Some updates on cycle and pics . 230lb .

Gainjin ,, You never heard of Arnold Schwarzenegger

Who?

His weekly volume may be about the same or higher (per body part), but he hit each body part 2-3x/wk. 5-6 sets of anywhere from 6-12.

DW's individual workout per body part volume is much higher than Arnold's. I don't see these routines as being very similar except that the weekly volumes are both high.

DW total back reps per week- 700
Arnold- (taken from http://generationiron.com/workout-schwarzenegger/)- approx 900 assuming 3x/wk(using 10 reps for all instead of 6-10 and 10 for deadlifts)

So Arnold does 300 reps/workout per body part and DW does 700.

Also- 33 reps on leg press for 6 sets? Unheard of volume, at least for me.

Last edited:
The more pain from pumping blood into the muscle the more you are going to grow. How do you think girls get better quads and leg development than men, they do alot of volume with lighter weight

So Arnold does 300 reps/workout per body part and DW does 700.

Also- 33 reps on leg press for 6 sets? Unheard of volume, at least for me.

without knowing the amount of weight that is being pushed per exercise, we would not know who is doing more volume . more reps and sets does not necessarily equal more volume . if Arnold is doing half the amount of sets , but much much more weight , then Arnolds volume actually adds up to being higher.

'Tension' (.ie, amount of weight) is a key factor in calculating volume . otherwise you could do 1 pound dumbbell curls for 10,000 reps and be the volume king , yet have no bicep

its like in physics . what is 'force' , well is F= ma . force equals mass times acceleration . if you get rid of the 'mass' factor or make it zero , then the acceleration factor can be super high , but the force is still zero , cause there is no mass .

same with calculation of work load volume , the amount of weight comes into play heavily

I don't think it's much use then, for most of us, to compare our volumes to current or former Mr. Olympias.

I wasn't using the term correctly, my mistake. I guess I meant number of reps.

I don't think it's much use then, for most of us, to compare our volumes to current or former Mr. Olympias.

I wasn't using the term correctly, my mistake. I guess I meant number of reps.

i think when you do the calculations for the actual volume of a mr olympia caliber guy , you'll find that a majority of them do very high volume.

here is an olympia guy doing his bench press volume , and he only does 4 sets is all
405 lb x 15 reps x 4 sets = 24,300 volume

here is an average gym guy doing his bench press , and he does TWICE as many sets, yet his volume is still less
205 lb x 12 reps x 8 sets = 19,680 volume

the amount of actual workload that the olympia guy put in and the amount of overload and volume was much higher due to the amount of tension that he put into his 4 working sets.

The more pain from pumping blood into the muscle the more you are going to grow. How do you think girls get better quads and leg development than men, they do alot of volume with lighter weight

I recently went from 3-4 sets of 6-10 to 5 sets of 15 per exercise. I feel it's been effective. I'm thinking of increasing the volume even more.

Even though I've been at this for many years and was strong and big in my 20's I'm still learning. I don't think I went over 12 reps ever early in my lifting career. Maybe 3-4 sets. That. seems to be the mindset of a lot of people.

High volume/reps is probably less popular because ego lifters can't "impress" people with heavier weight. I'm 36 now and training at a university gym while stateside. I'm bigger than 99% of the people there (I've got years on all except for a few grad students) and I don't give a fck if some dude who weighs 165 is pushing more weight than me. Before I always thought it was suspicious when a huge guy was working less weight than me for high reps. Like I said, still learning a lot.

Doesn't your strength go up while on a cycle ?

If your strength goes up and your pushing more weight , even if you do the same amount of sets , reps, and time under tension , your volume increases because 'weight moved' is part of the equation in calculating total volume.

225 lbs x 10 total sets x 10 reps = a volume of 22,500
235 lbs x 10 total set x 10 reps = a volume of 23,500

so if everything looks exactly the same with sets and reps , but strength goes up just 10 pounds is all , you get 1000 pounds of more volume.
so if your strength goes up at all while on cycle, then so does your total volume

being on an AAS cycle increases your MRV (maximum recoverable volume) . your strength goes up and your recovery goes up (this is a physiological fact , and reason why we use AAS). so again, even if your workout looks exactly the same on cycle or off cycle , the 'volume' and 'recovery' are changed none the less.

Hey Roush , yes you are right .... i never thought about it hat way . i always considered valume just to be like my amount of reps and sets . but when u consider voluyme that way .. then yes my volume goes up for sure . only thing thats increasing are my weights when i get stronger on cycle . the rest stays the same always .

I recently went from 3-4 sets of 6-10 to 5 sets of 15 per exercise. I feel it's been effective. I'm thinking of increasing the volume even more.

Even though I've been at this for many years and was strong and big in my 20's I'm still learning. I don't think I went over 12 reps ever early in my lifting career. Maybe 3-4 sets. That. seems to be the mindset of a lot of people.

High volume/reps is probably less popular because ego lifters can't "impress" people with heavier weight. I'm 36 now and training at a university gym while stateside. I'm bigger than 99% of the people there (I've got years on all except for a few grad students) and I don't give a fck if some dude who weighs 165 is pushing more weight than me. Before I always thought it was suspicious when a huge guy was working less weight than me for high reps. Like I said, still learning a lot.
Exactly man ... it realy is the overall volume and time under tension that seems to do it . Those high reps fill the muscle with blood . makes it feels like its going to explode . This is why for legs specificly i hit super high reps , the pumps on the leg press are surreal . Also i never realy go ever under 10 reps per set . ever . only recently that im trying to get my bench up to repping 315lb for 4 sets of 10 ( my goal ) ... that ill do sets of 8 ... but if i drop under 8 for that exercise ... time to grab a lighter weight ... and this applies for all exercises

315x10x4?! Goddamn dude whats your max at right now???

if he hits 315x10 , then his max is right around 419 pounds. the equation below for on rep max.

weight x reps x .0333 + weight = estimated one rep max

:)

the equation comes in handy when putting together training protocols and blocks where people will be training primarliy to a percentage of their one rep max. so instead of having to do one rep maxes all the time and tax the CNS , you can just use the estimated equation and develop your program around that

315x10x4?! Goddamn dude whats your max at right now???

Thats my goal brother im hoping for ... but im not there yet . right now im hitting 295 for 2 sets of 8 , then dropping to 275 for 2 sets of 8-10 . ... i want to be at a point i can hit 315lb for 4 sets of 10 ... then drop . in time hope haha . and im not sure my one rep max , i hardly ever do that .... afraid of injury and not too worried about strength in that sense of training

Back