Post-workout ... Shake then eat? Or eat then shake? Difference?

Massive123

Knowledge is Power
I usually down a shake right after my workouts...but sometimes when I get home there's a good hot meal waiting for me. I usually get home from my workout, have a shake, then eat 30-40 mins after. Sometimes my timing isn't perfect or dinners ready early...my question is does is matter if I eat first & then have my shake 10-15 mins after I eat or should I always have the shake first & then eat??

Might not make a difference but I want to be 100% sure I'm chosing the right way.

Hopefully 3J can chime in here....

Shake first. If bulking or maintenance I would go for 50g whey isolate with 40g carb from either dextrose, maltodextrin, or my favorite waxy maize. You want to take advantage of insulin spike pwo to shuttle nutrients into your muscles. Then 1-1.5 hours later have your ppwo meal with a lean protein source and complex carbs.

Being in contest shape I'm sure you know your shit so thanks Freqfly. Is this true even if the meal is high in protein? I suppose liquids break down quicker so they'd get to the muscles quicker? Is that why??

That among other things. I prefer isolate because of how quickly it digests. You want to feed your depleted muscle cells right away, you can down a shake right after training within a few minutes while a food meal will obviously take longer. But again, have your ppwo meal an hour to two later. Yes it should be high in protein.

That among other things. I prefer isolate because of how quickly it digests. You want to feed your depleted muscle cells right away, you can down a shake right after training within a few minutes while a food meal will obviously take longer. But again, have your ppwo meal an hour to two later. Yes it should be high in protein.

X2. A shake will digest much quicker, and it's easier IMO. Do you include carbs too, or just protein? I like to include some semi-simple carbs. A lot of people have different theories on post-WO carbs, so I'd like to hear your guys' choices.

For me it just depends on off or on season. Right now I'm keto so my pwo shake is 48v isolate with either 15 almonds or 1 tbl natty pb. Off season I do 40g waxy maize rather than fats.

To be honest I've always gotten good results with just a shake & then a good meal 30mins-1 hour after... Never added carbs w the shake. I'm curious if it makes a big difference but I've always been happy with my results... Now I'm cutting too so I'm real light on carbs anyway.

Freqfly, are you a believer in the carbs w the protein shake pwo? Do you think gains are dramatically enhanced w this method?

Last edited:
yea guys.. shake first meal after.. this should make sense. the shake is there to hit your system quick when your body is in a nice anabolic state.. case closed...

Massive it really depends on how insulin sensitive you are. You may just want to try it. I notice that when I add waxy maize pwo in the off season I have more energy after my workout and I recover faster. Damn... I miss carbs...

The old thinking or more or less what was "feed" to the public by supplement companies / magazines was to hit a shake up right after working out to take advantage of the postworkout window.

First thing is throw the idea of "postworkout" window out of your vocabulary. Its the lamest term used in bodybuilding. Every meal is just as important an no one meal should be thought to do more then the next. Second if you are following this rule nitrogen levels within the body are still going to be elevated postworkout from the previous meal. Do you think those 3 meals prior to working out are completely digested and you are getting no nutritional benefits from them? Use your head guys and stop looking at research done by a supplement company that promotes how great their product is.

Wether you drink your shake or eat a whole food meal after working out will make no difference in your muscular gains.

Interesting. I agree most studies are done to support or in part of marketing a product. Between that and conflicting opinions, even amongst those who know their shit, sometimes the truth is really hard to determine and/or different for everyone.

On a side note I needed more whey protein so I ordered some carb formula too. What's the suggested ratio for protein/carbs? Are these ratios the same while cutting?

hey freqfly,
You think a mixing fast acting with slowing acting carbs/pro would be good? BTW i know maltodextin isnt considered slow but its slower than dextrose.
maltodextrin 40g and dextrose 40g=80g carbs
WPI/WPC 25g each=50g pro

This works on growth for me. It's very simple.
100 grams of carbs, 100 grams of protein post-workout.
20-30g of fat.

(these foods are fast acting, and are consumed within 30 min of workout.)
50 grams of whey with water imm. after workout
50 grams of simple carbs (potatoes)

take shower...
(long acting carb and protein)
1/2 cup oats (52g carb)
1 cup of chopped boiled chicken breast (50-60g protien)

BTW I eat 4 times per day this is the second meal.

This works on growth for me. It's very simple.
100 grams of carbs, 100 grams of protein post-workout.
20-30g of fat.

(these foods are fast acting, and are consumed within 30 min of workout.)
50 grams of whey with water imm. after workout
50 grams of simple carbs (potatoes)

take shower...
(long acting carb and protein)
1/2 cup oats (52g carb)
1 cup of chopped boiled chicken breast (50-60g protien)

BTW I eat 4 times per day this is the second meal.

interesting... stats?

Crios, many swear by doing a 50/50 mix of malto/dex. I personally am an avid fan of waxy maize. It's a complex carb but has 300 times the molecular weight if dextrose. Imagine you're in the ocean and a cruise ship goes past you, beause of the weight displacement it would suck you into it's wake (nutrients being absorbed into your muscles IE aminos, glucose, creatine, etc). Now think of a jet ski cruising by you, you would barely move. Similar concept. And with waxy I have NO bloating at all, which some make that complaint when using dextrose.

I take my shake to the gym with me and slam it down as soon as I'm done my workout. Shower and drive home allows it to digest so I can eat again when I get through the door.:beer::beer:

Thanks freqfly.

Gonna order some supps from trueprotein and wanted some opinions. Ill order some lbs of waxy and WPC/WPI.

Back