rotator cuff repair question

drk1

I tore my rotator cuff a few weeks ago and the Orthopod wants to repair it surgically. He wants to do it through an arthroscope. It is a 9mm tear and I am an active 45 year old.He said 3-4 weeks in a sling then rehab. My question is will my use of HGH help with the rehab (2u 5 days a week) and will I be able to lift heavy again. Thanks in advance for any advice. p.s. I am willing to up my dose of hgh if it will help.

OK. I didn't get a response but I see a few people have popped in to take a look at the question. There must be some interest so let me tell you about my recovery and what I did. I was taking 2iu of HGH 5 days a week for about 5 months prior to the injury. I tore my shoulder and had to have it surgically repaired. The post operative recovery was SLOW to say the least. I increased my HGH to 3iu a day and thought it would help with the rehab. I've now returned to 2iu a day.Maybe it did help, but not much. The one thing that it did help with was fat loss over the 6 month no lifting period. although it was probably the increased cardio. I'm not sure what the rehab would have been like without HGH but the physical therapist and surgeon called the timeline to the week without the knowledge of the patient taking hormone replacement.(probably not good) I don't think that the extra expense was worth the questionable gain. I wouldn't do it again. Hope this helps.

I'm guessing you are a big muscular guy and I jus' wanted to chime in on this. I am currently going to school to become a physical therapist and I've interned at ATI Physical Therapy here in Chicago. What I've noticed is that the muscular or athletic guys don't take the therapy sessions seriously. The ligaments around the rotator cuff are hard to work on and sometimes the exercises construed by the therapist is overshadowed because the big guys think it's too easy for them and in return, are not isolating those ligaments. Especially, when they give you a theraband and ask you to work out. Basically, your other surrounding muscles are compensating for the workout and the ligaments aren't being trained.

Forgive me if I offended you by questioning your work ethic regarding therapy but maybe it's the reason why you had a slow recovery. I'm jus' trying to give you some insight from another perspective.

Hey no offense taken. Actually I took the physical therapy VERY seriously. I was told this injury just takes forever to mend. I have always been very tight and range of motion was the issue. I am still doing the exercises that the surgeon and therapist have prescribed in addition to my normal routines. The recovery took so long because the injury was delaminated. I shredded my shoulder pre surgery trying to strengthen the cuff before the repair. What an idiot!

It's hard to tear those particular ligaments that are embedded around the scapular muscles other than a tight isometric contraction against a resistive force where your distal segments of your arms are fixed.

Example: People who are not active but weak, usually tear their rotator cuff by shoveling snow.

For athletes, hyper-extension or hyper-flexion of the arm may cause a tear if those ligaments aren't strong.

It's hard to tear those particular ligaments that are embedded around the scapular muscles other than a tight isometric contraction against a resistive force where your distal segments of your arms are fixed.

Example: People who are not active but weak, usually tear their rotator cuff by shoveling snow.

For athletes, hyper-extension or hyper-flexion of the arm may cause a tear if those ligaments aren't strong.

Dude how can I get into physical therapy? Im looking to change careers and this interested me a bit... I guess I would actually start out as a physical therapy asst/aide? Whats the pay really like as well?

I thought I had a similar injury. I went to doc and did MRI. He said my rotator was not torn, but it was bruised and had fluid on it. It was inflamed. The injury happened when I was drunk out of my mind. I had a big scrape on my forearm near my elbow. So, I recently thought that I was maybe trying to catch myself while I fell. This could really be an AC joint injury rather than a rotator cuff injury.

Anyway, both of my shoulders bother me from time to time especially when lifting heavy consistently. The only thing that helps is Ibuprofen and ice and rest/time off from working the deltoids etc... I go off for a few weeks, then light for a few weeks, then heavy for one week, then back to light for a few weeks- thats the best I can do for it to get some work. I tried IGFLR3 because I heard it may help with repair. I did not really notice anything. But after your surgery I believe the HG or probably more quickly acting IGFLR3 would be beneficial to you in your recovery from the incisions and possibly strengthening that general area as well as other muscle receptor sites. I guess its worth looking into at least. With the IGFLR3, general dosage is 40mcg/day pwo, intramuscular (muscle worked that day-or in your case just in the shoulder) generally bilaterally. You can also take it subcutaneous. You cycle on 4 weeks, then off 4 weeks. I did 2 cycles like that and hoping to see some accelerated muscle growth when I start my AAS. I did not inject subcutaneous into the abdomen as some suggest, in order to stay away from intestines (the intestines have great number of receptors that will cause some growth/expansion of abdomen). Some have said that the IGFLR3 compared to the GH is more bang for your buck, but you will have to do some more research on the two to make a choice that best suits you. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I injured my shoulder lifting. Flat bench. I had subachromial inpingment syndrome from years of competative swimming. I blew out my wing in a juice induced lifting rage. What an ass! ( My wife's exact words). The bone spurs acted like a rasp and weakend the ligaments over the years. The surgeon said it is pretty common. I'm fine now and feel better than I have in years. I have had shoulder pain as long as I can remember. But no longer. I sleep like a baby and only use ibuprofen to ward off an evil hangover headache.

To get into PT school, you need a BA degree. It doesn't matter in what field surprisingly but I have one year left of completing a BA degree in Movement Science. In addition to the BA, (depends on school) you need to take Calculus, Physics I & II, Abnormal or Developmental Psychology, Statistics, Chemistry I & II and Biology I & II. I probably forgot a class or two.

Back