Pullinbig & Crew, What's Your Opinion Of This Routine???

Texas Ranger

Fellas, what's your opinion of this routine? Do you think this routine would be effective for an advanced weight trainer? If I try it, it'll be on Monday, Wednesday & Friday alternating A & B. Any tips or modifications?

Workout A

Squats- 3 x 5
Flat Bench- 2 x 6-8
Barbell Rows- 2 x 6-8
Military Press- 2 x 6-8
Close Grip Bench Press- 2 x 6-8

Workout B

Deadlifts- 3 x 5
Incline Bench- 2 x 6-8
Pullups or Reverse Grip Pulldowns- 2 x 6-8
Curls(Barbell Or Dumbbell)- 2 x 6-8
Calves- 2 x 10

I might sub Front Squats for Squats every other workout. I workout at home and can do pretty much do any exercise you can think of. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!!!

I don't see how that can be effective. Not tryin to be an ass bro cause lord knows when I started out I had some bizaar routines as well. Your mixing too many compound movement's in one day. Your also not puttin enough into each bodypart. It's good to space out bigbody parts amonst your workout's. Check out pullinbig's routine on page six of the deadlift thicken waist sticy on this board. I think it will suit you much better.

Texas Ranger said:
Fellas, what's your opinion of this routine? Do you think this routine would be effective for an advanced weight trainer? If I try it, it'll be on Monday, Wednesday & Friday alternating A & B. Any tips or modifications?

Workout A

Squats- 3 x 5
Flat Bench- 2 x 6-8
Barbell Rows- 2 x 6-8
Military Press- 2 x 6-8
Close Grip Bench Press- 2 x 6-8

Workout B

Deadlifts- 3 x 5
Incline Bench- 2 x 6-8
Pullups or Reverse Grip Pulldowns- 2 x 6-8
Curls(Barbell Or Dumbbell)- 2 x 6-8
Calves- 2 x 10

I might sub Front Squats for Squats every other workout. I workout at home and can do pretty much do any exercise you can think of. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!!!

that looks nice as a 2/w routine (not 3/w). id save the squats on A for last though. once i squat im shot for the most part. and 2x5 is plenty for squats and deads. also make your close grip and militarys in the 10 rep range wit lighter weight. these are more of an assitance movement for bench anyway.

looks solid though, esp if you cross training. good luck and keep me posted of your results. i love 2 day splits. i have always made good gains off of them. they are almost essentail for athletes like yourself who are lifting as a secondary sport or looking to enhance their main sport.

Last edited:
pullinbig said:
that looks nice as a 2/w routine. id save the squats on A for last though. once i squat im shot for the most part. and 2x5 is plenty for squats and deads. also make your close grip and militarys in the 10 rep range wit lighter weight. these are more of an assitance movement for bench anyway.

looks solid though, esp if you cross training. good luck and keep me posted of your results. i love 2 day splits. i have always made good gains off of them. they are almost essentail for athletes like yourself who are lifting as a secondary sport or looking to enhance their main sport.

good points..you may find you dont need to do militar with all the pressing..if thats the case you may want to sub in some side laterals or some mega high rep front presses..my delts were killing me last bench day and i did a 40 rep set of dbell presses almost instantly they felt better..

looks like a good routine

inked1 said:
how come you would have him training chest 3 times a week PB?

i said its a good routine for a 2/w split. lifting 2 times per week.

thats bsically a dc/wsb combo cept done twice a week insted of 4x (wsb) or 3x (dc).

its fine and dandy but squats take a lot out of ya... might want to do a separate leg day... just my 2 cents

pullinbig said:
i said its a good routine for a 2/w split. lifting 2 times per week.

thats bsically a dc/wsb combo cept done twice a week insted of 4x (wsb) or 3x (dc).

thanks

gottabadrash said:
its fine and dandy but squats take a lot out of ya... might want to do a separate leg day... just my 2 cents

Yeah, theres no-way I could hit the flat bench then barbell rows ater squats, ouch. I would be walkin out the gym like a hunchback that's a lot of strain on your lower back. Im glad I work all the compund exercises on seperate days. If I were going to only workout two days a week I think I would be more careful and split it up different. Maybe workout A. Squats, flat bench, military press, then B. Back, arms

so do your squats last.

i have a few of my trainees on a 2/w split. they making great gains.

chest shoulders tris squats and calves in one day. i used t do it too. works very well.

pullinbig said:
so do your squats last.

i have a few of my trainees on a 2/w split. they making great gains.

chest shoulders tris squats and calves in one day. i used t do it too. works very well.

That sounds like a nice split. I just cant do back and legs same day, but what you just mentioned Im might eventually try. Truthfully I never thought that your 3 day routine would be effective but I decided to give it a run and you sound like you know your shit. Anyway Im lovin it. Always feel fresh and recovered.

Back