Rookie Question: Smith machine or free weights when no spotter is available?

Riki246

I like to workout late at night when no one is at the gym, usually around 10-10:30 depends when I get off work. My question is, can the smith machine be less beneficial that then free weights for bench, shoulder press, shrugs?

I've been hitting the gym for the last 8 years and doing the smith machine. I've never worked out with anyone usually because its a distraction and because I go so late.

Im no novice with the weights by any means but could always use a lesson on proper gym technique?

What do y'all prefer???

free weights activate stablizing muscles.. so yes they are more beneficial..

but if you feel you might need a spot better to play it safe..

so either knjow your limits.. or if youre trying to push to limits use the smith

i never use smith, do bench press then finish with db press to fail IMO. using dumbbells you can do pretty much everything you mentioned without a spotter.

you mean to tell me your gym is entirely empty at 10pm? there is not 1 person there you can ask to spot you? i dont believe that

i think you should still use dumbells

Flys build chest. Fuck bench. I like smith machine for front squats.

interdasting.jpg

For a bodybuilder, the advantages of free weights over machines is MUCH less than people think.

In general, keep the heavy stuff to machines and use free weights for lighter, higher rep work - nice mix of both.

For a bodybuilder, the advantages of free weights over machines is MUCH less than people think.

In general, keep the heavy stuff to machines and use free weights for lighter, higher rep work - nice mix of both.

Absolutely agree 100%. My gym is PACKED when I go, but I still prefer to use a good machine over the bench for pressing (I'm in love with the hammer strength decline machine). It's just that I don't trust others that aren't a regular training partner (haven't had one in ages) as heavy presses are going to require two spotters, and I really don't want four plates plus falling on my neck.

For functional strength, free weights are superior - but straight up hypertrophy, I've yet to see any real difference between the two. Just take it easy on shoulder presses, they can do a number on your rotators, especially on the Smith - where it's a fixed angle that's not really natural.

My .02c :)

My shoulder has basically gave up on me and I have relied so much on hammer strength incline press to activate the shoulders that I think that for longevity they are superior. Machines are great. I still like doing free weight squats tho.

Having torn a rotator cuff in my left shoulder years ago, combined with me pushing 50 (still have at least a COUPLE of years before I hit that milestone...) I use the smith machine for both flat and incline bench press almost exclusively...and follow up with Dumbbells and other lifts for finishing exercises...

That said, I have read more than just a couple of articles on the benefits of using the smith machine for bench press...while I started using it because of a fear of re-injury, I felt validated by the article...and you can STILL make some substantial gains using the smith: I started (several years ago) at 225 (after factoring in the counter weight) and have (finally) works my way up to 380lbs for 5 reps...although I freely admit that my joints still scream in agony when I go that heavy.....

At 51...and u2 will be there you do what you can SAFELY...I prefer free weight s but when alone or with a bunch of rookie s around I go with machines as a bad spot is worse than none at all..

Really though, since when has anyone cared about class or manners over the internet?

I think we're all guilty of using derogatory terminology to some extent in our day to day lives. Everyone loves a good black joke, a good dead baby joke, blonde joke, or even a stand up comedy act where the performer bashes every racial and political group out there.

A meme making a slam on the mentally handicapped is no worse than any of that. I suppose I should go ahead and apologize ahead of time, in case you happen to be offended by all of the things above and are an absolute saint by nature.

-_-*

Well let me tell you all something. I have a down syndrome child. I know first hand what they go through in life and how distasteful it is to make fun of them. They are ten times as strong as anyone of us and that's with the steiods ! They know their different ! But they still have the courage to go challenge life 100%. We ae so insecure that we use drugs to enhance are physique ! Maybe not all of us but the majority. And to make fun of them over us is funny in its self. You can never stand the challenges in life that theydo on a daily bases. I know he was joking and I rarely say something but when I do they usually own their mistake and agree its distasteful. I guess the guy that started this has to much ego to do that.

Back