Putting a home Gym together

BiggerthanLavar

Hey all, since I can't really find a good gym near my new home, I've been thinking about putting together a home gym in my garage. What equipment would you guys suggest? Well, obviously a bench and some olympic weights etc. but what do you guys think? I'm willing to spend some money here. If anyone knows of some good web sites to buy stuff or some good deals in general post em. Also please suggest some equipment that is necessary to accomplish my main goal- GETTING BIGGER!

Thanks

Oh and don't even suggest bowflex or any other crap home gym. I'm talkin free-weights, different benches etc. Lemme know what you guys are feelin.

I've got a decent home gym. 90% of my equipment came from New York Barbells. Good stuff and shipping is included in most purchases.

By your actual weights from a local sporting good store (Sports Authority, Dick's, etc.) they ususally have 300lb oly sets for $99 ea.

When you are shopping for your flooring go to a Souther States, Tractor Supply or local feed store and ask for Horse Trailer mats (4'x6'x3/4" thick) usually $40 ea. This is alot thicker and 1/2 the price of "Gym flooring" yet is a better product.

Dumbells are expensive... www.ironmaster.com is the best deal for a full set of dumbells @$750 for 10-120lb dumbells and they don't take up alot of room which is very important in a home gym.

Don't get a dedicated bench press machine. Use the rack and spend the money on a decent flat/incline bench ($300 is a good deal on a quality adjustable bench). Pay attention to the height of the bench in the flat position if it's too tall you will hate it.

Don't buy a power rack with a lat pull and dip station all together. Buy seperate pieces of equipment if you want quality.

Gretak 90% of my stuff came from nybarbells too lol. Good sturdy equipment.

I have:

A Power Rack
A F.I.D. Bench
Lat Pulldown station
Dip/LegRaise/Pullup Station

3 7' bars - One for deadlifts, one for power rack, one for bench.
600-800 lbs olympic plates.

A stationary bike. ALl i want is a standalone bench to slide in and out of the power rack and im all set i think.

Get a grappler...If I can help our stuff is a little pricy but I will give you a good deal...cannot beat ny barbell in price but can in quality

well let me ask first. wtf is a grappler big guy?

i saw a pic of it with loui doing something biut it aint clear.

Last edited:
gretak911 said:
I've got a decent home gym. 90% of my equipment came from New York Barbells. Good stuff and shipping is included in most purchases.

By your actual weights from a local sporting good store (Sports Authority, Dick's, etc.) they ususally have 300lb oly sets for $99 ea.

When you are shopping for your flooring go to a Souther States, Tractor Supply or local feed store and ask for Horse Trailer mats (4'x6'x3/4" thick) usually $40 ea. This is alot thicker and 1/2 the price of "Gym flooring" yet is a better product.

Dumbells are expensive... www.ironmaster.com is the best deal for a full set of dumbells @$750 for 10-120lb dumbells and they don't take up alot of room which is very important in a home gym.

Don't get a dedicated bench press machine. Use the rack and spend the money on a decent flat/incline bench ($300 is a good deal on a quality adjustable bench). Pay attention to the height of the bench in the flat position if it's too tall you will hate it.

Don't buy a power rack with a lat pull and dip station all together. Buy seperate pieces of equipment if you want quality.

Hey gretak911 , what height should the flat bench be?

I was going to buy a new Parabody Squat rack a few months ago, and the place I was at had a Prospot System. I tried it out and really liked it, so I bought it. A little pricey, but well worth it. It works good for benching, squats and seated military and other exercises. Best invesment I made. No spotter needed and you still have the full free weight advantage.

MULE said:
Get a grappler...If I can help our stuff is a little pricy but I will give you a good deal...cannot beat ny barbell in price but can in quality

If i were going to skimp, it would not be on a powerack. That can become dangerous at some point, and i have heard some not so great things about the NYBarbell in this department. I have a GHR from them, and it is fine for my bedroom. Some other bars and things may be OK from them as well, but the cornerstone of a home gym is going to be your powerrack, and i woudl definately spend the extra cash and talk to mike about thsi.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/
All my stuff came from there. A good rack, with a multi bench, Olympic weight set, maybe an EZ curl bar. You don't need much more than that. The standars bech they recommend goes from decline, to flat, to 90 degress, with stops in between. You can get a rack from there, with high and low pullys, and the service is fantastic. I bought a military press chair 2 years ago, just opened it to find no bolts, probably came out the hole in the box one of the many times I moved it. Emailed them, told them the story, had bolts in 3 days.

Football_Bill said:
http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/
All my stuff came from there. A good rack, with a multi bench, Olympic weight set, maybe an EZ curl bar. You don't need much more than that. The standars bech they recommend goes from decline, to flat, to 90 degress, with stops in between. You can get a rack from there, with high and low pullys, and the service is fantastic. I bought a military press chair 2 years ago, just opened it to find no bolts, probably came out the hole in the box one of the many times I moved it. Emailed them, told them the story, had bolts in 3 days.

Thanks guys, but I ended up just joining a damn gym. I figured i'd be spedning nearly 1500 on a "decent" home gym so a 2 year contract at my local gym was cheaper. Thanks for all the great advice though. at the end of my contract I might do the home gym thing.

Back