Squats kill my back... and neck.

many people who get back pain from squats either let their back round out instead of keeping it arched back or they put the bar up top high on the shoulders / neck , the higher the bar is the more stress it places on the lower back.

What type of Squat are you doing? This is from a standard "Barbell Squat"

Exercise Data

Main Muscle Worked: Quadriceps
Other Muscles Worked: Lower Back, Hamstrings, Calves, Glutes
Equipment: Barbell
Mechanics Type: Compound

Tips: Rest a barbell on the upper portion of your back, not your neck. Firmly grip the bar with your hands almost twice your shoulder width apart. Position your feet about shoulder width apart and your toes should be pointing just a little outward with your knees in the same direction. Keep your back as straight as possible and your chin up, bend your knees and slowly lower your hips straight down until your THIGHS ARE PARALLEL TO THE FLOOR. Once you reach the bottom position, press the weight up back to the starting position. Don't lean over or curve your back forward! You can use a Belt to help reduce the chance of lower back injury. You can put your heels on a 1 inch block to further work the quads. You can also use a wider stance to work the inner quads even more.

Video:

Windows Media Player: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2003/barbellsquat.wvx
Real Player: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2003/barbellsquat.ram

(Information supplied from Bodybuilding.com)

If this doesn't help then I would suggest getting qualified help. Go to a gym and ask somebody to watch you and to correct you OR get a personal instructor for that workout.

Last edited:
perhaps you are trying to squat too much weight? just a guess as you did not indicate poundages, but could be a cause....

i'm thinking that the bar is much to high, it's basically right off of the bottom of my neck. i'm going to let it sit further down and support the bar with my arms better.

i was only squatting 220.

What I have done in the past is take a large towel and wrapped it around the bar so that when I rest it on the upper portion of my back there is a "comfort" level. I have also seen gadgets that do this.

I rest the bar across my traps, no pads, and as opposed having a wide grip on the bar I keep the hands closer to my shoulder, within reason, to garner a better control of the weight I've placed on the bar. I do not elevate my heels but keep my feet flat on the ground so that I insure that I push through my heels and not toes. If I wish to concentrate on quads more than glutes I change to a Front squat or Zurch Sqaut style of lift. Back always arched and deep breath before decent and huge exhale on the way up.

How much do you weigh? I noticed you're pressing 220 and was curious. If the bar is hurting your shoulder even when you've changed resting it on the lower portion of your traps it's time to add Shrugs and Bar Holds to the routine.

My suggestion: adopt powerlifting squats. Widen the hell out of your stance and place the bar very low, below your traps. Read dave tate's "squatting from head to toe" article for more details (google will show you where to find it). Good luck.

I rest the bar across my traps, no pads, and as opposed having a wide grip on the bar I keep the hands closer to my shoulder, within reason, to garner a better control of the weight I've placed on the bar. I do not elevate my heels but keep my feet flat on the ground so that I insure that I push through my heels and not toes. If I wish to concentrate on quads more than glutes I change to a Front squat or Zurch Sqaut style of lift. Back always arched and deep breath before decent and huge exhale on the way up.

How much do you weigh? I noticed you're pressing 220 and was curious. If the bar is hurting your shoulder even when you've changed resting it on the lower portion of your traps it's time to add Shrugs and Bar Holds to the routine.

i weigh 215. i wasn't really squatting that much. my max dead lift is 375 so my squat should be somewhere around there, as previous people have said, the bar is probably too high, i'm going to keep it lower neck time.

for gods sake your not a little kid or a girl , you weight 215 pounds so leave off the towels , foamy things , etc. . just start practiceing a little until you find a good groove on your back to squat with . if you cant find it find a gym in your area and watch some powerlifters lift and ask them to show you what your doing wrong .

i agree with dawg....screw the pussy pads! as far as the weight question goes, just had to be sure that an unreasonable amount of weight wasnt wreaking havoc on your form. experiment with bar placement and get back to us!

Hey, each to their own. I prefer the towel for comfort, my preference ... just like some people like to wear gloves and others don't ... some people like belts and others don't. Just remember, you are lifting for YOU and nobody else so make the experience your own not what somebody else thinks it should be.

I find when lifting something double my own weight I might as well be comfortable doing it. The extra cushion on my upper back/lats gives a good buffer to my neck so that I'm not thinking about the bar gnawing into my skin but I'm thinking about lifting the weight properly and getting the most from the lift itself.

Hey, each to their own. I prefer the towel for comfort, my preference ... just like some people like to wear gloves and others don't ... some people like belts and others don't. Just remember, you are lifting for YOU and nobody else so make the experience your own not what somebody else thinks it should be.

I find when lifting something double my own weight I might as well be comfortable doing it. The extra cushion on my upper back/lats gives a good buffer to my neck so that I'm not thinking about the bar gnawing into my skin but I'm thinking about lifting the weight properly and getting the most from the lift itself.

+1 im the same way man, also when I get into alot heavier weight there is no oh pussy you wear pads.. no dude it pops blood vessels under my fucking skin making me look like a beat victim or some shit, ravages the skin. I feel the pad lessen s the severity and allows me to concentrate more on the weight as well as maneuverability.

Sorry with all respect I disagree. Everyone is different. You may want to try to go lighter for a while until you find that comfortable spot to hold the weight. If it is bothering you then buy the manta ray pad product and you can concentrate on the form rather than the bar digging into your neck. I have had two shoulder ops and find it uncomfortable to try and hold the bar back on my shoulders where it should be. My shoulder just wont pivot that far back. I am thinking about getting the foam pad as well. Everyone is built different and if the pad helps you to put up more weight in a safe manner then give it a shot. -

I have long arms and am not easily able to put the bar deep down on my back without causing me shoulder issues, solution for me - front squats and other forms of leg work. I never felt good doing light back squats for high reps (15-20) or heavy back squats, all in all they just don't feel good with anything but a warm up weight.

My front squat is 90% of my back squat and it doesn't cause me pain.

Hey Rich - Just tried this the other day 'cause I had a tite/sore back:
Squats in the Smith machine; rubber pad on the bar for neck; feet in front so at the bottom you are in a chair like seated position; feet more than shoulder width apart - toes pointed out. Somehow this takes the back out of it and it just hits the quads & glutes! - it was awsome.

At the risk of being called a girl I also use the manta ray for the following reasons.

Instead of the force concentrating in one small area, the Manta Ray increases the surface area by more than 1600% finally making it more possible to focus on the movement. The front projections help keep the bar from trying to roll off your back. This allows me to use a more erect posture because it stops my bodies tendency to bend forward in an attempt to take the stress off the shoulders.

I also found using small weight plates under the heels helps me keep good posture and form. Since doing this I have doubled what I was squatting less irritaing back injuries but = good pump and results.

Back