Side delt raises - bad habits!

bigben66

Fellas,

Can anyone help me...

I'm 41, 210 lbs, been training for 24 years and currently about 8-10%bf...

I seem to have developed a bad habit when doing side delt raises - I seem to use more trapezius involvement than side delt involvement, and as such, at the end of a set, my traps are on fire and my side delts don't even feel like they've been worked... I've tried rolling my shoulders back before the set, leading with my little finger, using cables, everything, and somehow I always seem to have the same issues...

Has anyone else had this problem before? And if so, how did you correct the issue?
It's only been an issue for the last few months - and I've noticed that my delts this summer are smaller than last year - and my traps larger...

To be honest - it's doing my head in :(

Firstly, if you have been training seriously then your delts probably have not become smaller it's just your traps have become bigger and this overpowers your delts.

One thing that worked for me with regards to lateral raises (and keeping the focus on my middle delt) is that I started holding the dumbbells on my sides instead of in front of me. My ROM started and stopped there. I flexed my shoulders through the entire movement, even at the start I would hold my arms out from my sides a ver short distance, bend my elbow slightly and flex my delts and not take the tension off until the end of the set. Finally, I would keep my head/chin up. I found this made me keep the tension on my already flexed delts. That may sound stupid but it worked. Oh and check your ego because you definitely cannot go as heavy doing them this way, nice and slow with a hard contraction.

I've also gave some new exercises a try for growing my side delts:
- Unwinding Press
- Gironda dumbbell swing
- Landmine lateral raises

Also, maybe you could try training them twice a week. If muscle soreness allows for it. Just another suggestion.

Hope this helps!

I usually hold the dumbell with my fingers and thumb on the same side....and really just try to concentrate on using only my deltoid to raise the dumbell up...make that mind to muscle connection as Arnold always said

One thing that worked for me with regards to lateral raises (and keeping the focus on my middle delt) is that I started holding the dumbbells on my sides instead of in front of me. My ROM started and stopped there. I flexed my shoulders through the entire movement, even at the start I would hold my arms out from my sides a ver short distance, bend my elbow slightly and flex my delts and not take the tension off until the end of the set. Finally, I would keep my head/chin up. I found this made me keep the tension on my already flexed delts. That may sound stupid but it worked. Oh and check your ego because you definitely cannot go as heavy doing them this way, nice and slow with a hard contraction.

That's actually one thing I haven't tried PitBull - shortening my ROM - That's one to toy with on my next shoulder workout...
I can also try constant tension reps too...

FYI: I know my limits... I very rarely use more than 35lb dumbells - and that's on a good day!

I usually hold the dumbell with my fingers and thumb on the same side....and really just try to concentrate on using only my deltoid to raise the dumbell up...make that mind to muscle connection as Arnold always said

I used to rep with that grip Vin... but I suffered bad tennis elbow a couple of years ago - and found the thumb underneath helped... I might try dropping the weights a bit and using straps - thanks for the tip buddy!

That's actually one thing I haven't tried PitBull - shortening my ROM - That's one to toy with on my next shoulder workout...
I can also try constant tension reps too...

FYI: I know my limits... I very rarely use more than 35lb dumbells - and that's on a good day!

Technically yes it shortens your ROM but I have found bringing the dumbbells in front of me before I begin a lateral raise causes my front delt to become engaged as well. Therefore, all the focus is not on my side delt. Plus I just find it doesn't hit my side delt as well. Probably because by starting from the front you almost have to bring the dumbbells "back" whereas starting from the side you can just keep the dumbbell on a string almost, just up and down. I hope that makes sense.

Liking the look of the Gironda swings and the Landmine raises PitBull!!

Great additions to the repertoire...

Top man! :)

Not a problem! One last thing, I started training just my side and rear delts on "shoulder" day and hitting my front delt with just some form of pressing after chest. I can't speak to it yet because like I said I only started but it lets me focus on my side and rear delts more to create that 3-D look and although I cannot do as nearly as much weight I find the pump I get in my front delts from just a few sets after hitting chest is awesome! Maybe something else for you to try out

Back