florida man arrested in a major anabolic steroids bust told investigators he sold to professional athletes, including players on the Washington Nationals and Capitals, authorities said Wednesday.

Richard Thomas boasted about selling steroids to professional baseball, hockey and football players, saying, "You name the sport, and I've sold steroids to athletes who play it," the Polk County Sheriff's Office said.

Authorities said Thomas didn't name specific players, and they have no evidence he sold to players on those teams.

Investigators who searched Thomas' house in Lakeland on Tuesday recovered thousands of anabolic steroid pills, injectable liquids and syringes with an estimated wholesale value of $100,000, said Carrie Eleazer, a spokeswoman with the sheriff's office. They also found several weapons, including loaded semiautomatic handguns.

Thomas and his wife, Sandra, were charged Tuesday with several counts of possession of illegal steroids, firearms, and maintaining a dwelling for drug use. Sheriff's records did not list an attorney.

A spokesman for the Capitals said the team is gathering information and expects to have a statement later. Messages seeking comment weren't immediately returned by the Nationals, Major League Baseball or the National Hockey League.

Local authorities executed search warrants after receiving information from agents with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Philadelphia.

Thomas told detectives he imported steroids from all around the world, including Iran, Pakistan, Slovakia, Russia, China, Turkey, Spain, Mexico and Germany. The sheriff's office said both Thomas and his wife were semiprofessional body builders, and that he claimed to be the largest steroids dealer in central Florida.

"He was very boastful," Eleazer said.

Thomas' mother told detectives the suspect was introduced to steroids by his father. When asked about steroids, Thomas told investigators, "It's all I've ever known," according to the sheriff's office.

I would feel safe if I knew this guy lol... guy cant shut up

You would feel safe????

If he gets pressured and he will...he's chirping like a bird. Friggin RAT!!!

Hockey is the one sport that doesn't test. Could you imagine if they did!!! All those fights would stop:worried:

Wow, I'm so glad the law dogs got these "Bad seeds" off the streets. Now I can sleep safe at night. What a way to spend my hard earned tax dollars :fawk2:

You would feel safe????

If he gets pressured and he will...he's chirping like a bird. Friggin RAT!!!

Hockey is the one sport that doesn't test. Could you imagine if they did!!! All those fights would stop:worried:

I think you missed the lol I put there.. and the sarcasm haha

Back