Sprinting day after legs, bad idea?

Razela

I'm thinking about playing football this year, and I'm kinda tight for time.
I do a bit of legs on Sunday, and was thinking of doing some 40, 80, 100 yard sprints. Is this a bad idea the day after legs? The pain should go away after a couple sprints, but I'm talking about letting the legs recover? or is sprinting not breaking the muscles down again?

thanks.

Man I played college football and we would run all the time, also some sort of leg work 4 days a week (back squat, front squat, overhead squat, one leg squat, step ups, etc etc.) That running doesn't seem hard though.. that's more like conditioning. If you were doing heavy speed training I would say do it on a different day. This way it will just feel harder when you're doing it.

Razela said:
Thanks a lot. Wasn't sure if it was too much or not. It is mostly conditioning like you said.
Yea shouldn't be bad. I don't know if you've ever been to a good speed trainer (sport specific), but my legs are usually worn out more from that than a tough leg workout.

i always slowed weigh down during season on my heavy leg workouts, i mean you need to do some kinda of legs during season but just be weary of overtraining. I wrestled and found it hard to do hard sprints/running after a long leg day so i would work to maintain,.

{R}a{G}e said:
i always slowed weigh down during season on my heavy leg workouts, i mean you need to do some kinda of legs during season but just be weary of overtraining. I wrestled and found it hard to do hard sprints/running after a long leg day so i would work to maintain,.
Def. true, but football is a fall sport.

I blew my hammy playing & going all out the day after legs....wish I had not:(
If you had to I would not go beyond 75%.
When I met Doug Flutie I asked him how he stays injury free at 40+ and he told me he NEVER goes 100%,playing or practise as you eventually will break it trying max!
Unless it's the big play everything is done at 90% max. I would say if you are under 25 you could probably handle it but after 25 it takes alot longer for your body to repair!
So if you are training for a game do a little more endurance and save the 100% for gameday,after all that where it matters.

i know that eastern bolck training focused on doing sprints right after leg workouts, but im sure you should be fine doing sprints the following day. there is a lot of supportive muscle in the legs, i'd judge by how you feel-play it by ear.

Actually my problem was unbalanced legs where my quads were twice as strong as my hamstrings.My Dr. was at two olympics with the Canadian track team and recommended for every 2 sets of quads I set of hamstrings within the 8-15 rep range,but that is for track not bodybuilding.hope it helps.

parrish said:
I blew my hammy playing & going all out the day after legs....wish I had not:(
If you had to I would not go beyond 75%.
When I met Doug Flutie I asked him how he stays injury free at 40+ and he told me he NEVER goes 100%,playing or practise as you eventually will break it trying max!
Unless it's the big play everything is done at 90% max. I would say if you are under 25 you could probably handle it but after 25 it takes alot longer for your body to repair!
So if you are training for a game do a little more endurance and save the 100% for gameday,after all that where it matters.
That's coming from Doug Flutie.. 1. He's a QB, 2. He was already a pro when he told you that.

You won't make any progress if you don't practice at top speed all the time. That's like saying never lift more than 75% of your weights and expect to get anywhere.

Always go top speed unless your INJURED, not HURT.. big difference.

Muscle imbalance is a huge prob when it comes to pulling muscles.. I had the same problem, but it was my hip that was tight, which caused my leg to want to rotate in, resulting in a high hammy pull.

Back